• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Squaw Bread Recipe

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TXTibbs said:
Anyone have a good Squaw Bread Recipe????
TX - are you referring to "Navajo 'chewed bread?" The Navajo's put the dough in their mouths and chew it until it is a slimy gooey consistency and then make bread out of it in their outdoor ovens that they also use for 'sweat' baths. The ovens, that is, not the bread! :shock: "THEY" say is tastes good. You can't prove it by me - not now - nor never! DOC

Tibbs, My father in law looked for a recipe for years for squaw bread and asked alotta folks if they had a recipe (very few knew what it was) but finally he found a recipe.

Squaw Bread

1 pint sweet milk

2 tbsp baking powder

1 tbsp shortening

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

Flour to make a dough easily handled

Mix all ingredients. Roll out to any desired thickness, cut in pieces. Perforate or slit these strips and cook in a kettle of deep fat. Serve with syrup or fruit.

We sometimes sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnimon and sugar.
Hope this is what you were lookin for.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Tibbs, My father in law looked for a recipe for years for squaw bread and asked alotta folks if they had a recipe (very few knew what it was) but finally he found a recipe.

Squaw Bread

1 pint sweet milk

2 tbsp baking powder

1 tbsp shortening

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

Flour to make a dough easily handled

Mix all ingredients. Roll out to any desired thickness, cut in pieces. Perforate or slit these strips and cook in a kettle of deep fat. Serve with syrup or fruit.

We sometimes sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnimon and sugar.
Hope this is what you were lookin for.

thank you that is what i was looking for. My mother has a recipe so i guess i could of just asked her. she makes it and it is good. I was just wanting to see if other people had other recipes for it. I guess i should ask my Indian contacts huh? Yeah no one down here in texas has heard of it really, but up home in South Dakota its pretty well known. Most call it Fry Bread.

Squaw Bread is also the base of Indian Tacos!!! YUM....i love indian tacos.

Wow, TxTibbs, you're right never heard of squaw bread. Isn't there a kind of undesirable fish called a squaw? I thought you were talking about. Good to know. That recipe sounds pretty good, though.

Go to GOOGLE-- There are lots of "Squaw Bread recipes--I've used many different dough recipes over the years-- when I was lazy I even have used the boughten frozen bread dough- tore off pieces of dough and deep fryed-- worked good....

Some of the trustees at the BIA jail could whip up some good fry bread concoctions--some would add raisins, berries or fruit-- some mixed honey into the dough...All tasted good-- Just don't show up on a day when they were also boiling tripe or you would lose your appetite before you got to the squaw bread.... :wink: :lol:

Tibbs I used to like to go on pack trips and usually took along some squaw bred cause its fast, easy and good. The recipe I use can be mixed ahead of time and all you have to do is add water. Think Jinglebob said one time you could put a little depression in the mix and just pour in some water and how ever much mix got soaked up was how much dough you would have. I kept it in a zip lock bag in an Ice cream bucket and would use the lid to pat out the dough real thin. My favorite topping was butter and honey. I would put all the ingredients together then run them through a flour sifter to mix them ahead of time.

combine 2 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup powdered milk

add 1 tablespoon sugar in a bowl

gradually add enough warm water (about 1 cup) to make a soft dough

divide dough in half and flour lightly

pat a small amount into a 6-8 inch circle (very thin)

fry quickly in a hot oil (275 degrees) about 2 1/2 to 3 inches deep

Is this the same bread that can be topped with a cheese,picante sauce mixture? Many years ago our church used to have a supper where that was the main dish. Thanks for the recipe.

Feeder, I'm going to be a smart ass here and say that I believe any bread could be topped with a cheese, picante sauce mixture! :D :lol: :p :wink:

thanks for the recipe tumbleweed!!! I've never had it with berries or honey mixed in it, but usually just eat it with butter or jelly on it while its still warm. Once it gets cold it gets hard was my experience.....but a microwave will bring it back to that fresh baked state! :wink:

Tx Tibbs, you better watch out!! I might just flatten you out and put you in the grease!!!! Cover you with cheese sauce!! LOL

TxT., are you getting a little homesick and wanting a "taste from home"?You could go the whole route and order some truly authentic mix with the Indian turnip flour in it from Wooden Knife Frybread Mix Co., phone 1-605-433-5463 at Interior, SD. I'm not sure what that turnip flour contributes other than authenticity, and can't recall that it tastes much different than 'regular' squaw bread. Maybe we need to travel the 60 or so miles to Interior and the Wooden Knife cafe for a taste test! Maybe when the weather cools a bit!

However, my family prefers to use any good home made yeast bread for "squaw bread". Though that wouldn't work as well on a camping trip.

Think the name came about because it was made by the Indian women as a quick (frying versus baking) way to cook it and I believe lard was a staple they had on hand.

There many Indian Taco fundraiser suppers in this area (western SD) and the restaurant in Midland has "Taco Tuesday" lunches. The deal around here is a piece of the fry bread spread with some browned hamburger, lettuce, tomato, onion, taco sauce, and topped with sour cream. Half of one is a LARGE lunch! And delicious!

MRJ

And there is one more hamburger recipe for ranchwife.

