• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Supreme court

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Farmers may have found some financial benefits, but they are also reaping the pains of glyphosate and GMO seeds. You are locked in, tied down and have to play by the rules. Yes, that is a conscious choice, but there are few choices for alternative seed or chemical these days, and if you think that is an accident just keep your head in the sand.

Michael Taylor is Deputy Commissioner of the FDA. He was formerly the Vice President of Monsanto.

One of the Supreme Court Justices ruling on the case that started this thread was formerly an attorney for Monsanto.

If that type of monopoly seems like good business sense to some of you, I guess that's your choice. To me, it's a damn shame that the government of the USA and Canada have allowed this type of monopolization to take over our food system. Monsanto and the like have spewed this propaganda that they are bringing new technology to farming that makes it better for farmers and grows more food. BS.

They brought new technology - yes. It does not make it better. It's just a different way of doing things. There are many ways to grow high quality, high yielding crops without chemical, and have been for centuries. It's called soil management, and it is the only way to grow food that truly has nutrients in it, and doesn't need chemical crisis management to keep it alive.

There are farmers growing these type of truly healthy crops and feed all over the world without Monsanto or any other new/better technology. Growing the kind of grains and oilseeds that never become stricken with fungus or devoured by pests, because they grow the plant healthy. High sugar content in the plant and a balanced pH between 6 & 7 means no fungus, and no pests.

There are also farmers growing feed/forage so nutritious that the stock eating it refuse mineral, eat fewer pounds per day and gain more weight. It all comes from high sugar, balanced pH forage, which comes from healthy soil, also with a balanced pH, that has 70+ elemental nutrients in it, instead of an annual drenching of NPK.

It can be done. It is being done. If you want to keep farming with chemical, that's your choice. If you don't, start reading, start researching. Don't complain about Monsanto on one hand and do nothing with the other. Look up companies like GSR Calcium in South Dakota, Soil Works LLC, Mid-West Agventures, Neil Kinsey Ag consultants, or www.back-to-your-roots.com in Canada and hundreds of others.

I don't like any entity as greedy as Monsanto, but I'm sick of people complaining about them if they aren't going to get off their ass and make some changes. It's like whining on coffee row about government, but not going to the polls to vote.

round up ready alfalfa is not a solution. we raise no roundup hay. we bale a lot for neighbors and market it separately. over the past 4 years, I can prove to you, that RR Alf will not kick out a high test score compared to conventional alf. I like to plant Kansas Common. half the price, and all the high power genetics as name brand seed... usually, I try to get it from a guy who uses Golden Harvest as his seed source. we are running into problems with the cross pollination of RR alf into the conventional stands.... will Monsanto come out and test my fields, then demand a tech fee even though it is Kansas Common?? right now, no...but down the road???

Do we all think that if you plant a roundup ready crop that it will be killed if any other herbicide is used?

side note on Roundup..... it is not very good for the environment...I have it from a very solid source, who is waiting to retire before blowing a whistle, but Monsanto has paid off a lot of people to get Round up approved...it is very bad for us. they know it, but greed makes them over look it

For the life of me, I can't understand how someone can Patent a living organism. When does this patent lift, or go away?

The Patent on Roundup itself has run it's course but the seed technology has not?

Monsanto Tech Fee Takes Hit in Brazilian Courts

Posted on October 11, 2012

Back in West Tennessee, I used to take my mom to Yard sales, and we often passed a place with a plywood bed board propped up as a sign, with dripping letters painted in white shoe polish warning us of black helicopters and blue berets. One World Government. Well, if I worked at Monsanto that might be just what I would want. Differing domestic rules are hampering the company in a big way these days, and the latest blow came from Brazil.

At the end of last week, the U.S. Supreme Court said it would hear the case of Monsanto versus Indiana farmer Vernon Bowman. The company alleges Bowman infringed on its seed technology patents. And shortly thereafter, a few miles south of the Hoosier State, Monsanto's tech fee took a hit in Brazilian courts.

Dispute centers on Brazil's intellectual property laws

The Brazilian state of Mato Grosso is Brazil's top soybean producer, and its farmers are big buyers of Roundup Ready Soybeans. In Mato Grosso, a judge slapped an injunction on the St. Louis-based company, preventing them from charging a tech fee any longer, as its intellectual property rights for Roundup technology expired on September 1, 2010. From that point on, the court said, the technology went public.
Brazilian patent law, say Mato Grosso producers, doesn't allow for an extension of patent rights, and patent protection for RR technology ended then.

Meanwhile, Monsanto says it's just protecting its property, which is "duly patented and protected" according to what it calls the "clear rules" of Brazil's Intellectual Property Law. The company says it can continue to charge a tech fee until 2014, under Brazilian law.

And that tech fee has added up. Given that some 80% of Mato Grosso soybeans have RR technology, the state's soybean producers have paid, according to reports, about $150 million to Monsanto at the current exchange rate. As a result, the Mato Grosso court not only suspended the tech fee, but ordered Monsanto to pay producers back several million dollars for what it ruled were unwarranted charges since 2010.

The state's Agriculture Federation issued a statement saying it recognizes the need for companies to earn back their investments in Ag technology, which is why "we wish to clarify that we are in favor of payments for intellectual property rights. We defend fair charges."

It's been calculated that Brazilian farmers pay an average of about $4.40 per acre in tech fees for the use of RR beans.

It's the latest setback for Monsanto, which has had to destroy 1.3 million bushels of Intacta RR2 seed in Brazil after the same Mato Grosso soybean association warned its members against planting the product—as China has not yet approved it.

