• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Support for R-CALF is exploding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Support for R-CALF is exploding from U.S. cattle producers. R-CALF announced, "One year ago, membership in R-CALF USA stood at just over 8,000. In 12 short months, membership in the only national organization that exclusively represents independent U.S. cattle producers proudly tops out at more than 18,000 - phenomenal growth by any standard. Benefit rollover calf auctions held across the country to raise funds for this non-profit organization continued to pick up steam and set a record for contributions, with a whopping $886,000 generated in just the first quarter of 2005."

The success of R-CALF is virtually opposite the failure of the NCBA. If cattlemen were fully informed of all the lies and deception perpetrated by the NCBA, the packer lackeys would be run out of the beef industry on a rail.

I can't begin to imagine why anyone would want to associate with such a group of deceptionists as the NCBA. Fearful of losing membership over its support for reopening the Canadian border, NCBA officials backed off prior to convention saying that the NCBA membership would set policy. They did, listing criteria that were to be met before reopening the border. The ink was hardly dry on the printed policy and the NCBA was joining in the USDA lawsuit to open the border in total disregard of membership imposed restrictions. They can spin that however they want but I don't do spin. NCBA hierarchy lied to and deceived their own membership.

Whether the issue is in mandatory price reporting, COOL, a packer ban on livestock ownership, spot market protection, or border issues Senator Chuck

Grassley's label for the NCBA as packer lackeys couldn't be more accurate. I may not agree with every policy of R-CALF (I don't) but you know, they've never lied to me. They don't say one thing and do another. Ten thousand new cattlemen signed on to join R-CALF this year because it was honest and the

NCBA is not. Integrity, credibility, honesty are virtues that are manipulated by the NCBA as part of their deception instead of embraced by them. Cattlemen aren't stupid. There are two groups, one doing the lying and one being lied too. Those who think they benefit from the deception send in their NCBA membership. Those who've realized the truth joined R-CALF in droves. Nebraska

R-CALF membership tripled, adding 2000 new members last year. Never in the history of the cattle industry has the NCBA ever come close to performing for producers to generate the kind of response from producers in membership and financial support as R-CALF has. Real cattlemen joined R-CALF. Packer lackey's run the NCBA.

"'It's apparent that independent cattle producers across the U.S. not only appreciate the representation R-CALF has given them on trade and marketing issues, but also that they see fit to support the organization that's supporting them,' said Margene Eiguren, also national co-chair for R-CALF USA's membership committee. 'When a benefit calf auction for R-CALF can raise over $56,000 in one day, as it did at Treasure Valley Livestock Auction, there is no question that cattle producers support R-CALF.'

'In 2004 and 2005, we saw big numbers in South Dakota, Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Iowa, but it was Nebraska that took our breath away. Our volunteers more than tripled membership in the Cornhusker State,' said R-CALF USA Membership Services Coordinator Jenni Ries. 'We also added four new states to our roster - Maine, Alaska, Hawaii, and Massachusetts. This year, we're seeing steady growth in the New England states and the Deep South, the result of enthusiastic volunteerism and an increased awareness about R-CALF and the beneficial work we don on behalf of cattle producers.'

Ries emphasized the strong growth could be attributed to the organization's commitment to the issues and a very active volunteer base, but just as importantly, R-CALF USA's high standards of upholding the policies that members vote into place."

The NCBA went to convention, producers set policy and then immediately like it. That's why R-CALF membership is surging.

"Membership in Iowa is up at least tenfold compared to a year ago, according to R-CALF USA Iowa membership chair Eric Nelson."

Iowa cattlemen have aligned with R-CALF, yet the Iowa Cattlemen's Association's hierarchy has made new efforts to embrace the NCBA. The ICA is now similar to the NCBA in that its leadership fails to implement policy from members when that policy conflicts with NCBA objectives, in essence joining the packer lackeys deceiving its membership. If Iowa cattlemen had the full story as to how ICA conducts policy, ICA membership would implode like the NCBA's. The ICA has surrendered its policy implementation to the NCBA and will pay a price for it.

So.......how many are adult, cattle owning, individual memberships paid for by that individual.......as opposed to people being given memberships for each fifty dollars collected from whomever in the "roll-over" auctions?

Of course we will never be shown the facts of that situation.

Still, 18,000 members is a very small number of the total cattle owning population of this nation. The real success of that outfit is that the PR generating people working for them are phenomenally successful in getting those "news" releases into print and on the radio stations.

MRJ

from another board

I would certainly question RCALF's claims about their membership numbers. We received a free membership last year from someone I don't even know! I wonder how many of those 15,000 are actually dues paying members

I guess I could have called and asked my name be removed from their member rolls, but I was interested in reading their newsletters. RCALF just doesn't seem to be an issue in my part of the country and I wanted to know more than I read at ranchers.net. The literature they've sent so far hasn't inspired me to offer them any support. But every time I see someone bragging about their membership, I have this nagging thought as to how many of them are paid members and how many are like me?

