• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Stress is setting in!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

North Ridge Ranching

Reaction score
I knew we would pay for calving going so good. Between the pink eye, footrot and now one lame bull and another one that I'm not sure is breeding, the stress is starting to build. To top it off I am back to work tomorrow. Here's to hoping things turn around this week. At least the rain and grass that the cows can't keep up to is keeping me sane. I guess not everything can go right at once or this would be to easy.

Faster horses said:
And if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
Good luck to you!

Grandpa always told me

"Be happy for your problems, for if it was easy everyone would do it, and then no one would make any money at it!"

Just bought a bull from a local breeder to replace the lame one so at least one issue should be resolved.

I have to agree with both of you though. The trials we face are what makes us into who we are. I was just having a bad day.

Nope, he appears to be doing good, our angus 3 year old is lame and the 4yr old Simmental is the one I am unsure about. He is probably breeding just fine but I always worry about the ones in a pasture by themselves.

Being as I normally have about 20 head I always have a bull by himself but I throw in a 500# to 600# bull calf to keep him on his game. To small to present a problem but old enough to keep searching out the cows in heat and keep the herd bull working. This can be a calf that came late the previous year or and early calf from this year.

Often then I sell the calf next year and he makes some one a good bull as he knows enough to not fall in love and keep moving.

workbetterunderpressure.gif

North Ridge Ranching said:
Second bull down in under a week today. Now I'm just getting annoyed with this. Looks like a slow start to calving in 2013.

Since we don't know what the future holds.... This may be a blessing in disquise. Ain't ranching fun!!

Just got back from the vet with my replacement bull. Laceration on his business stick. Caught it quite early, no swelling to speak of. Vet figures he should be good in a few days, I just hope he's good for next year. Luckily the bull we bought him to replace appears good to go so we put him back out.

Never had this much trouble with bulls before, 4 out 6 bulls on the place this year had some kind of trouble. Footrot, swelled hock, hurt shoulder, and now this, been a hard summer on the bull battery here. Just hoping I can make it through the last couple weeks of breeding.

North Ridge Ranching said:
I knew we would pay for calving going so good. Between the pink eye, footrot and now one lame bull and another one that I'm not sure is breeding, the stress is starting to build. To top it off I am back to work tomorrow. Here's to hoping things turn around this week. At least the rain and grass that the cows can't keep up to is keeping me sane. I guess not everything can go right at once or this would be to easy.

It's been my experience a bull with pinkeye or footrot will be sterile for quite awhile.....Good luck....

Latest posts