• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Staying away from Mexico.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mrs.Greg

Reaction score
In the last year theres been a number of incidents involving Canadians in Mexico..and thier government covers it up. Now its gotten to close to home...My Best friends cousin was airlifted to U of A hospital after being severly beaten this week in Cancun,at the same time a friend of theres is fighting probably a losing battle for his life.{the news story below} The Mexican government is totally covering up the true happenings.....Is this normal to you USA'ers????Do you see this happen with your citizens also?

Canadian in Mexican hospital to be airlifted home
Updated Wed. May. 9 2007 2:25 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A Canadian man on life support in a Mexican hospital could be airlifted home as early as Wednesday, his family said.

Mexican doctors have concluded that Jeff Toews, of Grande Prairie, Alta. is clinically brain dead.

"As of (Tuesday) night there is 100 per cent no life in Jeff's brain, so he's clinically brain dead," said Murray Toews, Jeff's brother, when reached by phone Wednesday in Cancun, Mexico.

"We want to pull him to Alberta so we can make some decisions with Jeff's organs," said Toews. "It's (the family's) decision that they want his organs donated so we need to keep him alive to get him out of the country."

It's unclear when Jeff Toews would return to Canada, but his brother hopes it will happen as early as today.

The Albertan was found grievously injured at the Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort in Cancun early Monday.

Mexican authorities say he sustained his injuries after falling from a balcony on the resort.

But his family maintains he was brutally beaten, and they accuse Mexican authorities of covering up the crime.

Meanwhile, the debate over whether Ottawa should issue an advisory against travel to the country has been reignited.

Ottawa has been "singularly ineffective" in dealing with cases of Canadians attacked in Mexico, Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanjh said Wednesday, as he called on Ottawa to be more vocal in pressing Mexican authorities to investigate these cases more aggressively.

"I know (Foreign Affairs Minister Peter) MacKay raised these issues when he was in Mexico last, because I was there with him, but obviously this seems to have no effect," Dosanjh, the Liberal foreign affairs critic, told CTV's Canada AM on Wednesday.

Dosanjh criticized Foreign Affairs for not issuing a travel warning on the consular affairs website.

"I think we need to provide some travel advisories to our own people and make them conscious of the fact that these kinds of possibilities exist," he said.

Dosanjh said there are a number of cases -- several of them serious -- that have not been investigated.

"I know people would argue that we are responsible ourselves when we travel abroad and we should be a little cautious ourselves, but this has been happening in Mexico all too often."

Bello Melchor Rodriguez y Carrillo, attorney-general for the state of Quintana Roo, agrees with Mexican authorities that Toews fell from a balcony.

"He wasn't beaten. He fell from a second storey of the hotel where he was staying," he told the Canadian Press on Tuesday.

"That's the report that we have from the security guard from the hotel, and the report we're getting from the hospital too."

Carrillo has also overseen the controversial Ianiero case, the Canadian couple murdered at another Mexican resort.

He has blamed two women from Thunder Bay, Ont. for the killings, despite heavy criticism.

Dosanjh says Mexican officials need to be respected but maintains authorities need to be more vigilant in their investigations.

"They are a sovereign state so to that extent you have to respect them, but the difficulty that we have experienced with this attorney-general is that he comes to conclusions without much investigation," Dosanjh said.

"He has done that instantaneously in this case as well. That must cause a great deal of anguish for the family," he said.

Toews and his wife Natalie were vacationing in the region with nine other couples from northern Alberta, on a seven-day holiday.

His son, who turns three this week, is staying with family in Grande Prairie.

Before security guards found Toews on the golf course, he had been with the other couples at the resort's Andromeda nightclub.

He travelled back and forth between the club and his room, until he failed to return after one such trip.

With files from the Canadian Press

But his family maintains he was brutally beaten, and they accuse Mexican authorities of covering up the crime.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the Government officials/Policia that were involved in it......

The O'Reilly Factor ran a week long series awhile back on all the US citizens that had been assaulted, found dead, or missing in Mexico (all unsolved)- and the fact that the US Government/current Administration does nothing- actually assisting the Mexican government in the coverup to the US people......

Can't have anything interfer with/ put a bad image on free trade and cheap illegal alien labor.... :roll: :( :mad:

Oh I agree that they're police force is covering it up...why I'm not sure. There was a couple who were in Mexico for thier daughters wedding that had thier throats cut in thier room,the police pointed fingers at two Canadian women and ignored the fact it looked like it was staff at the resort.

