• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Stray Pet Dog's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

V_Key

Reaction score
Stray "Family Pet Dogs kill 4H Project

Scan0005_0005.jpg

I was in the market for a Ram _ I was at a Breeders Ranch as they unloaded their Montadale Sheep from the LA Fair. This Ram was advertised in a Nation Wide magazine for $2500. But came off the truck with a Broken Leg. I bought him as-is for my small flock for $200. We took him home and Dad and I Set His Leg. (See swollen spot on left leg)

After it healed I had him staked out to eat grass when Stray Family Dog's (Pets) came in and chewed his Leg Off (He was still alive) and dad had to shoot him.

Scan0004_0004.jpg

We Caught the Dogs and identified the owners.
California Law allows for twice the Value in Damages – not what you paid…
With the Magazine ad I got $5000 in Damages.
Not the way I wanted to make money!

The dog's owner also had to put a 5' Cyclone around his 5 acres to keep his dogs.
One week later Dad shot and killed the dogs when they were out again.

My first thought was to shoot the dogs. I would have missed out on the 5 grand. I am thankful not to have too many neighbor dogs around here (maybe because the Great Pyrenees keeps them at bay).

per said:
My first thought was to shoot the dogs. I would have missed out on the 5 grand. I am thankful not to have too many neighbor dogs around here (maybe because the Great Pyrenees keeps them at bay).

Do you raise pups from your Pyrs? We had a beautiful female here for that reason but decided against raising pups. Boy she could be one contrary rascal! Good thing she had a very gentle nature with us because I wouldn't have liked to get on the wrong side of a dog her size.

burnt said:
per said:

Do you raise pups from your Pyrs? We had a beautiful female here for that reason but decided against raising pups. Boy she could be one contrary rascal! Good thing she had a very gentle nature with us because I wouldn't have liked to get on the wrong side of a dog her size.

No, not in that business. My BIL is, our border collie got clocked on the road one day and he gave us our GP female. 14 months old now and like yours when we walk across the yard at night it is best to talk so she recognizes your voice. She can be a bit scary but is quite affectionate to us.

per said:
burnt said:
per said:

No, not in that business. My BIL is, our border collie got clocked on the road one day and he gave us our GP female. 14 months old now and like yours when we walk across the yard at night it is best to talk so she recognizes your voice. She can be a bit scary but is quite affectionate to us.

That describes our (now deceased) dog to a T. People were scared skinny to come up to our buildings with her around. She wouldn't bark - just stand there and stare at them. I think it's called intimidation and it worked. But if she did bark, it was such a big bark that it would almost make the visitor pee their pants.

Our neighbour keeps a couple of them in with his sheep. No wolf problems there!

Good for you for getting proper compensation.

The rules here allow for dogs to be shot on sight if they are harrassing livestock. It backfired in a very big way several years ago though. Two RCMP officers were driving down a highway nearby and saw two dogs out in a field running around with a herd of sheep. They stopped the car, got out, and shot two Great Pyrenees guard dogs!

A friend of ours had a Marema with his goats, and one day they got out. He had treated the dog the way you should, and not socialized it a lot. The goats travelled about four or five miles from home, and when he went to pick them up, it took him half a day to catch the dog! I had told him he needed a donkey, but he wouldn't listen. :D :D

I prefer donkeys. They're a lot cheaper to feed. :lol: :lol: And especially effective on bad dogs, because dogs are not nearly as smart as coyotes. :shock:

California State Law says
"On or about your property Worrying your Livestock"
It used to say (3X the value) but now says (2X the Value)

Value can = 2X's
The cost of said animal + (and this gets tricky) any and all (Profit and Get) from said animal until it reaches the same age.

If the said dog still live the victims/owner can request they/it be destroyed.

Be Careful:
A friend shot 2 dogs that were running Deer on his ranch

Courts Ruled — he did not own the Deer and there fore he was Liable.

Well the trick to shooting a stray dog is an outdoor wood boiler a hot fire ='s what dog?

Here in the land of yuppies I've thinned out alot of stray puppies.

Here it legal to shoot dogs , chasing harrassing or killing livestock or wildlife.
Have a Akbash x Pyrenees, with the ewes only dogs she allows on the property are our border collies

Latest posts