• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tagging and weighing Show Steers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of stockshows IF the reason for said show is to raise good kids and worry about the ribbons and trophys a lot further down the list. We had a blast last year as both our kids had lambs and did really well. This year Little H has decided to show a steer. She will be 10 and i wondered if it was too soon but she has done great. We raised her calf and he and her get along swell. :D
DSC00784.jpg

She calls him "streaker boy" as he was always streaking around as calf. He weighed 1055 on Saturday.
DSC00779.jpg

My brother's son and his red angus calf that weighed 1170.
DSC00780.jpg

Brother's daughter and her calf that weighed 935
DSC00781.jpg

Getting some pretty blue bling in his ear! (That's what the kids call an ear tag) :lol:
DSC00783.jpg

A neighbor kid tagging his steer.
DSC00785.jpg

Same kid with his wild steer that really needs a lot of work to gentle down! :lol: :lol: RJ won a belt buckle last year in the fitting and showing contest.
DSC00782.jpg

This calf escaped the night we weaned them. We knew he was gonna be Little H's calf and i went out after dark to check on the weaned calves and he was GONE! :shock: I spent 4 hours driving around with a spot light and couldnt find him. The next day i cut tracks but lost them when he hit the paved road. I spent all dang day checking neighbors and even started back up the valley toward where his cow was at 20 miles away. About 5 in the evening a friend called and said he'd found him 10 miles west walking a fence. I took a horse out and got him loaded in the trailer and home. It's always an adventure! :D
DSC00777.jpg

Our NEW stock trailer!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D It's a new to us 2002 Sooner 20' aluminum. We gave $4500 for it. I guess we are big time now! :wink: :D
DSC00776.jpg

Big Muddy rancher said:
The steers look GREAT :!: :D

Was that weight with or without them leaning on the scale? :wink: :lol: :lol:

You beat me to it! :lol:

That ol' mossyhorn in the white shirt looks to have wintered about like me, maybe he was on the scale too. :p

Those steers weighed up well. When is the show H? Little H's steer looks like he could go to 1450 if you've got another 75+ days.

I did winter way too well. Nothing some fencing and warm days shouldn't sluff off. :D I am pretty nervous about Little H's steer. The show isn't til August 3rd and 4th so he has 130 days yet. Seems like they slow down a little with hot weather but we are watching his ration real close so he isn't over finished. I think we can have him finished nicley, but if the judge doesnt like 1400+ calves we might be cooked. But we aren't raising the steer, we are raising a pretty good little cattlewoman and she has learned and knows a bunch about stock and handling calves and the work it takes to get the job done. I couldn't be prouder of my Girl! :D Whatever happens at the show is simply a bonus. :D

leanin' H said:
I did winter way too well. Nothing some fencing and warm days shouldn't sluff off. :D I am pretty nervous about Little H's steer. The show isn't til August 3rd and 4th so he has 130 days yet. Seems like they slow down a little with hot weather but we are watching his ration real close so he isn't over finished. I think we can have him finished nicley, but if the judge doesnt like 1400+ calves we might be cooked. But we aren't raising the steer, we are raising a pretty good little cattlewoman and she has learned and knows a bunch about stock and handling calves and the work it takes to get the job done. I couldn't be prouder of my Girl! :D Whatever happens at the show is simply a bonus. :D

That is a great attitude, H. I commend you for it.
The calf looks good and you are really going to like that trailer.

you are sure lucky that Little H got her looks from her mother. :wink:
all looks good, even the trailer.(even tho it's not a Wilson :p )

I'm enjoying your pictures you've posted lately! Looks like a good life! I got my certification in the mail the other day that states I am the world's smallest ranch...so???.... :D I seen a post the other day that said they are small....and they had twice as many cows as me :D

I love your attitude about showing. Just wish there were more people like you. I always thought fat critter shows, should be done after the critters had a bath, with them all slicked DOWN, so you can see exactly how the calf is made.
Sounds to me like you did pretty good on the new trailer too, but I think we got you beat on that. Last week we got a 16' open top bumper pull, for the price of the fuel to go get it. :lol:

Latest posts