A young man died the Mexican police say he was hit by a taxi,yet his friends say he was beaten.

The young man that was found yesterday...they SAY he fell from a second story balcony...yet his room was on the first floor and his brother told our friend that he wasn't laying anywhere near looking like he fell and had four bad blows to the head and back

Friends cousin doesn't remember the beating and is looking at having his whole face reconstructed because of his beating.Alot of unanswered questions on this one too.

I tend to think people need to realise what they could be getting into going to Mexico.

About 15 years ago we had a new Pontiac Trans Am stolen off a local carlot- could never find any info...Just like it dropped off the face of the earth... We had the VIN number entered in the National Computer- and about 5 years later- I was contacted by a DEA Agent in Mexico...He had found the car and it was being driven by the Chief of the Policia of some state down there, that they were investigating for his drug smuggling involvement....Was hard to comprehend a vehicle stolen in Montana, ending up in Mexico....There was no way to get it back either- altho the DEA Agent said it was so hailed it wasn't worth getting back anyway.....

My extended famioly has some intimante knowledge of the Mexican legal system, we can leave it at that :lol: :lol: and it was an absolute corrupted cluster @#$% of a situation.. The guy who works for me talks about it too, likes to say the US sstem isn't all peaches and cream but it sure is better than what happened to some of his cousins down south... so needeless to say, no story I hear about down there surprises me at all...

That being said, when me and my folks lived in Mexico City back in, shoot, must have been 76 (I have zero recollection of living anywhere as a kid besides Illinois) they said they had no troubles but the American coomunity they lived in was gated even back than..

I don't know alot about Mexico and thier justice system but lately I'm gathering its corrupt.

I'm getting really nervous...my 21 year old nephew just graduated college with honors,his three bro's..23,25,27 all decieded they're taking him to Mexico for grad gift...I love my nephews to death and am now terrified about them going on this holiday,they're great boys but boys and wouldn't think of anything happening to them,also they've been raised in our small town.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Things like this are the reason I have no desire whatsoever to travel to another country. There's plenty for me to see in all my days, right here in the good ole USA.

Yeah: What she said.
I have been around the world twice in the navy and never care to leave the south again.
The GF wants to take a cruse. I told her to go just don't try to make me go. So now she wants to take a trip to Graceland. I think I could do that and if it don't rain I won't have anything else to do.

I hear you guys,if I do leave Canada it will be to the States or Scotland,none of those resort countries for sure.I haven't seen our East Coast which I would love to travel to.

I would love to have you two come to Canada though,we have a beautiful country,even with the snow and we try really,really hard not to kill visitors and cover it up

Mrs. Greg....ya'll should come South and visit with all us hillbillys!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One thing we DO NOT have is SNOW!!!

Sounds like a great idea...your weather HAS to be warmer then ours today,we're at 42F{for you Americans} with prob a windchill,making it about 35F. Its cold outside :?

One of these days we'll cross the border and visit as many as we can,this summer we're heading to our West coast so hubby can see his first Ocean

That kid that was snatched from a bus stop and was going to be held for ransom (whatever state that was in) The kidnapper was from Mexico,and seemed shocked that anyone had bothered to hunt for the kid.
Then there was the kidnapping of a ranch owner on the border.

A few years ago,a U.T. student was snatched in Mexico,and sacrifised to "Santaria"(sp)

I haven't seen all or TEXAS yet,be darned if I need to go to another country!!

About 88 or so here today...not a cloud in the sky and for once low humidity!!

I'd rather have humidity cause that means RAIN!

Mrs. Greg......I've been to Canada...many many years ago. Up into Manitoba, and Sask. I'm sure we didnt see the most perdy parts of it....we didnt got that far up.....I do remember the houses were so close together in one place, that you could open a window in one house, and reach out and touch the next door neighbor's house. Too close for comfort for me.
And all the places we stopped to eat. The waitresses would ask us to, "Say somethin Texan"......little did they know everthang that comes out of our mouths was "Texan". Course mom didnt help matters, with all her "Howdy's" :wink:

The states that I'd love to go back to, and "Really see" instead of just drivin thru and stoppin at the touristy things like we did when I was a kid, are Nebraska, N & S Dakota, Montana, Wyoming. I do wanna go back to Idaho, and really spend some time lookin around at all the cowcamps and such......and take lots of pictures. LOL these will be summer time trips....I tried Idaho in October n liked to have froze my butt off.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
The states that I'd love to go back to, and "Really see" instead of just drivin thru and stoppin at the touristy things like we did when I was a kid, are Nebraska, N & S Dakota, Montana, Wyoming. I do wanna go back to Idaho, and really spend some time lookin around at all the cowcamps and such......and take lots of pictures. LOL these will be summer time trips....I tried Idaho in October n liked to have froze my butt off.

