• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Still Haying

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
The last crop circle was cut August 24
P8270563.jpg

Some of it was laying down pretty bad. 7 hours of cutting at 3.5 mph netted 92 bales.
P8270564.jpg

Another field showing the effects of too much water this spring.
P9060572.jpg

P9060573.jpg

Upper end of same field.
P9060574.jpg

Leaves along Holtry Creek are still green.
P9060575.jpg

Good mix of Meadow Foxtail and wild grasses, this piece got baled today.
P9060576.jpg

Heifer wishing we'd get done haying so she had fresh feed. Waiting for ground to dry out has put us late in turning them on the meadows.
P9070577.jpg

Some colour showing in spots.
P9070578.jpg

A friend of ours that has been hunting at our place for 32 years now. This year he came early to help us hay. I was able to train a locomotive mechanic from Vancouver how to bale in an afternoon and he's greatly appreciated. :D
Our skidderman stayed 14 days and said baling was just too much stess. :roll:
DSCN3806.jpg

End of the day. Lord willin' and the cricks don't rise I'll be done cutting at Morrison Meadow in 5 days. 2 weeks at home behind that.
P9090579.jpg

7:46 pm and the sun has dissapeared behind Render Ridge. G'night.
P9090580.jpg

Looks like you are getting both quality and quantity with your hay, Gcreek. Those big level productive meadows of yours sure do look pretty. If it is any consolation, many ranchers here in the Sandhills are still haying, too. Hopefully we can get done next week so we can start preconditioning calves the following week.

Soapweed said:
Looks like you are getting both quality and quantity with your hay, Gcreek. Those big level productive meadows of yours sure do look pretty. If it is any consolation, many ranchers here in the Sandhills are still haying, too. Hopefully we can get done next week so we can start preconditioning calves the following week.

Soap, if you are still hayin, and want some small bales, I could run up and bale some for you.

Good to see you are narrowing in on it gcreek. We are back at it with greenfeed and second cut. The latter is not as good as it looked so will definitely be swath grazed. Should be combining rye on Monday. It's a race to get it done before the snow flies.

LazyWP said:
Soapweed said:

Soap, if you are still hayin, and want some small bales, I could run up and bale some for you.

LazyWP, that is great idea. The low ground we are haying now is not of "small square bale" quality, but there is some real nice second growth meadow along an underground spring-fed hillside. It would make wonderful barn hay in small square bales. We could mow it early this next week. I will stay in touch. :wink:

I'm amazed at how your meadow foxtail stays looking good for so long down there. It is a rather unwelcome pest up here because it matures far earlier than other hay. If not cut in early July it's awful coarse, and it has a way of seeding itself all over the ranch and mixing in with later maturing varieties of hay. It sure looks like the answer in your parts though. Looks like you may get to take next haying season off what with all the carry over you'll have!

Silver said:
I'm amazed at how your meadow foxtail stays looking good for so long down there. It is a rather unwelcome pest up here because it matures far earlier than other hay. If not cut in early July it's awful coarse, and it has a way of seeding itself all over the ranch and mixing in with later maturing varieties of hay. It sure looks like the answer in your parts though. Looks like you may get to take next haying season off what with all the carry over you'll have!

It's becoming a historical fact that I usually end up keeping enough cattle around to empty the stackyards by spring. :D

This Meadow Foxtail is getting over mature except where the wheels get wet when I'm cutting. Have a small patch that should get cut day after tommorow that is yellow to the ground without much green left. The wild hay is still really green for now.

BMR,....... The Collie. :wink:

finished up some dry farm 2nd crop alfalfa Friday, only got one stack of meadow to button up. The alsike was as tall as the meadow foxtail here in most places . got around 2500 bales stacked up for winter and not enough cows and ewes to feed it ti. maybe get some of those Texas cows that don't have any ear to feed it too

Latest posts