• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

tailgates for squeeze chute

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BlackCattleRancher

Reaction score
Are there any alternatives to the traditional sliders and dropgates for squeeze chutes. I want to put a scale behind my squeeze chute and don't like the drop gates because they have a foot gap under them that the cow in waiting has to see if she can shove her head under and a slider would be the ticket, but don't want the head knocker rail sticking out the side 36". Any other ideas?

WVGenetics said:
Formost makes a scissor action gate that can be operated from the head gate and works pretty well.

Ya might want to train the helpers not to get to close as they may get an uppercut they aren't expecting.

Thorson's theory was that if it was stout enuf to stand up, it was too heavy to pull all day. And latches to keep next cow from lifting it tend to malfunction.

Thorson's got a split gate, opens to both sides, bottem is about 1' off the ground. Spring loaded when open, you can walk a cow in from behind and flip it shut real easy.

We got a thorsen scale cage behind squeese on old setup--very stout with split gates both ends. I thought it would slow things down, but it speeded them up--always got a cow 'stored' there.

Pearson has a slider that you can open one handed. I like it much better than an overhead gate. Cattle can't get their head under it and lift it up.

littlejoe said:
Thorson's theory was that if it was stout enuf to stand up, it was too heavy to pull all day. And latches to keep next cow from lifting it tend to malfunction.

Thorson's got a split gate, opens to both sides, bottem is about 1' off the ground. Spring loaded when open, you can walk a cow in from behind and flip it shut real easy.

We got a thorsen scale cage behind squeese on old setup--very stout with split gates both ends. I thought it would slow things down, but it speeded them up--always got a cow 'stored' there.

I agree that the Thorsen has about the best tail gate on any manual chute I've used. They are no longer in buiness but the gate is easy to build.

Tuff Equipment in Canada (Real Tuff in US) has a slick bi-fold door, similar to that of Stampede Steel. It's the only way to go, especially if your short-staffed, or like me, a one-person operation.

Drop gates, I call them guillotine gates, are among the worst things ever invented. Nothing worse than having it drop on your head or neck while trying to do something at the back end.

Aaron said:
Tuff Equipment in Canada (Real Tuff in US) has a slick bi-fold door, similar to that of Stampede Steel. It's the only way to go, especially if your short-staffed, or like me, a one-person operation.

Drop gates, I call them guillotine gates, are among the worst things ever invented. Nothing worse than having it drop on your head or neck while trying to do something at the back end.

Real-Tuf in the USA can be found in Mobridge, SD. There might
be other places, but that is the dealership we use. Jerry, the'
manager is great to deal with.

I would just add onto the gate, I had , fill up the space with a panel so they could get there head under

We always have a cow in "waiting" as well. The sliding gate behind her is actually one we made many years ago and is hanging on rollers. Slides with no effort at all. At the front of the cow is just a swinging door that when shut in front of the cow allows the vet to step in behind the cow in the chute. When the vet finishes in the chute he swings the door so it latches to the back of the chute and the cow that was waiting steps ahead into the chute. Year in and year out this old mostly home made system puts through over 100 head per hour at preg testing. If you wanted to weigh up I guess the place to put the scale would be under the cow that is waiting.

Priefert has a nice design with there design its like a head gate with out the friction locks . it is actually part of the squeeze chute but a guy could rig one up on there exsisting chute. it is a hell of alot better then those scissor gates with a cow crawling over the top of you when your pregn.
:wink:

Latest posts