• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sun Dogs....AND a Ring around the Sun

Help Support Ranchers.net:

IluvAltaBeef

Reaction score
I'm home for the weekend right now, and seen these two things when I was outside getting some fresh air and doing some chores.

I guess that means another snow storm's coming our way in about 24 hours, especially if you see first a couple sun dogs, then a ring around the sun (big one too), and then more sun dogs after that. Yikes!!

And I just had to dig the salt block out of the snow, and chop ice from the cattle waterers, and go and see how deep the snow got since I was gone (actually comes up to my butt in places, and I would imagine higher in others; makes it seem like what the city got was nuthin compared to what we got out here).

It's hard to get around anywhere anymore with just snowboots on, and then again you'd still sink in even if you had a good pair of snowshes or skiis on...snow's still soft yet. And of course it's cold today, but not cold enough for me! :)

IluvAltaBeef said:
I'm home for the weekend right now, and seen these two things when I was outside getting some fresh air and doing some chores.

I guess that means another snow storm's coming our way in about 24 hours, especially if you see first a couple sun dogs, then a ring around the sun (big one too), and then more sun dogs after that. Yikes!!

And I just had to dig the salt block out of the snow, and chop ice from the cattle waterers, and go and see how deep the snow got since I was gone (actually comes up to my butt in places, and I would imagine higher in others; makes it seem like what the city got was nuthin compared to what we got out here).

It's hard to get around anywhere anymore with just snowboots on, and then again you'd still sink in even if you had a good pair of snowshes or skiis on...snow's still soft yet. And of course it's cold today, but not cold enough for me! :)

PICTURES !!!!! I WANNA SEE PICTURES!!!!! :nod: :nod:

IluvAltaBeef said:

I didn't notice sundogs today but then I wasn't really looking for them on my drive home from work.So where are you...I'm guessing Edson area...or closer to GP :???:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
We always watched for rings around the moon. Then however many stars show up in the ring is how many days it will be before rain.
I never have heard of counting the stars Lilly so does it work?

This is what a sun dog looks like from an airplane view. Completely unlike what they look like from the ground.

DSC01652.jpg

Mrs.Greg said:
IluvAltaBeef said:

I didn't notice sundogs today but then I wasn't really looking for them on my drive home from work.So where are you...I'm guessing Edson area...or closer to GP :???:

Sort of in between there. Barrhead area (north east of). What about you?

Hanta Yo said:
IluvAltaBeef said:

PICTURES !!!!! I WANNA SEE PICTURES!!!!! :nod: :nod:

Wish I could....forgot the dc in the city :x so took pics with the 35mm camera...and you know how long it takes to get film developed from that. :roll:

Excuses excuses, right? :lol: :wink:

Ever time I've ever noticed a ring around the moon I look to count stars....and Yes.....it's always rained in the number of days there were stars. Not always a big rain...but rain none the less.

That's somethin my grandaddy taught me. He died when I was 5. Boy I wish I could talk to him now. He was such a neat person. He could witch water, make warts go away (some sayin he had and then made you count them) Just all kinda things that as a 5 year old I was amazed by, and now I would like to know more :?

Hey I saw those sundogs today...they were like straight rainbows on either side of the sun...I've really never seen them that coloured before,usually white strips...interesting and makes you wonder what coming :???:

We're in between Camrose and Stettler,Battle River area. :)

Mrs.Greg said:
Hey I remeber me and my folks drove through there a while ago, when I was still in elementary school, some really pretty country there, 'specially when driving over the Battle River, always fascinated me at how you'd look waaaaay down from the bridge and see the river winding away. That's about as pretty of country as you can see along with the Rockies. Lucky you to live there, Mrs. Greg. :D Maybe I'll have to stop by for a visit someday if I'm headed down that way.

IluvAltaBeef said:
Mrs.Greg said:
Hey I remeber me and my folks drove through there a while ago, when I was still in elementary school, some really pretty country there, 'specially when driving over the Battle River, always fascinated me at how you'd look waaaaay down from the bridge and see the river winding away. That's about as pretty of country as you can see along with the Rockies. Lucky you to live there, Mrs. Greg. :D Maybe I'll have to stop by for a visit someday if I'm headed down that way.
Your more then welcome...we're always looking for someone to help fence the river pasture,wiener roast after...Lol,just teasing about the fencing but yes you for sure should stop :)

Latest posts