• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

SW the results from one day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MsSage

Reaction score
I said I woudl get back to you about what happened with showing the kids the cartoon.
Well I wanted to find out what they did know before I showed the cartoon.....hmmmm I asked how many thinking killing cows is bad? WOW everyone had comments. My favorite one was if you kill cows then we wont have milk. I asked how many LOVE a steak? how many eat hamburgers? they all were yummmmmmm yes
I explained thats where they came from and by the end of classthey saw the difference between walking up to an animal and killing it and breeding one for the beef. Yes I explained the difference between Dairy and beef cattle. No it was too much to explain that old dairy end up the same place. I will handle that one later. Too much information only confuses them.
Yes it was only ONE class ONE day but its a start. I knew I had a long road ahead of me. These kids have NO clue.

In my opinion we need a lot of folks talkin' to school kids to defend the fact that beef is good, and good for us, and it is plumb natural to eat beef,
and animals are here for our use.
I don't think farm and ranch kids are liable to fall for the other side's rhetoric but the city kids are extremely vulernable.

Unfortunately they have NO clue as to where the food comes from so they dont know about farmers raising cattle, untill I told them. I am always shocked at what they dont know. Its more than one kid.....have to do animals and where food comes from with all grade levels so thats over 630 and most of them believe what I have to tell them. But you have to hear something 3 times before it gets into long term memory. and you have to use it to become your own. so now on to getting them to use it.
I am sure that most of the kids have a good view of farmers since
they go every other year to one of the farms around Charlotte. They light up when they talk about when they went to the lazy 5 or Collins farm.

I was raised on a farm next to a major Dairy so I saw both cattle and horses. So farming and ranching are part of me. I may not be involved hands on with it now but its still in my soul. That is why I am trying to pass on the truth.

MsSage,
You know you have my help in any form you wish. We just need more people like you. I am always amazed too at what these kids don't know, even when we have gone into schools in Montana. I will never forget when first in Providerpals going into a school in DC. The hall was covered with kids art, all of it was save the whales and hug the bunnies stuff. Bruce Vincent said to me "When we leave those pictures will be replaced with cows, loggers and miners because these kids will know the truth about us and they will put a face, yours, to the truth." I was skeptical, but before we left that school all of the art work in the halls was about cows, loggers and miners. That was the first time I have ever been asked for an autograph and had kids wanting to get their picture taken with me. Hanta Yo just called as I was typing this and she is thrilled and already has plans for your kids. Thanks.

MsSage,

One of things CattleWomen do is go into the classrooms and teach the kids about how ranchers are good "environmentalists", that the hamburger the kids eat and the milk they drink does NOT come from the store. We try to explain how the cow does a much better job digesting grass and other items we don't eat and convert it to the best protein in the world (IMHO) - beef. I am not surprised anymore that kids in rural schools are themselves several generations off the ranch and don't really know where their food comes from. It is our job to get the word out...kids are like sponges and they are OUR FUTURE and they need to be informed about Agriculture in a positive way.

I can go on and on about this soapbox but I'll quit. You need any help, you got it - just let me know.

Hanta Yo

Our County 4H Started a Free Petting Zoo and the kids ran it - - it was a THE BIG HIT of the fair - - the 4Hers and their Parents not only showed the Public/Kids where milk comes from but 4H's taught them and let them milk goats.

I wanted to also have Free bite size Hamburgers and Hot Dogs to Help make the connection. BUT...

I cut a slot in the lid of a Milk Can for Donations - - Our FREE Petting Zoo would get $800 to $1200 per day Donations.

The Cattlewomen were going to help us with the cost of food but the Commersial Food sellers had it stopped.

The FFA started giving tours of the School Farm - The animals - the Row Crops and the Orchards. Then ended with a Hamburger BBQ with Salad - Dried Furit and a where it came from to BUSS LOADS of School Kids from our and other school districts. It is a Big Hit!

The Houston Livestock Show has some really good, educational displays, One starts out with a milk cow and her calf in a stall, (bordon milk funds it) as you walk down the exhibit, next you come to a milking stall, milk seperator, butter manufacturing, so on until you reach the end, where you can have a glass of milk. They do the same with chickens, and egg production....from baby chicks to grown hens, to the eggs and egg products. They have free stuff they give the kids, and also a contest sort of thing, where the kids get a larger prize at the end of goin thru all of the exhibits.
Our local Ice Cream Factory, Blue Bell, has tours, for school kids as well as anyone else that wants to go thru.

Thanks for the ideas BUT yall I am in the city. BIG city. we dont have ag classes,we no longer have a 4H program for livestock. We have a State fair the end of June up in Raliegh. The farms we have close to us are "school" farms ....they have animals for the kids to come see. Not a real working farm. There are some on the outskirts of Mecklenburg county and surronding counties but finding them is hard.
If yall know the names of ag agents or teachers give them my work email PLEASE I need all the info I can get . As you can see I dont have this info right at my finger tips. That is why I came to yall.
THANK YOU
[email protected].
Yes I know I gave my real name and other info BUT really I am NOT hard to find. plus our school has an awsome system if you start to get harrassed :wink:

Latest posts