• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Stem cells

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
Link below; my empahsis.

""Injections of human stem cells seem to directly repair some of the damage caused by spinal cord injury, according to research that helped partially paralyzed mice walk again.

The experiment, reported Monday, isn't the first to show that stem cells offer tantalizing hope for spinal cord injury — other scientists have helped mice recover, too.

But the new work went an extra step, suggesting the connections that the stem cells form to help bridge the damaged spinal cord are key to recovery."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9401832/

This is such good research....why do " they" want to stand in the way of progress?

I have a friend who has embryos frozen from IVF sesions, she's now 35 and there are 17 frozen embryos frozen....she had to have a hysterectomy last month and does not want the eggs " adpoted" out.....well guess what those will be destroyed!! Why not use those for stem cell research is my question??????!!!!!!!!

All that material,not wanted and wasted when it could be put to good use.....all because the folks in power won't read and learn. By the by....GW Bush does not read any literature, be it news papers, memos, etc...this he freely admits!!! GEEEEEZZZZZZ!!!!!!

AS with most research there is always "tantalizing hope" and that will prevail until disapointment at the inability to make the assumption prevail.

and the work is not being stopped by the Govermant of the United States, it is just not being funded.........there is a big differance, so no one is standing in the way...

There are many Private labs she could "donate" the cells to,

I am currently on the bone marrow transplant list as a donor, to Qualify I at times must go for occassional tests to see if I can be matched with a person in need, during these tests I have read that the reason for a extensive list is because the matching criteria must be "close to exact" between the patient and the donor...This same criteria is what concerns me about stem cell research, the donor "must" be from the same close to exact genitic charactoristic as the patient,

In other words the only viable donor would be the child, or offspring of the patient,,,I am unwilling to "create" a embro for the purpose of destroying it, or have a female within my Family do the same for me,

The thought of sacrificng my child or grandchild for my life seems extremely selfish if not totally unethical.....so I will continue to supprot "adult" stem cell research in hopes of never being faced with this...

With this in mind Disagreeable which child (fetus) of yours would you sacrifice so you could walk again?

Steve said:
AS with most research there is always "tantalizing hope" and that will prevail until disapointment at the inability to make the assumption prevail.

and the work is not being stopped by the Govermant of the United States, it is just not being funded.........there is a big differance, so no one is standing in the way...

There are many Private labs she could "donate" the cells to,

Oh, really? Why don't you give us the name of, say, five labs that are working on stem cell research and don't take government funding for some project. Not necessarily stem cell research, but any research project. There aren't many. If they do stem cell research, they are in danger of losing their government funding for other projects, or at least be challenged to prove they're not spending any government money on stem cell research. It's a difficult, sensitive, situation for labs and most of them just choose not to take the chance on losing their government funding for AIDS, heart disease, diabetis, etc., research.

I am currently on the bone marrow transplant list as a donor, to Qualify I at times must go for occassional tests to see if I can be matched with a person in need, during these tests I have read that the reason for a extensive list is because the matching criteria must be "close to exact" between the patient and the donor...This same criteria is what concerns me about stem cell research, the donor "must" be from the same close to exact genitic charactoristic as the patient,

This seems a bit strange. Why do you have to be tested over and over? Your genetic make up doesn't change from week to week.

In other words the only viable donor would be the child, or offspring of the patient,,,I am unwilling to "create" a embro for the purpose of destroying it, or have a female within my Family do the same for me,

I don't think so. While a family member is often the best donar, we see people donating kidneys, hearts, lungs, all kinds of organs to total strangers. Why would stem cells be any different? My SIL's BIL got bone marrow from a stranger. Blood banks are asking for umbilical cord blood to get stem cells. Its use is not restricted to family members.

The thought of sacrificng my child or grandchild for my life seems extremely selfish if not totally unethical.....so I will continue to supprot "adult" stem cell research in hopes of never being faced with this...

Hype. No one is talking about sacrificing a child or grand child. We're talking about people who have excess embryos that will be destroyed anyway donating them for research. Your overdramatic crock of bull is obvious to most people.

With this in mind Disagreeable which child (fetus) of yours would you sacrifice so you could walk again?

If I had an embryo in cold storage today, I'd for sure donate it to any lab that wanted it to help with research for many of the terrible diseases so many people suffer from. And a vast majority of Americans agree with me. It's another area where George W. Bush's own personal beliefs are affecting the lives of many Americans. Thank goodness, some Republicans are starting to break with him on this issue, at least.

Latest posts