• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Spring Time in Montana Oldtimer???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Buckskin

Reaction score
I think it is springtime. The extended forecast is for 50's all next week. What do you think Oldtimer? Calves are sure soaking up the old sun today. 8) 8) 8)

Buckskin said:
I think it is springtime. The extended forecast is for 50's all next week. What do you think Oldtimer? Calves are sure soaking up the old sun today. 8) 8) 8)

Beautiful--Took the grandkids to an easter egg hunt- Just driving home I can see 3 new babies that came while I was in town--Cows and calves are layed out soaking up the sun--- I heard a meadowlark and some song birds this morning- spring is sprung...Need to go tag some babies- but this is 10 times better than calving in the snowbanks of last year....

Might be spring time in MT but here in the Rocky Mtn. foothills of NM it thinks it is still winter. We have had another 4 or 5" of snow yesterday afternoon and this morning. Only good thing about it is very wet and melting almost as soon as it hits the ground. :p

nenmrancher said:
Might be spring time in MT but here in the Rocky Mtn. foothills of NM it thinks it is still winter. We have had another 4 or 5" of snow yesterday afternoon and this morning. Only good thing about it is very wet and melting almost as soon as it hits the ground. :p

Do you usually get snow this time of the year? It seems like southern USA is getting more snow every year.

nenmrancher said:

I'm in Albuquerque today (SAT), and it snowed here today. It's snowing in Santa Fe, too. Not really sticking though down here, and it's just showers. nenmrancher, please send me an email if you can. Thanks!

OT, Dont count all your spring chickens before they ve hatched. We all know how fast a blinding spring blizzard can blow in right? :?

Manitoba_Rancher said:
OT, Dont count all your spring chickens before they ve hatched. We all know how fast a blinding spring blizzard can blow in right? :?

Oh- I haven't taken off the long johns yet-Most calves I ever saw lost was in a storm that hit May 5th a few years ago... Not good...But this year is definitely better than last year-- Last year during calving, the snow was so deep you couldn't even get around on a 4 wheeler or 4X4 pickup... Everything was horseback or on foot- everybody was moving out cattle and hay preparing for the record flood they predicted that thankfully never came...Just a little easier so far this year......Predicting temps around 60 today....... :D

Spring sure hit here this week in central MN. Up until Tuesday I never heard nor seen any summer birds. Then first the Killdeers on Tuesday, Robins and Morning Doves on Wed, And then came the Sandhill Cranes and Red Wing Blackbirds. Snows mostly gone except for larger drifts and this will be year #3 that our creek probobly will not have a spring flood.

Moved some cows home around 6 AM this morning down whats ussually a busy county road. Figured Easter morning there wouldn't be any traffic and was right about that. This morning I couldn't beleive all the different birds singing in every dirrection, plus the local wild turkey population gobbling down at the creek bottoms.

Sure is nice when spring does come. :D

Been showing signs of spring for a couple of weeks here but you wouldn't have known it last week. We've got meadow larks here and robins but last Thursday they had longjohns on. No curlews yet and they usually walk in snow at lest once.

today in the madison valley it is 45 degrees (at 8 this morning), but the wind is howling and the clouds are dark.....looks like rain :wink: :wink:

Latest posts