• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Stock tank valves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowsense

Reaction score
We have a second ranch (70 miles away) where we run cow-calf pairs. We rely on a deep well for our main water and pipe it through a pressurized underground line to stock troughs (large industrial tire troughs). This works well and I really believe we are picking up improved performance by providing clean fresh water at all times. Our main problem is in finding reliable water valves that WILL shut off and not run over. We were really cutting down on foot rot etc. until we started having overflows and the resulting inevitable bogholes.

So far we have tried Gallagher , brass and Jobe Megaflow valves and I can't say I have been impressed with any of them.On one check they're fine and the next they're running over. There must be some other valves available that are reasonably reliable and that can last for at least a summer season. I would appreciate any ideas and or different brands of valves that you can come up with! Thanks :!:

My buddies in Wyoming use a float that screws right onto the end of their hydrants-phone 307 684-5882 ask for Tony he'll tell you where to get them-they work pretty good as far as i can see.

I put a section of cement culvert in the center of my tire tanks. It protects the float if any cattle would happen to get inside of the tank. I think I'm using Lewis floats. They are a big aluminum cylinder hooked to a long arm by a small chain. Seem to be working OK so far. I use pretty heavy brass fittings and pipe, where the waterline comes up thru the cement in the bottom of the tank. Oh, and the cement culvert has a few spots knocked out around the rim, where it sets on the cement in the bottom of the tank, to let the water out. Hope this helps.

Ck your water pressure in the lines, if it is too high the valves can't shut off properly.

We use bob floats in remotefloat chambers for the most part. We have one pipeline that has 160 pounds pressure at the well and none at the top where it runs over when the storage tank is full. It operates on a timer, running from two to sixteen hours daily.

Where the pressure is very high - over 100 PSI, we have a pressure reducing valve where the lateral joins the mainline. These keep the line pressure at 50PSI.

Our main problem is that any metal that isn't copper, brass or aluminum is eaten up by the water in a year or so. We have just about eliminated problems suing plastic valves and floats.

We know your problems. We check our tanks where cattle are present every day. If we get a float failure, we lose our stored water and then play catch up. Floats don't fail as often as the links and chains holding them to the valves.

Latest posts