• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sweetclover Hay

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redheeler

Reaction score
Got a question for you all, Recently we were offered a 60 40 deal with a guy I know to put up some hay on his place since he has no equipment and only three cows, (he is a doctor with some land but no livestock to speak of) He has about 90 acres of hayfield that mostly has gone back to native grass besides about 7 acres of a worn out sanfoin patch. What troubles me is the 80 or so acres of native stuff, this being a wet year it has come in almost solid sweet clover. I know years ago they used to plant it and feed it to the work horses but it has been decades since anybody in my area intentionaly planted it and I am wary of it having heard all the stories of people dehorning steers years ago and having them bleed to death and other such things. Has anybody here had much experience with this stuff as a haycrop ? I know it still is planted in the Dakotas and Nebraska but it is varieties with low coumarin. the stuff around here has to be decended from the old varieties that could really make them bleed if fed too much, besides this guy is 40 miles from us I just dont know if it is worth it. I would like to hear anybodys experience with it good or bad ,particularly anybody with experience with the older varietys. :???:

We have a lot of sweet clover this year too. We don't like it.
But, the only problem I know of is if it is feed too close to calving.
You don't want to do that, of course. But other than it being hard
to put up because it won't dry very well, and it's best not to
let it get too rank, I haven't heard of any problems with it.

Good luck!

I just put up about 100 acres of sweet clover. I ran a test on it and the protien ran 16.8 and the RFV was 135. Thats going to vary on how you get it put up mine I manged to get most of it up with out any rain on it but the stuff that did get rained on baled up and looks the same as the hay with no rain. Now I never had any problem with it drying down but it did take about a week and a half to two weeks to dry down with 85-90 degree days. I feed some clover last year to my cows but it was in some CRP grass and never had a problem with it. I have read that you don't want to feed it straight to cows that are calving but if you mix it with something else you wont have any problem. I think you will be alright with feeding it just need to be smart with it. Good luck

Latest posts