• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Spring

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score
Here it is early May and this morning was +46F with 25 MPH to 40 MPH winds and blowing rain - - - we are almost done planting and mostly done calving but I put the cows that I think might calve today in the loafing shed so they are out of the wind and dry. I kind of expect this in March but not in May!

The forecast does not get better till next week - - - I need to call Al Gore and thank him for the warming!

Today is +36F with light winds so we have frost! Rain to come in tonight and expecting 3" to 4" by Friday night with a high predicted of +56F for the rest of the week! We had a little over 3" last weekend - - - I'm sure things will calm down but I feel strange putting on insulated coveralls to feed at this time of year!

On a positive note the high Sheriff congratulated me as I turned 69 yesterday and I am now the oldest active deputy serving our department - - - I just fill in so the ( younger ) full time guys can have time off but I have been working every Saturday during the day and every Tuesday night. So guess what I did on my birthday.

Congratulations, young man! I used to think 69 was pretty old......no more, since I passed that one 8 years ago. Now I KNOW what 'old' is. It is a state of mind and I don't intend for that to set in.

mrj

We have a beautiful spring day in the works, with day starting at 45% and sunshine. Perfect day for a very important birthday on this ranch. The first member of our Generation 6 is five years old today! She is very excited because she will have some little relatives and friends from pre-school come for a party, then more family, including several grand parents and great grandparents come for birthday cake AND gifts in the evening.

It is a little spooky to consider what this world will look like when she turns 69 like you, George! Just think how different it was when you were born. On the positive side, much is better today, and I'd hate to live without the modern conveniences we have seen in our lifetimes, not to mention better health care, for one thing. I wouldn't be able to walk if I didn't have three artificial joints, for one thing. Life may have been simpler then, but surely not easier, in that we still work hard, but we can accomplish more with our 'power' filled lives today. For instance, the 'eldest cowboy' is 'trailering' his horse several miles before he starts riding, saving both of them lots of time and energy (to do more work later in the day!).

mrj

I kind of think " what is going on" with our temperatures running 20 degrees below normal and all this rain - - - then I see the news and am so sorry for the other people in this world - - - makes my problems seem so small!

Our normal hi for this time of year is 75F and again we are looking at a high of 52F and at least another inch of rain.

Most of our corn is about 6" tall but very yellow - - - I think the soybeans are in hiding - - - if we get back to normal temps next week hopefully they will pop.

Calves seem to be doing great but they don't know what warm weather is!

Latest posts