• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Stupid

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
This is getting out of hand, both kids just needed to feel the old razor strap.

11-year-old California girl who threw rock at boy reaches deal to avoid trial
By LISA LEFF
Associated Press

FRESNO, Calif. -- An 11-year-old girl who threw a rock at a boy during a water balloon fight escaped jail time Wednesday on a felony assault with a deadly weapon charge after lawyers worked out a deal in the emotionally charged case.

Maribel Cuevas was ordered to meet with her young victim and talk about the fight under the deal -- reached on the same day the girl was to stand trial. She did not have to plead guilty, and the charges will be dismissed if she stays in school and keeps out of trouble.

Maribel spent five days in juvenile hall and a month under house arrest after throwing a 2-pound rock at 8-year-old Elijah Vang, cutting his forehead after he pelted her with a water balloon in April. The gash required Elijah to receive stitches.

Police responded with three cars while a helicopter hovered overhead, and said they arrested Cuevas for resisting arrest and scratching an officer's arm. Police described the rock as "jagged" and measuring 5.5 inches by 3.75 inches.

Top brass on the force defended the response, but others took up Maribel's cause, saying it was no way to treat a childish crime. Supporters gathered outside the court, chanting "Free Maribel," and singing "We Shall Overcome."

As she awaited her hearing, the girl dressed in pink sweat pants, a white sweat shirt and pink flip-flops was handed a bouquet of flowers.

Maribel's father, Martin Cuevas, said in Spanish after the proceeding that his daughter was not a criminal and had acted in self-defense.

"I think everything will be fine," Martin Cuevas said in Spanish. "This way she'll be able to stay with my wife and me and go to school normally."

As part of the agreement, the two children, with their parents present, will talk about what happened. The girl's lawyer said his main goal was to prevent her from pleading guilty to a crime.

"They did not require any admission of wrongdoing, and once that obstacle was removed, the case was settled appropriately," said defense lawyer Richard Beshwate Jr.

Police were expected to comment later in the day.

Elijah's family, which has since moved away, declined to press charges, but were prepared to testify for the prosecution.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Michelle Griggs said her office decided to proceed without a trial because of the girl's age and because the Vang family wanted the matter resolved so they can return to their neighborhood "in a way that is safe so all these children can coexist together."

The court order requiring Maribel and Elijah to talk about what happened "would be the most appropriate resolution to this matter. It allows Maribel to go back to the neighborhood and make amends," said Kimberly Nystrom-Geist, a court commissioner who presided over the brief hearing.

I wish I had a damn good razor strap for some drunks and a pair of blindfolds for my ten year old yesterday. He and I were driving down the hiway, and rounded a bend right on the state line, when what did we see? A bunch of drunks standing around an old maroon Buick, probably about five guys sort of in their twenties, maybe older. And some gal without a stitch on squatting beside it going to the bathroom. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but sure as hell didn't appreciate having the kid see that. Hell, I wish I hadn't of seen that--UGLY! But around this area the first of the month, you're likely to see most anything, and it seems to maybe be getting worse, or else I'm just getting older. Then moving cattle today, surprised an older "engaged" man and a really disgusting, local, sort of part-time hooker that were parked inside an old barn. YUK. Still debating if I ought to call his "fiancee" and tell her she better get checked for diseases. Hope I haven't offended anyone, I'm just sort of grossed-out and disgusted tonight.

"Hell, I wish I hadn't of seen that"

Don't mean to be insensitive, but I'm stilll giggling. No, Cody didn't need to learn about any of those goings on yet, that just sux.

Its not so much getting older, its raising children.

I bet you can fink out the guy with the pro , and they still get married. And sooner or later it will come out that you were angling for the ol lady. No good deed ever goes unpunnished.

Cal said:
I wish I had a damn good razor strap for some drunks and a pair of blindfolds for my ten year old yesterday. He and I were driving down the hiway, and rounded a bend right on the state line, when what did we see? A bunch of drunks standing around an old maroon Buick, probably about five guys sort of in their twenties, maybe older. And some gal without a stitch on squatting beside it going to the bathroom. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but sure as hell didn't appreciate having the kid see that. Hell, I wish I hadn't of seen that--UGLY! But around this area the first of the month, you're likely to see most anything, and it seems to maybe be getting worse, or else I'm just getting older. Then moving cattle today, surprised an older "engaged" man and a really disgusting, local, sort of part-time hooker that were parked inside an old barn. YUK. Still debating if I ought to call his "fiancee" and tell her she better get checked for diseases. Hope I haven't offended anyone, I'm just sort of grossed-out and disgusted tonight.

Didn't think we'd have to add blinders to our packing list for South Dakota :x Maybe our get-togther should NOT be the first of the month!

Latest posts