I agree that they are good, MRJ~
Do they make some there right in the nacho chip bag as well?
They do that here and it is always a big hit! Kids especially
like eating the taco right out of the bag!

Up here they call it bannock. It doesn't have to be fried though. I haven't tried this recipe, but I plan to.

Bannock Recipe

4 cups flour

4 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons oil

Add enough water to achieve a bread dough consistency

You can replace a portion of the white flour with an equivalent amount of whole grain flour of choice, and include some dried fruit of choice, wheat germ, bran, and nuts of choice. The bannock can also be seasoned with brown sugar and cinnamon.

Mix ingredients well and knead for approximately ten minutes. Grease and heat a fry pan. Form the dough into cakes about 1/2 inch thick and dust lightly with flour. Lay the bannock cakes in the frying pan and hold them over the heat. Shake the pan at intervals to prevent the bannock from sticking to the pan. Once a bottom crust has formed and the dough has hardened enough to hold together, you can turn the bannock cakes.

Cooking takes 12-15 minutes. Test whether or not the bannock is ready by inserting a clean toothpick or sliver into the loaf. If it comes out clean, the bannock is ready to eat.

If you don't have a fry pan you can make a thicker dough by adding less water. Roll the dough into a long ribbon, no wider than an inch. Wind this around a preheated green hardwood stick and cook over a fire, turning occasionally, until the bannock is cooked.

It the same stuff but it's called "Fry Bread" on the Net. - eat it quite often - - can be fixed many ways - As was said it great on hunting trips

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Fry+Bread&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 :shock:

Edit:
:shock: Woops: Might be different :shock:

Check this out and compare

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Squaw+Bread&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

2 Edit:

The first "Fry Bread is what I make - much quicker

The second "Squaw Bread" or Poticaly correct Indian Maiden Bread is ore like a loof or rolls

Indian Tacos are great and served on a regular basis here too. Once in a while I`ve has them with wojapi "chock cherry" jelly. Shoudn`t be to hard to find a recipe for frybread.

Article in todays Billings Gazette about Fry Bread.....

Reporter's notebook: Sweet, flat, fluffy - there's no typical fry bread
Jodi Rave
REPORTER'S NOTEBOOK

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - Who makes the best fry bread? Navajos? Other American Indians?

It depends on whether you like it sweet and fluffy or round and flat.

Most fry bread cooks I know aim for fluff. It's good for dipping in a bowl of corn soup and soaking up juice.

But I've met plenty of Navajos who frown on northern fry bread.

My Navajo mother-in-law makes some of the best fry bread I've ever tasted. Half the pleasure is watching her shape it. She quickly pats and flaps the dough between her hands - a real dough-flapping pro.

She never rolls or stretches it, either. That's not her style. She helps Navajos take their place among champion fry bread makers.

But do they really have a right to claim the name to the venerable Indian taco?

I remember the first time I saw an Indian taco called a Navajo taco. It's made me wonder which came first. Of course, like many things Navajo, they claim it to be a part of their universe.

The issue came up again last weekend when I was with my Navajo in-laws at the Coeur d'Alene Tribe's Julyamsh powwow.

We were hungry after the drive between Missoula and Post Falls, Idaho. We decided to skip a meal at a local restaurant, figuring we could get an Indian taco at the powwow's fast-food strip before the grand entry.

For those who've never had an Indian taco, it's a delightful, hefty concoction of fried dough, beans, beef, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and, maybe, salsa. But the high-carb confection - flour, salt and water fried to perfection - isn't for everyone.

A Navajo friend once proclaimed: I don't eat fry bread.

OK. But a lot of us do.

We know it's not good for us. Too much can lead us down a path of diabetic dietary destruction. But my in-laws and I weren't thinking of that while we scoped out the fry bread stands at the powwow.

We had a number of choices. Several stands sold Indian tacos, but only one sold Navajo tacos.

We headed to the longest line on the fairway, where the banner above the stand declared: The Original Navajo Taco.

My in-laws looked at the people working the stand to see whether they were really Navajo.

No buns, said my husband, as he checked out their hair. One man inside the stand wore braids. Can't be Navajo, said my in-laws.

Then they looked at the female cooks.

"Mom, they're rolling the dough," my husband said.

He was teasing. They were stretching it. No dough flappers back there. My mother-in-law shook her head.

After what seemed like a two-hour wait, we ordered.

They asked the boy taking orders where he was from.

Tuba City, he said.

That's in Arizona, on the Navajo Nation. Things were looking up. It looked as if we were going to get some flat, sugar-free Navajo fry bread.

I've eaten fry bread made 101 ways. And I've experimented with it and made it a number of ways myself. But I never skipped the sugar. I remember the first time I whipped up a batch for my husband.

He was a little baffled by the sweetness. "Why does it have a hole in the middle?" he asked.

My mother-in-law since has shared a few of her fry bread tips. No sugar. And I've learned Navajos tend to be picky about their flour. It must be Blue Bird.

Still, I'm a Hidatsa girl from North Dakota. And even though I've been learning to acquire a taste for some things Navajo, like mutton stew, I still remember my fry bread roots.

I'll never forsake sweet, fluffy fry bread with a hole punched in the middle.

Jodi Rave covers American Indian issues for Lee Enterprises.

Latest posts