• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Still Hanging In

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Casa Paloma

Reaction score
Been awhile since my computer cooperated and let me log in - probably a good thing since I was addicted to the site. As some of you will remember, my wife decided I was working too hard and sold my cattle to the neighbor a while ago while I was in the hospital with my fifth heart attack. She then decided I needed a hobby and bought four miniature donkeys to keep me busy and out of her hair. The herd has grown to seven miniature donkeys, 2 miniature horses and I recently adopted 4 standard donkeys my neighbor decided he was tired of feeding. Don't have any idea what I'm going to do with them but they are fun to work with. The four standards were wild and didn't like people much. I figured that with the in-laws I have had with some of my ex-wives, I could handle them easily. I have got two of them tamed down already and finally got the bright idea that they would make good riding stock.

Well, as some of you already know, I'm not too bright at times. I put a saddle blanket on one of the standard donkeys and hopped aboard. He took off and left me sitting on the saddle blanket on the ground. Not to be undermined, I next put a bare-back blanket/saddle on him and tried again. This time I stayed aboard for about 20 seconds - about the time it took him to get across the 5 acres in which they are housed. We reached the barbed wire fence and no matter how much I pulled on the halter and yelled "Whoa, you SOB," didn't stop until he was right on the fence and then he did a sliding stop - I didn't. Last thing I remembered was looking back between my legs and seeing him standing on his side of the fence as I was flying to the other side of the fence. He actually had a smirk on his face and then started hee-hawing. Figured he had had enough exercise for one day so I hobbled back to the house to let him rest up for my next adventure.

Son that lives about 30 miles from me sold his cattle except for a few and his wife got the bright idea to go into the alpaca business. They are starting with eight (two of which are pregnant). Decided he needed my expert advice and went over to help him unload them. The second one I unloaded spit a lugie at me (should have been a clue when I heard the "kaaark" sound he made. Well, I slapped the pee-waddling out of him and thought my daughter-in-law was going to have a hissy fit. Since I don't get to see hissy fits too often, I thought it would be interesting, but my son advised me that I shouldn't stick around to watch as it could become embarrassing (and painful for him). Said he was only allowing these alpacas for his wife until we get some rain and he can get back into the cattle business.

Guess I am going to stick with cattle. They are so much easier to work with. You know what to expect with most of them and know which ones you can turn your back on and which ones you can't trust. Neighbor that bought my cows wants me to ride the donkey over to his place with I get him broke and maybe do some roping off of him. That will be another adventure. Retirement sure is fun.

Spent a week helping neighbor with some fencing. He also has a city job and didn't have the time to do it right. I am retired and have nothing but time - besides, my wife doesn't like me to hang around the house giving her advice on how to clean and cook. She always seems to want to vacuum during Jerry Springer, so it is best that I stay busy outside.

Hey glad your back, we missed you , you "Old Ass Buster" :wink:

Maybe you should try breaking one of the mini's to ride. Not so far to fall. Or maybe try driving them. Have fun and stay safe.

Good to hear you been having great adventures! :shock:

:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As for the mini's, remember; a little Ass is bettewr than no ass. :wink:

Welcome back, Casa Paloma. I love reading about your adventures, you have such a way with words, I feel like I'm right there watching what you write about. And it ALWAYS makes me laugh! :D

Good to have you back! Talk about a blast from the past! You just gave me the belly laugh of the week with your donkey riding stories! I would think the sight of the barbed wire coming up would almost be enough to give you another heart attack! Whoa!

Latest posts