• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

substitute Teaching has anyone ever tried it?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Trinity man

Reaction score
Well this has been an experiences I never thought I would do but I am because our school is short on substitutes. They have put me in a class with kids (2) that are always in trouble. I have been teaching them since the first of December and I am about ready to hang them. I have try to run the energy out of them by taking to the football field and made them run bleachers. That didn't work. I have try talking to them about what they have done and what the future has for them. No good either. I have talked to one of the kid parents about their kid and got some help from them since I have know them most of their life. But the other kid is about to be on the end of the rope. His parents think he is a angel from what the other teachers has told me. But this kid is in the 6th grade and can't add money and reads on a 3rd grade level because of the amount of trouble he is always in. Has anyone ever try substituting? I sometimes feel I have build 10 miles of fence after leaving this class. I wish the school would let me bring these little nuts out here and let me work the hell out of them so they would know what the real future has for them IF they don't straight up. :(

What you are experiencing is why so many qualified teachers have quit the profession. Too many parents are no longer parents.

Here's wishing you good luck and that you will be able to reach some of the kids. What a shame that good is wasted.

Another good question: Have you tried being a school bus driver lately?

Faster horses said:
What you are experiencing is why so many qualified teachers have quit the profession. Too many parents are no longer parents.

Here's wishing you good luck and that you will be able to reach some of the kids. What a shame that good is wasted.

Another good question: Have you tried being a school bus driver lately?

I would never get them home if they are like this in the classroom. :wink: I seems the hardest ones are the 5th and 6th graders. I have taught from 12 to 3 grade and most of the kids are pretty good, but I know most of their parents and if I have ANY TROUBLE I let them know. That also been a big help for the school to because a lot parents have always thought it was the teachers. But now since I have been up there its been different they told me. The kid that's giving me trouble is someone that moved up here from out of the country. (GOOD FIGURE) :roll: One good thing for me is I see people. :D

Trinity man said:
Well this has been an experiences I never thought I would do but I am because our school is short on substitutes. They have put me in a class with kids (2) that are always in trouble. I have been teaching them since the first of December and I am about ready to hang them. I have try to run the energy out of them by taking to the football field and made them run bleachers. That didn't work. I have try talking to them about what they have done and what the future has for them. No good either. I have talked to one of the kid parents about their kid and got some help from them since I have know them most of their life. But the other kid is about to be on the end of the rope. His parents think he is a angel from what the other teachers has told me. But this kid is in the 6th grade and can't add money and reads on a 3rd grade level because of the amount of trouble he is always in. Has anyone ever try substituting? I sometimes feel I have build 10 miles of fence after leaving this class. I wish the school would let me bring these little nuts out here and let me work the hell out of them so they would know what the real future has for them IF they don't straight up. :(

I will pass your post on to my mom and ask for some ideas that you might find useful to take the energy out of them. She teaches middle school (6 & 8 grade) and she has quite a few trouble makers in her class. She sub and taught pretty much all grades, so I know she might have some ideas to share... I volunteered in her classroom a lot, and I must say, these kids are desperate for someone to pay attention to them... We have one in her classroom who I see as a diamond in the works, but he is able to be spell if he makes another bad move, and the parents are not where to be seen.. He sent me a card with my mom and he wants me to send him mail, so desperate for attention, it makes me sad...

Got certified to Sub many years ago after college. Was teaching a shop class and a router fell out of a shaping table kid grabbed for it and took all the skin off the back of his hand, I took him down to the office and the ambulance came , other kids had mopped the shop and hallway and cleaned everything up with out being told. Year latter the Lawyer called.....

Trinityman,

My wife taught honors and advanced placement English in Chrisitian high schools for 35 years. She also taught in a public university for five years. When she retired from full-time teaching, she signed up to sub in a local public high school. It was a disaster.

The students were completely out of control throughout the high school. The adminstrators were mere puppets who feared the students, the students' parents, and the negative publicity that attended any attempt to bring order into the chaotic environment.

My wife subbed for about a year and said "Never again".

I feel sorry for anyone who has to endure the public school system.

Tom in TN

If there is any comfort for me in the frustration I feel from the youth of today it is in this quote:

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."

― Socrates

Silver said:
If there is any comfort for me in the frustration I feel from the youth of today it is in this quote:

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."

― Socrates

A lot of children have always acted that way. Now the president of the United States behaves in the same manner. :roll:

It all starts at home. That means you or the school district have to drag those parents into the school room so they can help with teaching. And parents can not pass the buck of any sorts or the kid goes to a school for the delinquent. It starts with the school board setting up standards that have to be met with the children and if not then a plan of getting the child out of the classroom and into other forms of school... It can be done. I've seen it..

Problem is. Most teachers are not interested in making kids good students or teaching for excellance. In the four years since our oldest son went to high school and now that our younger son is a freshman is totally differant and NOT for the best. Man do I miss Cory more than ever..

Trinity man said:

Yes I have been a teacher all my life, but like they say it is hard to soar like an eagle when you are roosting with buzzards.
Best. Joe

Latest posts