• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Strangest Cattle Feed/Supplement?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Guy down the road is feeding Candy Canes that were broken inside the little cellophane packages. Cattle eat cellophane and all. The candy factory ships him a 20 yard load every week.

Waffles. Had a neighbor that fed them but it was a pain to get them out of the packages. Lots of them feed loaf bread that is out of date.

Cotton screenings. Whole peanuts that have some kind of fungus are great for cattle, but not for people.

Seeing more people use by-products for cattle feed more than ever.

Baghouse screenings from powdered milk factory. Come to me in one ton totes. I am still not certain of the best way to feed. They are really fines and I was mixing with wet frozen vegetable feeds. But, wow! The energy analysis was really high.

I have put out free choice loose and it takes a bit for the cattle to take to it. It is super dry so that limits what they eat. But, exposed to wind rain, etc is the drawback.

Big Muddy rancher said:
A place in Ontario used to feed cannery waste,Cattle were very loose and stunk of onions. Poor truckers.

Onions will give cattle ulcers. Not sheep though.

Cannary/Food Processing waste is a pretty big part of feeding in the Columbia Basin.

I know a friend of ours has been getting waste pasta from a place he works at. They give a little to the cows with their straw/hay ration. I've fed waste bread before when our cousins owned a grocery store. Got 200 pounds per week, 100 of bread and 100 of spoiled veggie/fruits. Cows picked out apples and pears and bread. Pigs cleaned up everything else.

Potatoes, apple pommace, pasta, bread, potatoes, carrots, banana peels, potatoes, beer, big potatoes, bakery waste, rejected brown sugar, small potatoes, soy flour, wet brewers grains, really wet brewers grains, rotten potatoes, bread dough, bird seed, lasagna, doughnuts, and potatoes.
And occasionally a load of potatoes.

Pea hulls ,cracked Alfalfa seed, clover hulls,all kinds of grass seed residue.
Best ever was peeled Canary seed. Birds won't eat any with hull peeled off.

greybeard said:
Pea hulls ,cracked Alfalfa seed, clover hulls,all kinds of grass seed residue.
Best ever was peeled Canary seed. Birds won't eat any with hull peeled off.

Kind of a tedious job peeling that canary seed. :wink: :lol:

Latest posts