• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Statement By John Clifford

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Statement by Dr. John Clifford Regarding Non-Definitive BSE Test Results

Late yesterday, we received non-definitive test results on an animal sampled as part of a voluntary extension of our enhanced BSE surveillance program. USDA is conducting further testing at the National Veterinary Services Laboratories in Ames , Iowa , in consultation with experts from the international reference laboratory in Weybridge , England . We are also sending samples from this animal to the Weybridge laboratory for further testing. It is important to note that this animal poses no threat to our food supply because it did not enter the human food or animal feed chains.

The sample was submitted to us by a private veterinarian. As an extension of our enhanced surveillance program, accredited private veterinarians, who often visit farms in remote areas, collect samples when warranted. The sample in question today was taken from a cow that was at least 12 years of age and experienced complications during calving. The veterinarian treated the sample with a preservative, which readies it for testing using the immunohistochemistry (IHC) test - an internationally recognized confirmatory test for BSE. Neither the rapid screening test nor the Western blot confirmatory test can be conducted on a sample that has been preserved.

Our laboratory ran the IHC test on the sample and received non-definitive results that suggest the need for further testing. As we have previously experienced, it is possible for an IHC test to yield differing results depending on the "slice" of tissue that is tested. Therefore, scientists at our laboratory and at Weybridge will run the IHC test on additional "slices" of tissue from this animal to determine whether or not it was infected with BSE. We will announce results as soon as they are compiled, which we expect to occur by next week.

I would note that the sample was taken in April, at which time the protocols allowed for a preservative to be used (protocols changed in June 2005). The sample was not submitted to us until last week, because the veterinarian set aside the sample after preserving it and simply forgot to send it in. On that point, I would like to emphasize that while that time lag is not optimal, it has no implications in terms of the risk to human health. The carcass of this animal was destroyed, therefore there is absolutely no risk to human or animal health from this animal.

Regardless of the outcome of the further testing, I want to emphasize that human and animal health in the United States are protected by a system of interlocking safeguards. The most important of these is the ban on specified risk materials from the food supply and the Food and Drug Administration's feed ban. And by any measure, the incidence of BSE in this country is extremely low. Our enhanced surveillance program is designed to provide information about the level of prevalence of BSE in the United States . We are extremely gratified that to date, all sectors of the cattle industry have cooperated in this program by submitting samples from more than 419,000 animals from the highest risk populations. To date, only one animal has tested positive for the disease as part of the surveillance program. These interlocking safeguards continue to protect our food supply.

Regardless of the outcome of the further testing, I want to emphasize that human and animal health in the United States are protected by a system of interlocking safeguards. The most important of these is the ban on specified risk materials from the food supply and the Food and Drug Administration's feed ban. And by any measure, the incidence of BSE in this country is extremely low. Our enhanced surveillance program is designed to provide information about the level of prevalence of BSE in the United States .

In politicalese, this means that 'He's pretty sure that it is positive'

Western Blot test will work after severe autolysis or on frozen samples. IHC will not.

Looks like the USDA has been geared up to use the IHC "only".

Another mistake. :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

Any wagers on what day of week the results will be made public? I vote for Friday, after the markets close!

Both the US cases were in cattle over the age of 12 years. All of Canada's were in cows 7 or 8 years old. Hum makes me think that BSE has been in the US longer than it has in Canada. :? Why didn't the US find it before? :???:

The sample was submitted to us by a private veterinarian. As an extension of our enhanced surveillance program, accredited private veterinarians, who often visit farms in remote areas, collect samples when warranted.
I would note that the sample was taken in April, at which time the protocols allowed for a preservative to be used (protocols changed in June 2005). The sample was not submitted to us until last week, because the veterinarian set aside the sample after preserving it and simply forgot to send it in.
Neither the rapid screening test nor the Western blot confirmatory test can be conducted on a sample that has been preserved.

Some enhanced surveillance program you got down there. When a sample is taken by a vet here the test result is back within days why didn't this vet just send it in and forget the preservative? Is there really anywhere in the US that remote that they can't get test samples out in a reasonable length of time? What vet forgets he has a sample laying around for 4 months with all the talk about BSE and the Trial to remind him of the sample laying in his clinic. What kind of protocol is it that allows a preservative to be put on a sample so the rapid test and World recognized comfirmatory test doesn't work. The Rapid test is the first step if it fails to show anything another test may not even be requested. Geez the more we hear about the US enhanced surveillance program the more we can see why they have never found it before. :roll: At least the USDA is sending this sample out of the country to confirm.

Murgen the last one took a few days so I'm guessing next Friday as day after tomorrow is just to soon. :wink:

I would like ot know what possesssed this Vet to keep a brain tissue sample and forget he had it??? Really! Are we paying a bounty on bse cows?? I wonder if he got his degree from A & M ! :roll:

Scuttlebut we are hearing is that the vet did a post on a cow for whatever reason. And put the brain into preservative to do more later..............then had the thought that it should be turned in to check for BSE.....which he did. Conspiracy theories get a let-down again.

MRJ

Latest posts