• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

summer pet peeve

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
School teachers that go and get the summer jobs that the high school and college kids need. I don't have a problem with the one that have their own summer weed spray , construction, seem less siding or other business, but they don't need to be working for the weed and pest , the highway department, forest service or other summer employers let the kids have some college money....

My wife's a school teacher and has never had a summer job. With Obamacare being implemented our family of 6 is now paying over $18,000 a year for health insurance. I hate to say it, but the school teachers might need the money more from those jobs than the high school and college kids do. It's becoming increasingly hard to try to get just a little bit ahead in this day and age. Just saying.

river rat said:
My wife's a school teacher and has never had a summer job. With Obamacare being implemented our family of 6 is now paying over $18,000 a year for health insurance. I hate to say it, but the school teachers might need the money more from those jobs than the high school and college kids do. It's becoming increasingly hard to try to get just a little bit ahead in this day and age. Just saying.
But your High school kid or college kid could make that money go farther because of less tax and less money out of your pocket for them.

I can see both sides - - - but is that kid paying off school loans?

Most of the teachers in this area are making about $30,000 per year as the schools systems will "Not renew" their contracts as raises are due and then hire young teachers again. My wife has been with the school system here for 17 years and keeps taking more courses - - -she makes $26,000 per year - - - I keep telling her to quit but she "loves her job".

Over half of the high school teachers here have less than 10 years and are starting out at about minimum wage!

Then the school board will hire a "Superintendent" for over $200,000 per year - - - there has to be something going on that I have not figured out!

But that is part of why our schools are in the terrible shape they are in.

George said:
I can see both sides - - - but is that kid paying off school loans?

Most of the teachers in this area are making about $30,000 per year as the schools systems will "Not renew" their contracts as raises are due and then hire young teachers again. My wife has been with the school system here for 17 years and keeps taking more courses - - -she makes $26,000 per year - - - I keep telling her to quit but she "loves her job".

Over half of the high school teachers here have less than 10 years and are starting out at about minimum wage!

Then the school board will hire a "Superintendent" for over $200,000 per year - - - there has to be something going on that I have not figured out!

But that is part of why our schools are in the terrible shape they are in.
teacher start at that here a lot are up around the $75,000 year , no wonder teachers want to move to Wyoming.
plus if the kid erns enough maybe they won't need a school loan

Pretty simple supply/demand thing with the teachers salaries. If there are that many young teachers around willing to work for that cheap it's going to be hard to justify higher salaries when the "talent" pool is that populated.

Where as Wyoming, not everybody wants to live out there and it takes more to get someone hired.

river rat said:

Seems like with Obama's "hope and change," there is sure a lot more change than hope. Nebraska's Senator Ben Nelson was the last deciding vote to make Obamacare happen. As a fellow Nebraskan I do apologize for his actions, even though I didn't ever vote for him.

jodywy said:
School teachers that go and get the summer jobs that the high school and college kids need. quote]
[/quote]

These are the same kids that are to lazy too get out of bed and make it to those jobs therefore leaving the employer looking for dependable help.

4Diamond said:
jodywy said:
School teachers that go and get the summer jobs that the high school and college kids need. quote]

These are the same kids that are to lazy too get out of bed and make it to those jobs therefore leaving the employer looking for dependable help.[/quote]
there a lot of farm raised kids here come home for the summer and no summer jobs because the schoolteachers all ready have them wrapped up

I pay wages to my son who is 14 if I don't someone else will I also have a guy who works in the shop and on the farm. I will also be hireing my Father in law this summer. And if anyone wants to work I'm sure I can find something for them to do. I have no problem finding work it's finding good help where I have trouble. Shop here closes at 5:00 pm and no weekends. I've got enough to do without being in the dungeon all weekend.

Most people want to play way more than they want to work.

I went to the tire shop today and the owner 75 was busy changing tires for a air seeder with a car getting a windshield patch and another car with two tires new and two old. He forgot i had called yesterday for 4 new tires for the 3/4 ton. He said yesterday he had two guys working for him but today his long time man was at the coal mine changing scraper tires and his newer guy decided yesterday he didn't want to work in a tire shop anymore.
So I pulled the truck in and took the tires off and put them on while he changed them. His wife stopped by and he told her he had the only self serve tire shop in the area.

