• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Stockman Grass Farmer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I was wonder what other thought of the paper and the ideas promoted. I have just seen one paper and have read a bit about some proponents of this style of "Ranching"

What do you guys think of some of the ideas put forward?

I know we have many different areas that use many different methods. Just want discussion.

I read it from cover to cover and than read it again. Open your mind and think how some of these practices will work on your place. But most people think the articles are out there. But a lot of them will work if tried. I was feeding hay 6 months out of a year and it cost me 400 dollors per head to keep a cow when i started reading the farmer. But now i feed 1 month out of a year and my cow cost is down to 200 average a year and my cows look way better in the spring than they used to. But i had to open my mind and that was rough because i was stuck in that this is how we have always done it and joe blow does it. That magazine will teach you more in 1 issue than you can learn in a year on the ranch. The reason is when your out there working your not thinking about new ideas. Your doin the chores. The magazine is worth every penny and i wish it came more often.

BMR I have about ten years of them squirreled away-it is probably the most thought provoking farm and ranch paper on the market-some of the books that you can order from there are very good also. You can't judge any paper from one issue but there's is lots of different thoughts about business in it. I read it from cover to cover doesn't hurt to think once in awhile-even if it hurts lol.

We have one neighbor that feeds NO Hay at all, None. He runs about 500 head of mama's, I dont know how much land he's got, but he stockpiles and rotates. His cows look great.

Another rancher friend of ours has always said, "you hafta be a grass farmer before you can be a rancher"

years like this year make it hard to be a grass farmer tho. LOL

I've been reading The Stockman Grass Farmer for quite a few years and always look forward to getting it. The part of it I enjoy most is Alan Nations Obersvations. He does a lot of reading and seems pretty wise about business in general and the cattle business in particular. He also quotes Bud Williams often. Bud is one of the wisest people I've come across. He's observant and I believe he gives a lot of good advice.

I have been reading the Stockman's grass Farmer for years, but I am not getting it now. Helps you to think outside the box. Everyone has different resources and has a different environment. There are different ideas out there that might fit yours.
I don't know if Allen Nation was a successful rancher or not, but he is a successful publisher.

Clarence said:
Everyone has different resources and has a different environment. There are different ideas out there that might fit yours.

That is very true. What one rancher can do might not be possible for his next door neighbor. What one rancher can do one year might not be possible the next.

I love it. I am a grass farmer. It's the one crop in life I can truley count on. I will always have grass and just have to figure out the most effective and highest priced way to sell it. Of course, sometimes there is a little less to sell than others. :wink:

One thing about the paper that amazes me is that there will be a story about someone who raises chickens or turkeys or something other than what I am doing and in a totaly different enviroment than I am in and I will learn something that I can use here, in what I do. Thinking outside of the box is what makes money. :)

Too many people stick to the old way of doing things. Even in life we need to change our approach.
I will say I learned something to use today by reading one of the articles.....yeap how you deal with cows helped me deal with intercity kids. Hmmmmm ok Now I was NOT saying they are animals BUT kids and animals react the same way when under stress.
I am glad you asked about the publication now I have a new place to learn THANKS :D :D :D :D

I also enjoy reading Stockman Grass Farmer and have ordered several of the books available.

Just wondering what are some of the more useful ideas others have gained from SGF. For us it has been management intensive grazing and some insight into alternative marketing of our cattle. Just interested in what others think.

'Knowledge Rich Ranching' is a very good book from there-it is amazing how many people are afraid to even read it. I just about had to twist my buddies arm before he'd borropw it and do so.

Interesting. I guess you should be able to learn from everyone. From what I read in the paper much would not work for me on the scale they talk . But we have crossed fences 15 sections into 5 pastures and rest rotate with some rested 2 yeaars so I guess we are using some of what they promote. I hate to see the passing of the big pastures but management is much better and for 2 of us we can check the cows and water pick up bulls and be better managers quite easily.

Northern Rancher said:
'Knowledge Rich Ranching' is a very good book from there-it is amazing how many people are afraid to even read it. I just about had to twist my buddies arm before he'd borropw it and do so.
NR - It has been my experience that a lot of people have an aversion to, and refuse to think about improving their minds. They think they can access knowledge by osmosis. And sometimes they don't want to be confused by the facts because it will obligate them to CHANGE the way they have always done things - and people DON'T WANT TO CHANGE! It is the old - "What was good enough for my Daddy is good enough for me!" Well, I have seen what some of these 'good ol' Daddy's' have done - and it sure isn't good enough for me! I'm a "good Ol' Daddy" myself, but I tell my Boy's "If you think that you can't do better than I did, you aren't working very hard at it!"

DOC HARRIS

Another good read is the '50 Rules of Power' I picked it up in the Calgary airport a few years back-it's lent out too and I can't recall the author lol.

Latest posts