I for one did not receive any memberships for my donations. That was fine with me, let them use the money for other things. Talking about memberships; I signed up for a cattle marketing service that is just awesome. The only drawback was that I had to pay dues to the Iowa Cattlemens Association/NCBA along with the cost of the service. Forcing a membership to receive this service is worse than giving a membership for a donation. Then to find out the ICA backed certain things of the NCBA I didn't agree with and I had no voice or vote.

feeder said:
I for one did not receive any memberships for my donations. That was fine with me, let them use the money for other things. Talking about memberships; I signed up for a cattle marketing service that is just awesome. The only drawback was that I had to pay dues to the Iowa Cattlemens Association/NCBA along with the cost of the service. Forcing a membership to receive this service is worse than giving a membership for a donation. Then to find out the ICA backed certain things of the NCBA I didn't agree with and I had no voice or vote.

1. How do you know that signing up "new members" for each $50.00 in "donations" is not done in the office without your knowledge? And the money still can be used for other things, cant it?

2. Last time I checked, it was the right of a state cattle organization to determine how their membership with NCBA would work......all inclusive, or by individual sign-up. It is less costly, book keeping procedure-wise to have all-inclusive. Works well in some states, not in others.

3. You were a member of ICA, so certainly you DID have a choice! You did not HAVE to join, you CHOSE to join because you wanted a deal on that marketing service which aligned with ICA, or is a service of that organization, is it not? You certainly are not FORCED by anything other than your desire to partake of the service which does include membership in NCBA.

4. Can you seriously think that the two scenarios of acquiring membership you describe are comparable?

I seriously doubt any membership organization worthy of paying dues into can be expected never to set a policy that pleases every member all the time. Isn't it expecting a little too much for all other members to see evey issue exactly as you do?

MRJ

4. Can you seriously think that the two scenarios of acquiring membership you describe are comparable?
No they are not comparable, the other orgs make you become a member of NCBA if you join theirs.

R-calf the people gave freely to R-calf, therefore they donated to a cause the believed in.

I seriously doubt any membership organization worthy of paying dues into can be expected never to set a policy that pleases every member all the time. Isn't it expecting a little too much for all other members to see evey issue exactly as you do?

Then why bitch at the members of R-calf? We don't agree on all of the policy either.
MRJ

Excuse me MRJ, but it was no"deal" given for the marketing service by paying ICA dues. I paid dearly for the service!!!! Your talk about policy is a load of cr**. After the NCBA convention, NCBA talked the talk and walked the walk of cattlemen. Later they changed their tune. the ICA never asked me for a vote, so how the heck could they determine as a state org. what side of the fence they were going to be on. And as for the $50.00 membership to R-CALF with donations, that might be used for me for my membership in the future, I don't know;I guess I won't have to worry for the rest of my liftime to ever pay again, my donations will have covered it. You can post your 11 points and what has been met, but what a pitiful spin you have to do to achieve it. You can always downgrade people with your so called knowledge,but believe me, I'd rather have my simple common sense.

feeder (to MRJ): "You can always downgrade people with your so called knowledge,but believe me, I'd rather have my simple common sense."

That's good, I like common sense!

How about the common sense that fat cattle prices went from a high of $116 to $82 with the Canadian border closed to live cattle.

Is that common sense enough for you to make the determination that the closed Canadian border was not the driving force in our markets?

How about the common sense that we exported a 7 year average of $1.3 "BILLION" dollars more worth of beef, beef variety meats, hides and live cattle combined than we imported prior to the Canadian border being closed and prior to losing our previous export markets.

Is that common sense enough for you to make the determination that NAFTA has not been detrimental to the U.S. cattle/beef industry?

How about the common sense that the BSE precautionary measures in the U.S. and Canada are virtually identical. R-CULT called Canadian beef "high risk" when they had a case of BSE in their native herd. R-CULT said we had "the safest beef in the world" when we had a case of BSE in our native herd.

It that comon sense enough for you to realize that R-CULT risked the integrity of 80% of our U.S. beef consumption (domestic production) to stop the importation of 5% of our U.S. beef consumption (Canadian live cattle)?

What if the media had believed R-CULT's court case position regaring the safety of a country's beef once that country has BSE within their native herd? You should thank your lucky stars the 9th circuit threw R-CULT's position out the door.

How about a lecture on common sense now?

With R-CULT, there is no common sense!

~SH~

No Sh, No lecture from me on common sense to you. Some have it and some don't, and then there are some you don't want to waste your time with.

I didn't figure you'd want to address the facts I presented feeder.

You're exactly right, some have it and some don't.

Those who have it can back their position with supporting facts and those who don't have it offer nothing more than opinions and statements.

I guess we know where that leaves you.

~SH~

Hay Maker, nobody cares about r-cults ridiculous news releases. They are irrelevant now. They will continue to con ranchers into giving them money so they can piss it away on wild goose chases. They will never accomplish anything with their pathetic, childish antics and the stigma of being a pack of liars and fools.

Since its inception, R-CALF USA has profoundly impacted the U.S. live cattle industry.

R-CALF USA led the cattle industry to victory by working to pass mandatory country of origin labeling that reserves the USA label for only cattle born, raised, and slaughtered in the U.S.

R-CALF USA is leading the cattle industry's effort to clarify and enforce the Packers & Stockyards Act by banning packer ownership of livestock, requiring all forward contracts to include a firm base price, and by protecting the cash market from further "thinning."

R-CALF USA was instrumental in proving that the economic models used by USDA and the International Trade Commission were outdated and incapable of accurately predicting the effects of market concentration, forward contracts, and marketing agreements on the price of cattle. R-CALF USA is presently working with Congress to have these economic models updated.

R-CALF USA is working hard to achieve meaningful trade safeguards for U.S. cattle producers in the Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA) agreement to ensure fairness for U.S. cattle producers.

R-CALF USA successfully included live cattle under the definition of a perishable and cyclical agricultural product during Congress's debate of Trade Promotion Authority. This designation affords live cattle additional safeguards should rising imports threaten to collapse domestic prices.

Did anyone hear the Ft. Pierre Livestock Auction report on KBHB this morning? Poor ol' Dennis Hanson was really crying in his beer about the border opening, and he was practically sobbing before his report was over. It tickled me that even Bob Looby, the disc jockey, got sick of listening to it and cut him off short. :wink: :)

R-CALF worked to pass a flawed labeling law that exempted 75% of the beef, prohibited the means to enforce it, and created a novelty item out of foreign beef at the expense of segregating all beef. Real beef marketing wizards!

R-CALF thinks they can create additional competition for feeder cattle by banning packers from bidding on them. They think that the government should decide who can own cattle and how those cattle should be marketed. This effort is driven by the LMA to keep more fed cattle routed through their barns so they can carve their commission dollars out of our profits. R-CALF supported the plaintiffs in Pickett vs. ibp that testified to entering into captive supply arrangements with packers then blamed them for manipulating markets due to their need for less cattle in the cash market. Real cattle marketing wizards!

R-CULTs theories on packer concentration are nothing more than "untested theories" by so called experts who have never even tested those theories according to testimony from Pickett vs. ibp.

R-CULT doesn't want trade because they claim we don't produce enough beef to satisfy our own domestic market now. They fail to mention the price it would be offered at without our export markets. They oppose the current effort to reduce our heavy tarriffs to Central American Countries and cuss NAFTA when we had had a $1.3 billion seven year trade surplus prior to the closing of the borders. Real trade wizards!

Gooooooooo R-CULT!

~SH~

Soapweed said:
Did anyone hear the Ft. Pierre Livestock Auction report on KBHB this morning? Poor ol' Dennis Hanson was really crying in his beer about the border opening, and he was practically sobbing before his report was over. It tickled me that even Bob Looby, the disc jockey, got sick of listening to it and cut him off short. :wink: :)

:lol:

~SH~ said:
R-CALF worked to pass a flawed labeling law that exempted 75% of the beef, prohibited the means to enforce it, and created a novelty item out of foreign beef at the expense of segregating all beef. Real beef marketing wizards!

R-CALF thinks they can create additional competition for feeder cattle by banning packers from bidding on them. They think that the government should decide who can own cattle and how those cattle should be marketed. This effort is driven by the LMA to keep more fed cattle routed through their barns so they can carve their commission dollars out of our profits. R-CALF supported the plaintiffs in Pickett vs. ibp that testified to entering into captive supply arrangements with packers then blamed them for manipulating markets due to their need for less cattle in the cash market. Real cattle marketing wizards!

R-CULTs theories on packer concentration are nothing more than
Code:
"untested theories" by so called experts who have never even tested those theories according to testimony from Pickett vs. ibp.
R-CULT doesn't want trade because they claim we don't produce enough beef to satisfy our own domestic market now. They fail to mention the price it would be offered at without our export markets. They oppose the current effort to reduce our heavy tarriffs to Central American Countries and cuss NAFTA when we had had a $1.3 billion seven year trade surplus prior to the closing of the borders. Real trade wizards!

Gooooooooo R-CULT!

~SH~

How many of your theories have been tested sh? Come on be honest now boy,you can talk paint off the wall and never say a "DAMN thing"you know that and so do the rest of us.............good luck PS Now that the border is open maybe we can get on to the real problem within the cattle industry :wink:

THose calf rollover auctions interest me. !) is a rcalf donation beyond dues a tax deductible contribution? I assume you buy the rcalf calf, give him back to be resold, and call him an inventory loss?

mj...Still, 18,000 members is a very small number of the total cattle owning population of this nation.

So is the 25,000 or 26,000 members of NCBA mj. Or did you forget your membership numbers?

Latest posts