• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sticker to tell if fruit or veggies are ripe

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the chief

Reaction score
TUCSON, Ariz. -- A University of Arizona professor has invented a sticker that can tell consumers if a fruit or vegetable is ripe. The stickers will be available to growers next year and should make their way to supermarkets within two to three years, said Mark Riley, a UA assistant professor of agricultural and biosystems engineering.

He said growers and grocers throw out thousands of bushels of fruit each year because it ripened faster than it could get to market or be sold.

With no simple way to tell whether fruit that looks good on the outside will taste good on the inside, consumers often buy peaches, pears and melons they can't eat because they're under-ripe or overripe.

"Right now, picking fruit is more of an art than it is a science," Riley said.

A marker on Riley's RediRipe stickers detects a chemical called ethylene gas, which is released by fruit or vegetables as they ripen.

As that happens, the sticker turns from white to blue.

The more ethylene gas the fruit produces, the darker the blue, Riley said.

The color shift is not instantaneous once a sticker is attached. It takes about 24 to 48 hours, depending on how fast the fruit is ripening, Riley said.

And there are still bugs to be worked out: The stickers do not change color to reflect an overripe or rotten piece of fruit. Also, not all fruit produces enough ethylene to be detected by the sticker, said Jim McFerson, manager of the Washington Tree Fruit Research Commission, a growers' research group that helped sponsor the research.

"There is still a lot of research to do," McFerson said.

Each sticker is expected to cost growers and grocers about a penny, Riley said.

Can you believe it? Something as SIMPLE as a sticker to aid a consumer! Can you believe that the consumer really WANTS to know if fruit or veggies are ripe? Just who do they think they are? More information will just confuse them. And besides, only 5% of the produce turns bad anyway.

And it costs a penny? I'll bet the USDA will find it costs MUCH MORE than that. Who is going to pay for the millions being spent on these stickers?

What in the heck is this world coming to? :wink: Consumers! Next thing you know they will want their bread sliced.

BEIJING - The Beijing News was cited as reporting on Wednesday that in an attempt to ensure food safety during the 2008 Olympics, Beijing is to give every cabbage, carrot and pea pod its own identity number and file.

If there is a "safety incident" the vegetable's file can be immediately checked and its origins traced, the newspaper said, in a report accompanied by graphics showing personnel at computers tracking each vegetable's path from farm to plate.

"Safety incidents" was a likely reference to pesticide or pollutants in the soil. The environment group Greenpeace has found banned pesticides and excessive levels of other chemicals in vegetables supplied from China.

You mean to tell me they can track EVERY cabbage, carrot and pea pod in China and we can't track what country a package of beef comes from?

can't never could until he tried.

Republican Senator Thad Cochrane from Mississippi went over to the agriculture appropriations committee and killed funding.

Hay Chief, Who do you think is the top tracking company in the world ,they help countrys set up their own traceback systems.Guess? ah its www.ScoringAg.com . If you read their press releases you could be informed.

PORKER said:
Hay Chief, Who do you think is the top tracking company in the world ,they help countrys set up their own traceback systems.Guess? ah its www.ScoringAg.com . If you read their press releases you could be informed.

Porker, I AM informed. I had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek in the post above. I believe people SHOULD be informed as to where there food comes from and if they can track a cabbage in China and we can label fruit for ripeness for ONLY a penny, then we can certainly track meat and produce in the land of freedom and ingenuity: America. :wink:

the chief said:
PORKER said:

Porker, I AM informed. I had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek in the post above. I believe people SHOULD be informed as to where there food comes from and if they can track a cabbage in China and we can label fruit for ripeness for ONLY a penny, then we can certainly track meat and produce in the land of freedom and ingenuity: America. :wink:

We can, but bought off Congressmen can't. That includes the ag. appropriations committee.

the chief said:
PORKER said:

SH says we can't, and Jason says he only brings the truth to counter the lies of the blamers....... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts