• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sunday afternoon fencing project, 7-8-2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
As you all know, usually it befalls upon me to take pictures while coercing others to do most of the work. Yesterday I found
some very bad fence in need of immediate fixing before a fresh pasture could be used. Everyone else had prior commitments,
so I attacked the job with a vengence and eventually won. :)
Afternoonfencingproject800x600.jpg

Sunday afternoon fencing project
Iarrivedonthesceneatfourfifteen800x600.jpg

I arrived on the scene at four-fifteen.
Itsamess800x600.jpg

It's a mess.
ThinkIhaveeverythingIneed800x600.jpg

Think I have everything I need.
Asnakebitingoffmorethanitcanchew600x800.jpg

Took time to photograph a snake with what looks like more than it can chew
Snakewithamouthful600x800.jpg

The snake has a mouthful, and it kept trying to drag the frog to higher ground.
Ifthisisthesamesnakeitsmakingprogress800x600.jpg

This is a bigger snake with a dainter mouthful of the same entree.
Theonethatgotaway800x600.jpg

This little froggie got away.
Gotthecornersinbysixforty800x600.jpg

Got the corners in and the wires fished out of the lake by six-forty.
Firststretchdonebyseventhirty800x600.jpg

First stretch done by seven-thirty.
Alldonebyeightoclock800x600.jpg

All done by eight o'clock. Now I just need to pick up some stray posts and wire and go home.
Sundownonthelake800x600.jpg

Sundown on the lake
RoundLake800x600.jpg

Looking across Round Lake
SundownoverSBLake800x600.jpg

Sundown over S B Lake on the way home
Withsomesoapweedsforeffect800x600.jpg

Same sundown with some soapweeds for effect
PatientlywaitingwhileItakemorephotos800x600.jpg

Polaris partner patiently passing time while I take pictures
Theolduglyhatthatprotectsmyabilitytothink800x600.jpg

The ugly old hat that saw me through the project. :roll: :hat: :cboy:

Looks like a bang up job. If you ever find yourself needing to hire out on a fencing crew to earn a couple extra dollars, i might give you a try. :D This is straw hat weather Soap. I'd think your head would catch fire wearing a black felt this time a year. :wink:

How did you set those wooden posts? Did you have to dig the holes by hand? Your soil is so much different than ours here. Great pictures as usual. Glad the froggie got away! Would much rather have frogs than snakes!

leanin' H said:
Looks like a bang up job. If you ever find yourself needing to hire out on a fencing crew to earn a couple extra dollars, i might give you a try. :D This is straw hat weather Soap. I'd think your head would catch fire wearing a black felt this time a year. :wink:

An old guy like me couldn't keep up with the likes of you, Leanin' H. You'd end up having to keep me on just because you are too nice of a guy to fire me. :wink: Probably the reason I'm going bald is from wearing a felt hat on a lifetime of too many hot days. It does stay on when the wind blows.

Red Barn Angus said:
How did you set those wooden posts? Did you have to dig the holes by hand? Your soil is so much different than ours here. Great pictures as usual. Glad the froggie got away! Would much rather have frogs than snakes!

The holes were all dug by hand. It was interesting digging. Without any rain, the ground is very dry. Before digging, I had to scrape away the "sugar sand" so it wouldn't fall back in the hole. Even though the top eighteen inches dug hard because of no moisture, the bottoms of the holes were in mud. Only in the Sandhills. :roll:

Dad and I think we have fixed more fence on Sunday then any other day of the week. :? :lol:

Do sharpened posts not drive in that sand? We use posts that size sharpened and I have a slip hammer made out if 6 inch pipe with handles that I use.

Wondered where you were last night. I found the same type of situation this morning, in between us and a neighbor, and I went around the fence a month ago. I HATE YEARLING heifers!!!!!!!!!!! Especially against a 3 wire fence!!!! You would think they would finish out the 4th wire, but I guess out of sight out of mind.
I have never tried to drive wood posts in this country. I have tried pushing them in with the loader, and that hasn't been to successful. :oops:

GM88 said:
We use posts that size sharpened and I have a slip hammer made out if 6 inch pipe with handles that I use.
I tried to give mine away but no one would take it. :lol:
big guy here made one out of a Oxygen bottle , the handles are just right as you lift it off it will roll towards youir head.We used it on a forest srvice fence we got conned into building, first rul was 2 people on it so nobody got cold cocked...

Latest posts