• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Spring?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jake

Reaction score
Sure feels like it out there today, 60+ degrees today and yesterday with high 60s next week. Drove around last night and the wheat is getting pretty green even for the first week of March.

At least we don't have to worry about frozen ears anymore :)

Jake said:
Sure feels like it out there today, 60+ degrees today and yesterday with high 60s next week. Drove around last night and the wheat is getting pretty green even for the first week of March.

Famous last words? :D

gcreekrch said:
Jake said:

Famous last words? :D

We might be out of the woods, but I wouldn't bet on it, especially with the balmy winter we've had so far. It seems like Mother Nature evens things out one way or another. And, don't forget about the equinox.

You might be far enough south Jake, to make a difference. I wouldn't know about that.

I've calved plenty in early March and wished I hadn't. Sub-zero temps, blizzards & all. One memory is of a ten-fifteen below blast around March tenth. We were calving hard. My pulling chains hang on a wooden peg after rinsing them in disinfectant. I had a calf to pull and as I reached for the chain, I could nearly lift it up by one end, like a stick. The links had frozen that quickly since it's last use. I also developed a habit of tying tags around calve's necks with twine in colder weather to avoid frozen ears due to tagging. The twine usually lasted until the weather warmed up, when the tag could be put in permanently.

Yes, March can be a bad month weatherwise.

We had lightening here last night and my dad used to say '6 more weeks of winter' when he saw that happen before the equinox. :?

It may be too early for me to say it... We really aren't incredibly far south but this last weekend we had swarms of mosquitoes out in the creek. Couldn't believe it. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to freeze a couple more times to kill some of that off. We really haven't even froze the ground good and hard all winter.

Big Muddy rancher said:
We got more snow today then we did all winter. :(

I guess winter is a good time for a drought and spring is a good time for moisture. :D

Yeah and the weather folks are saying it could circle back around and hit your area again tonight-- with snow and drifting snow warnings out for Daniels and Sheridan counties.....

Spring has sprung in Central Missouri, The Buzzards came back today. Usually don't see them for a couple more weeks. That being said we will probably see snow on the corn rows the way this year is going.

ranch77rocket said:
JF Ranch said:
And, don't forget about the equinox.

Yep, some of the worst calving season storms in the Sandhills are right around equinox.

No doubt, that's why I try to have most of the calving done by that time. By far, the worst storms of the year come during late March and April up here. However, this February has been sent straight from he!!, and calving hasn't been very fun. Luckily the weather looks to break next week, I can't hardly wait! BTW, January was the mildest on record, but when February came, winter showed up with a vengeance. You just never know what the weather is going to do.

porkchop said:
Spring has sprung in Central Missouri, The Buzzards came back today. Usually don't see them for a couple more weeks. That being said we will probably see snow on the corn rows the way this year is going.

75 here in southern Mo yesterday and 60 today. I know where there is already corn in the ground....And they wonder why it only made 10 tons last year... :roll:

Talked to the little brother in Manhattan. Said they had flowers blooming this week down there

Nastier here today than it was yesterday...Snowed more during the night- blew all night and drifted in all the old tracks and trails.. Temp is only 15 degrees with about 25-30 mph west winds making it plumb chilly out there...

But its still a darn sight lot nicer than all those storms and twisters they're predicting thru the south and central part of the country for today...

Oldtimer said:
Nastier here today than it was yesterday...Snowed more during the night- blew all night and drifted in all the old tracks and trails.. Temp is only 15 degrees with about 25-30 mph west winds making it plumb chilly out there...

But its still a darn sight lot nicer than all those storms and twisters they're predicting thru the south and central part of the country for today...

Ya it's a little snowy but the roof is still on the house. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:

Ya it's a little snowy but the roof is still on the house. :D

I'll take a little snow over one of those storms any time. Drifted enough overnight to make the biggest drifts of the winter.

Overnight low here last night was 8 degrees F cloudy today real light snow. March is often mild temperature wise but it is not uncommon for it get well below zero sometimes in March. Had 10 or 12 inches of snow a few days ago electricity was off 10 or 11 hours. It is well above freezing here now though, but there is no sunshine..

Well today finally looks like spring...Temp is 51, sun shining, and snow turning to slop...We hauled the mares north to pasture to get them out of here before any cows start dropping calves- and some of the coulees were running water...
Except for tomorrow and Thursday that are supposed to be in the 30's- long range forecast for next two weeks for this area is temps around 50 or above..... :D

Yep, it's just got to be spring. :lol:

6 inches of snow yesterday and a high of -11 C with a breeze today.

Typical March in the mountains. :roll:

snowed all night last night, all day today , need 4x4 to get around tonight . Looks like will get more before its done, maybe a foot so far??

Latest posts