• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Stud Fee????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cowgal

Reaction score
Calling all horse people.....
I have a registered Morgan Stallion. Friends want to use him on 3, possibly 4 mares. Infact, after meeting him they want to but him! They have been kind to us in the past with straw baling - given us a deal so to speak. But husband says we're square.
What should I charge? Hay for my 4 horses for the winter or????

I don't want to be stingey, but I dont want to be a fool either? I have never been in the STUD business.

HELP

:???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

About thirty years ago, I had a nice pair of young Belgian mares. While visiting one time with another rancher from about thirty miles away, he suggested I bring these mares up to his Belgian stud. My first question was, "What kind of stud fee do you charge?" "Oh," he said, "I just want to watch." :shock: :)

It sounded cheap enough, but somehow I just never got the mares hauled up there. :wink:

When I had a stud The neighbor asked if my stud would breed his mares?

I replied you'll have to ask him.The stud gladly agreed to the job no charge.

I would'nt spend $200 to $300 on a stud fee only to end up with a colt worth a $100 doesnt pencil out...

Stud fee kind of depends on how much work and how much it puts you out along with how much you have invested and the return you can get back on your investment along with the performance record of the stallion...

A stallion that cost me $2500 as a yearling-As an unproven sire I charged $200 for pasture breeding (leave no more than a month) and $300 if they wanted to bring mare and have them handbred - then as he started proving out as throwing color (Palomino- throwing palominos, buckskins, duns) I raised it to $300 and 400-- then when his colts started performing also the price went to $400 and 500.... I sold him a couple months ago ( because I was getting so many related mares) and recommended to the new owner, who had leased him the year before, that he not go under $500....

Also depends on what they are breeding to -- If they are breeding just horses to get "a foal", you aren't out much except the chance of injury for your stud, the possibility of introducing disease in your herd, and the possible liability for the mare while she is on your property- but if you're breeding papered mares, you also have a lot of time in paperwork and association costs and filing fees and a live foal guarantee.....I've had neighbors that had good bred registered AQHA stallions that let me turn a grade mare into the pasture with for nothing- also others that have a $30,000 - $40,000 proven stallion that asked $1000-1500, which I didn't think was out of the question because of their investment....Kind of whatever you want...

Oldtimer said:
Stud fee kind of depends on how much work and how much it puts you out along with how much you have invested and the return you can get back on your investment along with the performance record of the stallion...

A stallion that cost me $2500 as a yearling-As an unproven sire I charged $200 for pasture breeding (leave no more than a month) and $300 if they wanted to bring mare and have them handbred - then as he started proving out as throwing color (Palomino- throwing palominos, buckskins, duns) I raised it to $300 and 400-- then when his colts started performing also the price went to $400 and 500.... I sold him a couple months ago ( because I was getting so many related mares) and recommended to the new owner, who had leased him the year before, that he not go under $500....

Also depends on what they are breeding to -- If they are breeding just horses to get "a foal", you aren't out much except the chance of injury for your stud, the possibility of introducing disease in your herd, and the possible liability for the mare while she is on your property- but if you're breeding papered mares, you also have a lot of time in paperwork and association costs and filing fees and a live foal guarantee.....I've had neighbors that had good bred registered AQHA stallions that let me turn a grade mare into the pasture with for nothing- also others that have a $30,000 - $40,000 proven stallion that asked $1000-1500, which I didn't think was out of the question because of their investment....Kind of whatever you want...

I agree - If their grade mares get them to Invest - buy you a set of "Breeding Hopples" so your boy don't get hurt unless your pasture breeding

It's more work than cattle and many mare will kick a stud and hurt him - you may want to get some knowlegeable help the first time

Latest posts