There is little doubt the company will appeal to a higher court—just as it did when the Brazilian state of Paraná refused to let RR beans across its borders even though biotech had been approved nationally in Brazil.

With the millions at stake in the biotech game, you have to figure Monsanto might find it easier to do business, and market new technology, if there were fewer bureaucracies and local laws to deal with.

There is a reason those poor South American farmers plant roundup ready beans. I will give you a hint, it is not because Monsanto is forcing them to!

I had not planned to even enter this one until PureCountry broke in with a Canadian contribution.

All things being equal, Monsanto is not well liked in most ag circles in Canada.

Pretty much everything discussed on this thread emanates from the US of A - Monsanto has been to court in Canada many, many times.

You can pick the following apart in many ways - but it seems most - if not all of you - have not heard of:

percy schmeiser vs monsanto

You can start here if you are interested

http://www.percyschmeiser.com/

and here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Canada_Inc._v._Schmeiser

and here

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/12/25/percy-schmeiser-farmer-who-beat-monsanto.aspx

NEVER - EVER FORGET THIS!!!

Genetically engineered crops cannot be contained!

So your crop - grown beside a genetically modified crop will likely be contaminated - and that can be bad - really, really bad.

My personal family experiences have been such that I promise to punch any Monsanto person entering my property again - and show him the gate with as much force as I can muster. My brother - after his personal experience - promises to do worse.

To this day European coutries will not accept most - if not all - GMO foods from Canada - and possibly not from the US of A as well

Read on and enjoy

Best to all

BC

Havent ever used roundup, always used a generic and always full rate. Any farmground not used for sudan, alfalfa, oats, triticale, I keep on a rotation of milo, beans, wheat and have never had any resistance problems yet. And all my farming is done notill with a drill(use crop canopy to help control weeds) Its your own fault if you have these problems, use some other chemicals, 2-4D does wonders in any crop rotation for hard to kill broadleaf weeds. This issue is not only with Monsanto, there are laws with selling seed wheat too.

eatbeef said:
Havent ever used roundup, always used a generic and always full rate. Any farmground not used for sudan, alfalfa, oats, triticale, I keep on a rotation of milo, beans, wheat and have never had any resistance problems yet. And all my farming is done notill with a drill(use crop canopy to help control weeds) Its your own fault if you have these problems, use some other chemicals, 2-4D does wonders in any crop rotation for hard to kill broadleaf weeds. This issue is not only with Monsanto, there are laws with selling seed wheat too.

Your are right about using other chemicals. But you are wrong about it only being your own fault. We always used full rate plus a little extra and never used roundup by itself always a mix with another chem but that dosnt keep the neighbors kochia that he used half rate on from blowing across your field in the winter and spreading seeds the whole way. One farmer can literally effect thousands of acres that aren't his own in a very short time.

3 M L & C said:
eatbeef said:

Your are right about using other chemicals. But you are wrong about it only being your own fault. We always used full rate plus a little extra and never used roundup by itself always a mix with another chem but that dosnt keep the neighbors kochia that he used half rate on from blowing across your field in the winter and spreading seeds the whole way. One farmer can literally effect thousands of acres that aren't his own in a very short time.
EXACTLY !! no matter how hard you work at it, if you border a lazy sloppy farmer, you will have serious trouble.

jigs said:
3 M L & C said:
eatbeef said:

EXACTLY !! no matter how hard you work at it, if you border a lazy sloppy farmer, you will have serious trouble.

Everyone talks about chemical

How about if your field of non GMO rape seed is pollinated by GMO rape seed from next door. Under the laws in Canada - and possibly in the US of A - it may no longer be your crop.

Sound hard to believe?

Anyone actually go to the URLs I provided?

GMO contamination is the biggest problem out there.

Your field now has a patented seed in it - and yes - Monsanto does drive around and fly around to test this stuff. Do not get caught with it if you do not have a contract. Testing can be done without trespassing. When you sell it they can simply obtain a sample from your buyer.

If your product contains GMO seed through a neighbours pollination - and that GMO is patented - you may very well have NO right to it.

Be wary of giant corporations with bottomless legal funds. It cost Percy around $400K to fight his battle.

Truth can be stranger than fiction

BC

Broke Cowboy said:
jigs said:
3 M L & C said:

Everyone talks about chemical

How about if your field of non GMO rape seed is polinated by GMO rape seed from next door. Under the laws in Canada - and possibly in the US of A - it may no longer be your crop.

Sound hard to believe?

Anyone actually go to the URLs I provided?

GMO contamination is the biggest problem out there.

That is because the seed is patented and you have NO right to it.

Truth can be stranger than fiction

BC

I kinda remember hearing about that, when I was running the fertilizer/chemical sprayer. Both Rape and Canola were part of the cross pollination of GMOs, weren't they?

jigs said:
3 M L & C said:
eatbeef said:

oughta try farming down wind from someone who is "ORGANIC"

hayguy said:
jigs said:
3 M L & C said:

oughta try farming down wind from someone who is "ORGANIC"

Yeah the thistles are bigger on an organic farm.There's one about 20 miles southwest of here big sign along the road bigger thistles.

I myself like the roundup technology but I mix it up some years we use conventional seed others we use RR variety's figured it out one time years ago I could have conventional seed given to me and bought the RR for $85 a bag and in the end the RR was still less cost per acre just due to the economics of the spraying and the excellent weed control.

If someone want's to get away from any seed companys you can buy open pollinated seed and raise your own seed then just culivate problem solved. www.openpollinated.com/

Latest posts