• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Stock Show

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hay Feeder

Reaction score
Wanting to start friendly discussion if people do attend the National Western Stock Show. If one attends or does not. This is not attended to strike up at meeting. Am interested in discussion if people attend, exhibit or purchase at Denver, or attend the Rodeo. This goes as well as other winter Livestock and Rodeo events. Really interested in healty discussion if people attend yearly or never have or maybe just once every few years.
Personally I attended every year for a long time then I just quit attending seems like a long time also. I am going to attend mainly just to get a fresh outlook on the livestock industry and agriculutre in general maybe just to recharge my batteries.

i went to the Denver Stock Show once, in 1988. i would really like to go back one of these years.

i normally go to the Rapid City Stock Show, but now it's only the day the angus cattle are in town, if i can make it. as far as everything else there, it's getting kinda blah for me..same stuff, same spot, different year.

Justin said:
i went to the Denver Stock Show once, in 1988. i would really like to go back one of these years.

i normally go to the Rapid City Stock Show, but now it's only the day the angus cattle are in town, if i can make it. as far as everything else there, it's getting kinda blah for me..same stuff, same spot, different year.

I agree. And I've never seen a good rodeo in Rapid City.
We've never been to Denver Stock Show and probably never will
unless someone takes us. We're too old to deal with the traffic there. :?

I used to attend the National Western in Denver every year. I think we started in the late 70s. We showed Pinzgauers out there from 1978 through 1982. From 83 on through 96 I was mainly a spectator. Over the years, it appears to me that it has gone from a cattlemans event to a urban event. The last time I was out there I didn't enjoy it a whole bunch, but we are going again this year. Be out there the 15th through the 17th.
On the flip side, we have been to Rapids show for the last 5 years. Usually don't get to see much other then the trade show, and the bull riding, which I thought was pretty good.

-Those who are going to Denver, remember bed bugs are real bad in Denver.. (I mean the small crawly kind) :p

I'm showing at Rapid if the weather is permittable..

Don't worry about the Denver traffic. A little hint and you will do just fine. Just ouside of Denver stop and get out of your vehicle. Then as you go to get back in just slam the door on your fingers. That'll po you enough to handle the nutcase Denver drivers.

Madison Square Garden - 1955 - California to New York BY TRAIN Lived in a Caboose for 7 days with 2 carloads of Hereford.
Plan was to hit Denver on the trip back But bad Bedding Blew our Coats.

Went to Denver in 1957 - while in the Air Force - A friend "George Sanders" was Judging - he had a Box he was not using - Gave it to me...

To me its not only the traffic that keeps me away from many of those things- but I just can't stand the big cities anymore.... Too many people...Even Billings has gotten too big for my liking..
Prefer to stay where the jackrabbits and antelope outnumber the people.. :wink:

Justin said:
Faster horses said:

the slack is much better watchin'. IMO

Yes. Seems like the rodeo slack is always better.
And when I say I've never been to a good rodeo in Rapid City,
I don't just mean at the Stock Show. I mean at the Fair too.
And why do they brag up Sutton at the Stock Show when his
stock is really sorry and usually pretty darn thin then?

Justin said:
Faster horses said:

Of course, we haven't gone to the Stock Show rodeo for
a few years, so maybe it's better now, but it wasn't at one time.

Faster horses said:
Justin said:
Faster horses said:

CUZ HE IS THE BIG DOG AND DON'T NUTHIN' HAPPEN AS FAR As rodeo there unless they say so

Jinglebob said:
Faster horses said:
Justin said:

CUZ HE IS THE BIG DOG AND DON'T NUTHIN' HAPPEN AS FAR As rodeo there unless they say so

Figures...

Faster horses said:
Jinglebob said:
Faster horses said:

Figures...

:agree:

Justin, Faster, et al, I'll go if you go :).............. actually I'm going either way, that was just a challenge to you folks. I'll be there the 20th - 22nd.
Send a PM if you are going and would want to get together. the 22nd Im heading to ND to warmer weather than NM. But just for a short sample of it.

Suttons have the black hills stock show committee wrapped around their little finger. i'm not sure how or why, but they do.

As for Denver, I was there last year for the first time. I think it was worth seeing, but all shows have way too much wash and fluff for this guy. Add on the fact that you are a pimp for your cattle and I guess I won't attend for a while.

The yards are something to see though. The catwalk seems like it is 1/2 mile long. I don't know how, but they seem to think they need more room. I saw an article that said they were looking at needing 300 acres to make their vision. As is they have +- 100. The article said there were 2 plans. One has to do with a soft drink bottling company next door and the other has to do with moving to Aurora next to a hotel that is about to go up. I thought the stock show was big but according to the article the new hotel/convention center will have 1500 rooms :shock: :shock: Sorry, I don't want to stay in the same place as 1499 other groups.

nmhighdesert said:
Justin, Faster, et al, I'll go if you go :).............. actually I'm going either way, that was just a challenge to you folks. I'll be there the 20th - 22nd.
Send a PM if you are going and would want to get together. the 22nd Im heading to ND to warmer weather than NM. But just for a short sample of it.

Now that's an incentive. We'd do what we could to meet up with ya.

I have never been, but I want to go. we have photos from the late 70's when my dad was team roping out there....of course we got to stay home while the folks went.....

Latest posts