• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

State of Ag Canada/US Alike

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mytfarms

Reaction score
Sitting here this evening, I know I haven't been in the "real game" for some time now, but I'm curious about some of you who still are.

Corn and most grains are plenty high, hay state side is scarce and expensive, but cattle seem to be bringing good money.

In y'all's opinions, what do you thing the state of Ag is in your respective state/province/nation? Are cattle prices helping out, or the relative inflation of everything else eating the profit margin?

Figured this would be a good discussion to have!

Next year……
A few timely rains will change the picture immensely. Kept heifer calves and bought more. Have bought some $280 hay. Kept pretty much every cow that was bred.
Calves were supposed to be higher this fall but drought got in the road. A huge percentage of cows went to kill and still more going. That shortage will show it self next fall. I am hearing predictions of 550 lb s/c at $3

We forward contracted our calves last February for delivery Oct 26. 400 lbs @ $3, 25 cent slide. Range could be 350 to 550 lbs. Buyer kept them for himself as he knows what our calves will do on feed.

Continuing to face over regulation and mismanagement by the federal land agencies. The current administration is adamantly against cattle on public lands and the appointee to lead the BLM, and was confirmed:mad:, is a convicted eco terror leader who only escaped prison by turning states evident against her co-conspirators. You cant make this stuff up!!! Drought has been as tough in our country as any of the old timers (Dad and Mom) can remember. Fall rains have been a gigantic blessing. Saved my cattle. Hay is ridiculous and borderline criminal to see prices over $400 per ton. Thankfully, i was able to buy some for $240. Calves were soggy this fall and i felt good about selling 600 lbs steers for $1.65. I'm optimistic for the next year but i may be a little optimistic daily. All i know is, i get to throw a leg over a horse and ride in pretty country as often as i'd like. I get to trail cattle across the same trails my Great Grandparents did. I get to do it with my kids and wife and friends and they love it as much as i do. How can a guy not be thankful and optimistic?

Ranching spirit alive and well!

GCreek, that sort of optimism has been keeping this industry going for a couple hundred years. Might last a couple hundred more at that rate.

Good to hear y'all are so dedicated to this deal. Makes me smile.

In central Montana, hay prices have tripled but most ranchers only had about a quarter of a crop, grain farmers are seeing great prices but their crops were lousy too! Cattle prices have improved some but are not covering these increased costs. Most ranchers are selling down, some are selling out! They say that cattle will be much higher next year! Always "next year"!

Here in Central OK, it is getting dry. No rain in the forecast to even get the fertilizer to work on winter wheat for grazing. What rains we had have come so fast they wash the fertilizer off... Seems like all the wind farms aroundchange the way our storms move.. We are saving a bunch of cows to sell next year as they just dropped calves. I think I have enough hay. We are feeding 9 bales every 5 days. Fertilizer so high I was thinking of using chicken litter, but the AG department is taking me to court over 4 loads of litter I spread 2 years ago.

Ranching spirit alive and well!

GCreek, that sort of optimism has been keeping this industry going for a couple hundred years. Might last a couple hundred more at that rate.

Good to hear y'all are so dedicated to this deal. Makes me smile.
It is a good thing my wife has a pessimistic view on some things. We work well together. I bought another 18 bred cows out of a dispersal on Wednesday. Young cows for $1700 a round. The old yard manager was sitting beside me at ringside and asked what I was doing buying back after our reduction sale last fall. I replied we would have 100 more Breds next fall than we had last and another reduction sale at $2500 to 3000 was coming up. He laughed and said I was probably right.

The Good Lord will need to provide moisture to a wide spread area to make it work. We can wait if need be.

I kept back my hfr calves. I was about 2 months short on winter feed so I grazed a little harder. Now I'm going to start feeding again and I'm still about a month short on feed till may so I'm go to feed a little less often and see what happens.
I have to find grass to rent next year or it needs to rain. That or get rid of some cows or yearling hfrs in the spring.

I kept back my hfr calves. I was about 2 months short on winter feed so I grazed a little harder. Now I'm going to start feeding again and I'm still about a month short on feed till may so I'm go to feed a little less often and see what happens.
I have to find grass to rent next year or it needs to rain. That or get rid of some cows or yearling hfrs in the spring.
Buy some feed. It will pay you back.

Cash and futures alike are simply on FIRE. All the way around too, from cattle to grains. Prices feel like they are akin to an inflating balloon. ;)

Be interesting to see where this all lands, but it's about high time the cattlemen and feeders alike got paid for their scarce and highly sought after product. It's a shame roughage is truly in short supply, but I suppose with enough optimism, you can get it found and fed to the right kind.

Exciting times. As Corbitt Wall said on his Feeder Flash this morning, even the town drunk knows the cattle market is hot. So it must be REAL HOT. Good luck neighbors. I'm gonna keep driving that machine to town every day and dream on for now.

Latest posts