• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Stinky calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

DJL I was thinking a wolf had chewed that calf too or else the ravens had picked it. We get the odd calf come out of the bush without a tail-if you watch a baby calf really run they always curl their tail up-I wonder if that's an instinctive move to get out of reach a bit.

When we had the calf that the dogs got hold of. She had magots all in her (girl parts) smelt horrible. We pasture roped her, tied her up.....in the bed of the truck. Then squirted LA 200 all in the affected area...them magots poured out by the hundreds...then gave her a shot of it too...Turned her loose, and in a matter of a couple days she looked 100% better.....then caught her again the third day...gave her another shot, and she healed up fine and dandy, sold her at the sale last fall and she was one of the highest selling calves we had.

LA 200 is cheap stuff too.

DJL said:
Roper now you know what wolf attacked cattle smell like. The ones that they chew up and leave are walking deads, and you can smell them from quite a distance. There is no smell quite like decaying flesh. I would suspect predators of doing the damage, and infection will finish the job.

Actually I dont. Have heard stories of wolves attacking deer and moose for fun. Crippling and leaving them. But if it was wolves wouldnt they have done more than just eat the tail off? It is possible that I came along at the right time and scared the wolves or coyottes off but didnt realize it.

See we have a bunch of cows that got breed by accident. Now they are calving in the wrong place. See we move them about 15 miles from here to calve in the spring. Anyway all it takes is for momma not to be there with a young calf and the coyottes will get it. That or they will eat it while she is giving birth.
Weight gain and all that fancy stuff doesnt mean nothing if the calve doesnt live. Sometimes the best cows are the ones with brains and lots of fight in them.

oh my did i have a stinky calf today...a cow last week had uteral prolapse and i got her sewed up...well the decided to abort it today and wowzers that was the worst smell i have ever smelt...i have a pretty strong stomache and when i was cutting the stitches out i just about lost it a couple times....horrible

Ranchy said:
That's wonderful news! How's it doing by now? Hope it's still gettin better every day!
Its in a large corral with its momma waiting for the owner to trailer them out of here. I cant really get close to it unless I roped it but the way its running around I would think its all better :)

Latest posts