• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

summer pet peeve

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I am normally very good at keeping my mouth shut but this is going to be a one time rant and I will be done.

I am completely appalled that someone said anything about a teacher getting a summer job, no matter what it is. Educators have the most thankless job on the planet and this just adds insult to injury. Unless you are a teacher or are married to one you have no idea the amount of time, effort and passion that a good teacher puts in for basically poverty wages. I cannot believe that farmers/ranchers (very close second most thankless job on earth) would say anything about a teacher trying to better themselves by having a summer job. It shouldn't matter what kind of job it is or who they were hired in front of.
Teachers put up with kids who could care a less about what kind of effort the teacher puts in, all most of them do is argue and disrespect the teacher who is there trying to help them improve their future. Then they put up with parents who think their child is an angel and couldn't do wrong, and the parents think that teacher just doesn't like their kid. Then they put up with increasing pressure from the state to get the kids to perform on state testing while they try to cram more material into the same number of school days. All of that for just barely better than poverty. Hooray for the teacher/s that sparked this thread.

I am an educator and a farmer and I will add that most teachers don't teach for the money. Its all about the kids and its those few kids that you get to make a difference with that keep teachers teaching. Education is the most rewarding job on the planet(IMHO). People should be ashamed of themselves for saying anything about a teacher trying to make money in the summer.

bgc said:
I am normally very good at keeping my mouth shut but this is going to be a one time rant and I will be done.

I am completely appalled that someone said anything about a teacher getting a summer job, no matter what it is. Educators have the most thankless job on the planet and this just adds insult to injury. Unless you are a teacher or are married to one you have no idea the amount of time, effort and passion that a good teacher puts in for basically poverty wages. I cannot believe that farmers/ranchers (very close second most thankless job on earth) would say anything about a teacher trying to better themselves by having a summer job. It shouldn't matter what kind of job it is or who they were hired in front of.
Teachers put up with kids who could care a less about what kind of effort the teacher puts in, all most of them do is argue and disrespect the teacher who is there trying to help them improve their future. Then they put up with parents who think their child is an angel and couldn't do wrong, and the parents think that teacher just doesn't like their kid. Then they put up with increasing pressure from the state to get the kids to perform on state testing while they try to cram more material into the same number of school days. All of that for just barely better than poverty. Hooray for the teacher/s that sparked this thread.

I am an educator and a farmer and I will add that most teachers don't teach for the money. Its all about the kids and its those few kids that you get to make a difference with that keep teachers teaching. Education is the most rewarding job on the planet(IMHO). People should be ashamed of themselves for saying anything about a teacher trying to make money in the summer.

I am glad you posted this. Thank you...

I'll bet that if someone wants a job (not just a paycheck), that teacher and student could both be working. I know a couple of boys I would make a job for, and some others that I sure couldn't use. If a teacher works like them, I have no prejudice against age.

Shortgrass said:
I'll bet that if someone wants a job (not just a paycheck), that teacher and student could both be working.

Shortgrass- interesting comment... AS I have seen it work within our county- where we have a mosquito control district and a weed control district where most the work is done only during the summer months...
Often the local science teachers (who have taken and kept up with all the government reguired certification for using these type chemicals) have been the Supervisors under the local extension/weed Agents (also certified) for the summer spraying and they/the county/district hire students (usually those with a grade level to understand chemicals and often from farm/ranch homes with knowledge of the area they are working in) for doing the majority of the work...
I know my son worked there when in HS and his first year back from college....
Been a WIN- WIN for teachers and students...

I use teachers that have their own business , spray, construction, even some for just labor.
Won't hire one for summer riding(herding) job because they are back in school when they really need to riding in September.
Sorry but what bothers me the teachers working the Government Memorial day to Labor Day jobs for City, county , state or federal.

As most employers I would much rather hire an older,experienced,dependable employee. All I say is apply for the job and if you don't get it apply for another.

I had a call the other day from a federal agency wanting to know if our company wanted to bid on some trailers for the federal government my answer was a firm. (Hell No) were building a trailer for a Hutterite Colony and thats more government than I care to deal with. To many Boss'es in these type of jobs.

My views on hiring changed when I became a supervisor in Food processing. I'm glad to find anyone that will work...

BTW, I would Love it if more teachers worked outside education. I think getting a taste of the real world helps keep them grounded and realistic... I have always felt Ranchers wives are the best teachers and... The best help on the ranch as well!

PPRM said:
BTW, I would Love it if more teachers worked outside education. I think getting a taste of the real world helps keep them grounded and realistic... I have always felt Ranchers wives are the best teachers and... The best help on the ranch as well!

And non teachers should to teach to appreciate the bs teachers go through....

Latest posts