• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Subsidized Canadian Cattle?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

NFU: Canadian Cattle Subsidies Unfair to U.S. Producers

WASHINGTON (July 26, 2005) – National Farmers Union is urging the U.S. Department of Agriculture to take immediate action to ensure that subsidized Canadian cattle production does not compete with the U.S. beef industry.

In response to U.S policy to protect the domestic cattle herd from bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), the Canadian government instituted $200 per head subsidy payments to Canadian cattle producers. Now that the border has been re-opened to Canadian cattle and beef imports, these payments constitute an unfair subsidy of Canadian exports to our country.

"U.S. cattle producers have experienced a drop in prices since the reopening of the border," NFU President Dave Frederickson said. "We need to ensure we are not giving foreign producers a competitive advantage over U.S. producers."

Although this program has been suspended, subsidized cattle are coming into the United States and are in direct competition with domestic cattle. NFU has asked USDA to take the following action:

Request Canada to immediately suspend shipping subsidized Canadian cattle to the United States.
Investigate the Canadian subsidy to see if it violates the WTO or NAFTA trade agreements .
If the Canadian government resists ending subsidization of their cattle industry, initiate a countervailing duty investigation and immediately establish import tariffs to protect the economic interests of U.S. cattle producers.

The U.S. National Farmers Union has issued a news release requesting the USDA not permit cattle that have received a BSE subsidy to be shipped to the U.S., and asking that the "Canadian subsidy" be investigated to see if it violates the WTO or NAFTA. The payment they refer to appears to be the feeder cattle set-aside.

CCA has received 1 media call as a result of this release. Our speaking points are as follows:

All governments, including the U.S. government, have the right to support agricultural producers in time of crisis.
Canadian cattle producers have faced a crisis over the past two years to an extent never before experienced anywhere for such an extended period of time.
The government has provided some measure of support fully in compliance with Canada's international obligations.
The program referred to by NFU was designed to slow down the rate of cattle growth and can hardly be considered to be a production-increasing subsidy.
Nevertheless now that the border is partially open, this support program has been terminated.

Those that have their heads where the sun don't shine apparently are not able to discern the readily apparent difference between disater relief and subsidies. To the NFU my reply is succinct. nFU

The total ignorance of americans never ceases to amaze me. That payment was only for a few feeders and the reason for the payment was to take some pressure off the feeder market. The article makes it sound like all Canadian cattle received a $200 payment, which is typical of the way americans will distort the truth or outright lie in an effort to push their agenda. Yes, the NFU can FO.

Oldtimer said:
In response to U.S policy to protect the domestic cattle herd from bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), the Canadian government instituted $200 per head subsidy payments to Canadian cattle producers. Now that the border has been re-opened to Canadian cattle and beef imports, these payments constitute an unfair subsidy of Canadian exports to our country.

Not every Canadian producer was enrolled in this program?Most that were enrolled never seen anything near $200.00

Oldtimer said:
Request Canada to immediately suspend shipping subsidized Canadian cattle to the United States.
Investigate the Canadian subsidy to see if it violates the WTO or NAFTA trade agreements .

Here we go again another bunch of clowns to deal with. :roll:

We all didnt get $200 per head for set aside calves....... I know I sure didnt. Does that mean we cant ship cattle to the US?

Manitoba_Rancher said:
We all didnt get $200 per head for set aside calves....... I know I sure didnt. Does that mean we cant ship cattle to the US?

According Ot you should not. But its okay for him to get a barley subsidy to grow barley, without actually having to grow it.So I wonder does he grow hay on that land or graze cattle on it. :D

frenchie said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:

According Ot you should not. But its okay for him to get a barley subsidy to grow barley, without actually having to grow it.So I wonder does he grow hay on that land or graze cattle on it. :D

Come on down and see whats on it frenchie--- It's setaside for barley if the government thinks they need to have it produced again ever for the needs of the nation.....

Oldtimer said:
Come on down and see whats on it frenchie--- It's setaside for barley if the government thinks they need to have it produced again ever for the needs of the nation.....

Hmm...Now theres an idea, your what 5 miles south from Glasgow, If I remember right?

frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:

Hmm...Now theres an idea, your what 5 miles south from Glasgow, If I remember right?

