• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Subway to cut antibiocs in its meats

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I wonder if the people 'urging' fast food restaurants to cut antibiotics in meat realize how much LESS meat there would be without
antibiotics? Of course not.

This argument reminds me of the global warming controversy. Perception is everything, science be damned.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/money/consumer/subway-to-cut-antibotics-in-its-meats

Every slaughter house I've been to in the recent past checks every animal for anti-biotic residue in blood.

I am currently running for County Commissioner and I am very aware of perception.

People have ask about me not grading the county roads this year, in the past the county has paid me to grade roads as I do a very good job. Now that I am running I will not take any pay from the county even though if elected I will not take office till next year - - - I do not want the perception of impropriety.

If it is antibiotics in the feed, I would applaud their decision....if it is the occasional use of antibiotics, that is different. Spoke to an organic fellow the other day an he stated they can use antibiotics, but the withdrawal time is twice the stated label.

George........how can you become a real politician with that attitude? Oh well........give it some time.......you might come around to a real politician attitude......after a few years in office........most do.

At my age I hope I have established a firm enough stance to be able to withstand the pressure!

As far as Subway - - - I feel this is just a marketing ploy! And the American people will probably fall for it!

It is all ''perception''. From your thread title, I was curious when they started using antibiotics in the first place. It is against the law to have it in the meat, so I wonder if the new supplier will break the law also? This is like cereal makers posting labels that they are using non GMO oats!

On Subway's website, I see it says something like Rotisserie Chicken raised without antibiotics. It doesn't say how much extra it costs. Probably from China. :lol:

George said:
I am currently running for County Commissioner and I am very aware of perception.

People have ask about me not grading the county roads this year, in the past the county has paid me to grade roads as I do a very good job. Now that I am running I will not take any pay from the county even though if elected I will not take office till next year - - - I do not want the perception of impropriety.

George, for your sake, and the sake & sanity of your family, I hope you DON'T get elected. I made the mistake of running for Kommisar once, and thankfully didn't get in. Best thing that ever happened to me. You're too sharp and too good an operator to have to dumb yourself down to the level of bed wetters and window lickers, which, IMHO, is pretty much the mental standard of most Kommisar boards.

I am running in the hope that I can make the area better for my kids and grand kids - - - it might be a pipe dream but I feel someone needs to try and the man there now is very corrupt and needs to go!

If we take antibiotics out of cattle feeds, hot feeds, and chicken feeds - that will be great for the cattle industry. There's 2 kinds of feeding cattle drugs therauputic and sub therapeutic feeding. You get a marginal boost in feed efficiency from sub therauputic drug feeding, but you're not feeding to the level to cure something like bvd. The therauputic level of drug feeding is supposed to be to a level that cures shipping fever or something like that. 20 years ago, when me and bob bohlander were still young, he wrote a long analysis doing the math to get treatment levels of antibiotics in the blood stream. Bottom line is: if you're treating a sickness, the only way to get therauputic levels in the blood (cost effectively) is with a needle. As cheap as corn is, a little bump won't pay for sub therapeutic drugs. That will change if corn goes up. I think the U.S. Cattle industry is benefitted by drugs being administered as therauputic remedy for sickness. Let open range chickens compete on price with beef.

I have no problem with implants. Nobody can Id or distinguish implanted beef from non implanted beef. That said, the eu used implants to keep us/Canada beef out of Europe.

We use therapeutic level ctc here post weaning. Yes it is cost effective and yes it works against brd. The new high powered injectable antibiotics are very effective but very expensive also. The main problem in beef system is the dairy industry as we all get lumped together.

I can state with confidence that being on a good year-round mineral program cuts way down on the need for antibiotics.
With a quality mineral the immune system is enhanced and cattle can fight off many things on their own.
I would suggest that if you are not on a quality year-round mineral program, get on one. :) You will be amazed at
how little you spend with the veterinarian. I have documentation from Texas A&M where they did the research and found
that cattle on feed benefited (less sickness resulting in less pulls) from being on a mineral program while on the cow. I'd be happy to send that to anyone who is interested in seeing it. Just shoot me a PM.

A year-round program means having mineral available to the cattle on a daily basis. :)

Faster horses said:
I can state with confidence that being on a good year-round mineral program cuts way down on the need for antibiotics.
With a quality mineral the immune system is enhanced and cattle can fight off many things on their own.
I would suggest that if you are not on a quality year-round mineral program, get on one. :) You will be amazed at
how little you spend with the veterinarian. I have documentation from Texas A&M where they did the research and found
that cattle on feed benefited (less sickness resulting in less pulls) from being on a mineral program while on the cow. I'd be happy to send that to anyone who is interested in seeing it. Just shoot me a PM.

A year-round program means having mineral available to the cattle on a daily basis. :)
Agreed. We wean several times and none of the calves get preconditioning shots until the day they're pulled off the cows. That isn't how it should be done, but it's kind of the way we have to do it, but it really isn't a problem.

Latest posts