Bunkhouse is ready when you get here Lil. :)

Awwwww aint he sweet....offerin me the bunkhouse...... :D

That'd be cool, I can honestly say I've never even seen a bunkhouse, much less spent the night in one.

(I hope ya'll read that the way I meant it to sound, cuz I read it again and it could sound like I'm tryin to avoid confession) LOL n I aint even Catholic.

Grrrrr :evil: :evil: Looks like ANOTHER accidental fall in Mexico

A Selkirk, Man. teenager has died after apparently falling off a 10th floor balcony at a resort in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico over the weekend.

CTV.ca News Staff

Josh Iwasiuk died after falling from 10th floor balcony.
But the family of 19-year old Josh Iwasiuk is searching for answers on whether his death was really an accident.

Jerry Iwasiuk and his brother Josh were on vacation together. Jerry said it was supposed to be a trip they would remember forever.

The two had been in the popular resort city just two nights when tragedy struck.

Jerry didn't find out for several hours that his brother was dead.

"I was in shock," he told CTV Winnipeg. "I looked all over and no one would answer me. I could tell something was up just by the looks people were giving me."

They were staying at the Getaway Club, a two-star resort in Puerto Vallarta.

Mexican police say death was an accident

Mexican officials there told Jerry his brother's death was an accident, but his sister Michelle said an autopsy has raised more questions than answers.

"They said he just had trauma to the back of the head," she said. "I can't see how you can fall off a 10-storey building and just have trauma to the head."

Jerry said he and Josh were partying on Saturday afternoon. By three o'clock he had had about 12 drinks and was so intoxicated a security guard told him he had to go to his room.

Jerry fell asleep for 17 hours, and when he woke up, his brother was dead.

Brother says drink may have been spiked

"People don't sleep that long normally. That's the longest sleep I ever had, and I woke up with a major headache and a little different than a regular hangover," he said. "It's possible someone slipped something into my drink."

Jerry says he's not sure if his brother was robbed before he died. He added it would be hard for his brother to fall - that the railings were chest high, making it almost impossible to slip off.

He said Mexican police didn't question him.

Canada's foreign affairs department told CTV News it is in contact with the family and with police in Mexico regarding their investigation.

Josh's body is still in Mexico, but the Iwasiuk family says foreign affairs is making the arrangements to ship it back to Canada.

The family hopes to have a funeral service later this week.

One of several Canadians to die in Mexico

Josh's death is only the latest in what is becoming a long list of Canadians to die suspicious deaths while on vacation in Mexico. In November 2007, 30-year-old Chris Morin of Okotoks, Alta., died in Cancun after falling from a fourth-floor balcony.

A Cancun newspaper reported that Morin fell after a night of drinking and taking drugs, but local authorities and Morin's family held suspicions he may have been pushed off the balcony after a bar dispute.

Albertan Jeff Toews, 34, also died from grievous head injuries while visiting Cancun last May, another apparent victim of a balcony fall. Family members believed he was the victim of a vicious beating.

Adam DePrisco, of Woodbridge, Ont., was killed in January 2007 while on vacation in Acapulco.

From the beginning, Mexican authorities claimed DePrisco was killed in a hit and run accident, but his family maintains he was savagely beaten by employees at a night club, and hit by a car as he attempted to escape his attackers.

Canadians Domenic and Nancy were staying at the luxury Barcelo Maya beach resort near Cancun when they were found with their throats slashed on Feb. 20, 2006. Their killer has still not been found.

With a report from CTV Winnipeg

I worked with a man that had gone to Mexico for a vacation, he took a side trip to Mexico city. He didn't return to work and after some calling got ahold of his daughter who discovered he had not come home. He was a single guy lived alone, and was somewhat a private kind of person. After a long ordeal of getting someone to help her, it was discovered he was in a hospital. He had been found in an alley naked and nearly dead. No ID etc. He had been robbed, beaten and left to die. He did make it back to the States but had some pretty severe health issues to deal with due to the injuries.
Advise would be if you are going to Mexico do not venture out and about alone!
Other side of the coin, I have friends that after retirement have spent the last four winters in Mexico in their RV. The first year at Baja and the last three in Mazatlan. They love it.

Latest posts