And you are where frenchie?-- Frenchie, is that your first or last name-- or are you in hiding in Canada somewhere :lol:

Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:

Oldtimer said:
And you are where frenchie?-- Frenchie, is that your first or last name--

You know Ot you and I talked face to face in the Stockmans and you don,t remember me I,m hurt.

Oldtimer said:
or are you in hiding in Canada somewhere :lol:

Or maybe I,m your neighbour Jim just having fun with you. :lol:

frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:

Oldtimer said:
And you are where frenchie?-- Frenchie, is that your first or last name--

You know Ot you and I talked face to face in the Stockmans and you don,t remember me I,m hurt.

Oldtimer said:
or are you in hiding in Canada somewhere :lol:

Or maybe I,m your neighbour Jim just having fun with you. :lol:

Sorry frenchie-- You dug up a couple of wrong names :wink: -- I haven't been in the Stockmans for years-- in fact any of the many Stockmans in the state for years :lol: :lol: And altho Jim is a popular name- only one lives anywhere close to me- and he doesn't even know what a computer is......But thats OK if you want to to stay in anonymous world thats fine with me- I take a lot of the anonymous posts with the same grain of salt as I do anonymous letters to the editor- little above zilch......

Oldtimer said:
Sorry frenchie-- You dug up a couple of wrong names :wink: -- I haven't been in the Stockmans for years-- in fact any of the many Stockmans in the state for years :lol: :lol:

1998 :lol:

Oldtimer said:
And altho Jim is a popular name- only one lives anywhere close to me- and he doesn't even know what a computer is......But thats OK if you want to to stay in anonymous world thats fine with me- I take a lot of the anonymous posts with the same grain of salt as I do anonymous letters to the editor- little above zilch......

Did I say my name was JiM OT...no

Thats Ok OT I really don,t care how you take my posts..i

I have no need to sell any horses, unlike some people on here.

But here goes Leone`e Ross

If I remember correctly i received a one time payment of $200 per calf based on the maximum one-third of my cows. Considering the border was closed for 2 years this works out to be $33 per cow per year. I dont think $33 per cow can be considered significant compared to how the feeder market tanked and what cull cows are worth. Or do other people feel other wise?

YoungFarmer said:
If I remember correctly i received a one time payment of $200 per calf based on the maximum one-third of my cows. Considering the border was closed for 2 years this works out to be $33 per cow per year. I dont think $33 per cow can be considered significant compared to how the feeder market tanked and what cull cows are worth. Or do other people feel other wise?[/quote

well when the border was open to kill cows ours wer'nt worth very much either I can remember hauling 3 cows in and getting a check for $900 :cry2:

Denny said:
YoungFarmer said:
If I remember correctly i received a one time payment of $200 per calf based on the maximum one-third of my cows. Considering the border was closed for 2 years this works out to be $33 per cow per year. I dont think $33 per cow can be considered significant compared to how the feeder market tanked and what cull cows are worth. Or do other people feel other wise?[/quote

well when the border was open to kill cows ours wer'nt worth very much either I can remember hauling 3 cows in and getting a check for $900 :cry2:

I can remember a few times like that,myself north of the border.before B.S.E

thats ok guys we all used to have cows like that too. :p But we culled em...

$300 American for a cull cow. I would be happy if I could get that. I heard of a few farmers here actually getting bills after taking cull cows in. Many decent bred cows including herd dispersals sold from $350 to $600 Cdn. this spring.

frenchie said:
Oldtimer said:
Sorry frenchie-- You dug up a couple of wrong names :wink: -- I haven't been in the Stockmans for years-- in fact any of the many Stockmans in the state for years :lol: :lol:

1998 :lol:

Oldtimer said:
And altho Jim is a popular name- only one lives anywhere close to me- and he doesn't even know what a computer is......But thats OK if you want to to stay in anonymous world thats fine with me- I take a lot of the anonymous posts with the same grain of salt as I do anonymous letters to the editor- little above zilch......

Did I say my name was JiM OT...no

Thats Ok OT I really don,t care how you take my posts..i

I have no need to sell any horses, unlike some people on here.

But here goes Leone`e Ross

Leon-- Is that a deep southern France name? :lol: :lol:

OT, it's early and you need your beauty sleep, we've seen the pictures, get back to bed! :D :D

Latest posts