Good help is hard to find. :?

My school aged kids are not to lazy to get out of bed. They get up at 5:45 every morning and do their milk cows and chores before leaving for school with their mother at 7:05 everyday. I'm just saying with the scholarships, and low interest loans that are available to my high school senior(who is her class valedictorian by the way, BRAGGING DAD!!!!) she has an easier road financially than I and my wife do at the moment. My wife brings home between $2,200, and $2,300 a month take home after 20 years of teaching. With healthcare rising, every raise she has received in the last 10 years has more than been eaten up by that. I'm not saying my wife is going to get summer work, but I wouldn't judge those teachers that do, because teaching is not nearly as rosy as you think, especially her in rural South Dakota. I don't know what the job situation is like where you live, but around here if you are willing to work at all it's not hard to find somebody to hire you. They can't even keep the doors open to some of the new places that were built her (Subway) for example, because they can't finf reliable people to work the jobs.

I was farm raised and never had the option of coming home for the summer and looking for a job. My dad had plenty of work lined up and getting an outside job wasn't an option.

Is there no farm work for these farm raised kids? I guess that is what confuses me.....

Denny said:
I pay wages to my son who is 14 if I don't someone else will I also have a guy who works in the shop and on the farm. I will also be hireing my Father in law this summer. And if anyone wants to work I'm sure I can find something for them to do. I have no problem finding work it's finding good help where I have trouble. Shop here closes at 5:00 pm and no weekends. I've got enough to do without being in the dungeon all weekend.

Most people want to play way more than they want to work.

Most people want a check, they just don't want to work.
I remember when we were young and welfare was easy to get, we thought
then about what the repercussions would be. I think we are seeing it.

We are so proud that our grandson goes to Tech School and has a job
running heavy equipment when he's not in school. Our neighbor boy
wanted a motorcycle some years ago and his parents made him pay for it
himself. He did everything to earn a dollar towards that motorcycle. He
was able to buy it himself. Now as a young man, he's got a steady job working
for the highway department. Responsibility and supervision when young, teaches so much in the game of life.

That situation of high teacher salaries in WY has been the same since at least 19534, when some of my older friends graduated from highschool. They would go to Black Hills State College for two years, then go to WY to teach school for far more than teachers of same age and education, maybe even of experienced teachers, not sure, as that was a few years ago!

The difference in teacher salaries between SD and WY at that time, probably still is, the oil in WY pays lots of taxes, while schools in SD are funded largely by property taxes. And what oil pumped in SD is in the northwest corner of the state, and there isn't a lot of it at this time.

mrj

mrj said:
That situation of high teacher salaries in WY has been the same since at least 19534, when some of my older friends graduated from highschool. They would go to Black Hills State College for two years, then go to WY to teach school for far more than teachers of same age and education, maybe even of experienced teachers, not sure, as that was a few years ago!

The difference in teacher salaries between SD and WY at that time, probably still is, the oil in WY pays lots of taxes, while schools in SD are funded largely by property taxes. And what oil pumped in SD is in the northwest corner of the state, and there isn't a lot of it at this time.

mrj

Oil, coal, uranium, methane all play a part in financing Wyoming schools.
In Wyoming the Game and Fish fines also go to the schools, or did, last I knew.
Almost all of the 3.6 million surface acres of Wyoming's state-owned lands are "trust lands."
"Trust lands" are managed to produce income for the state's schools and public institutions as well.

I've always had a lot of respect for how Wyoming operates as a state.
They have lots of natural resources and are not afraid to use them
in an environmentally safe way. Montana should have taken a lesson from Wyoming a long time ago....
IMHO. They have the natural resources, they
just don't want to use them. Sadly, South Dakota isn't so fortunate.

If that Keystone Pipeline would get built, they would be paying some sizeable property and other taxes, as well as building up some county roads, some in areas where the roads aren't much more than trails with a bit of gravel put on many years ago, meaning it is mostly washed or blown off the road tracks!

mrj

Latest posts