• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Storm losses

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jason

Reaction score
Is anyone seeing numers of losses from the Colorado/Kansas blizzards?

I have heard rumors that packers are starting to contract March April fats here at 8 cents over current cash.

It is said to be based on the feedlots in the affected areas losing big numbers of heavies and stalling the rest.

I can't' think that the storm losses would be more than a psychological boost. In real numbers as a percentage of the fats coming out in those months , the death losses would be small. I'm hearing numbers quoted at 30,000 to 40,000 head. No one knows yet the real number. Don't we kill 300,000 head per week. I can't see 50,000 changing the market much.

katrina said:
And to think wewere suppost to get that snow and ice.... Creeps me out....

hope it was a Carhart g-string Mike sent ya!

The fats stalling..or having to be restarted on feed and coming off later is the main key I guess.

It just seems strange for packers to be playing this hard this soon. They obviously think they will have trouble getting those cattle for cash come spring.

One feedlot that I know of in southwest Kansas lost 120 head. It's a 30,000 head feedlot, so as a percentage it's not real bad. Needless to say, pen conditions are poor and the manager figured a loss of probably 50 lbs. per head through this weather. There are surely worse numbers in southeast Colorado.

HP

Latest posts