• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

taking in cows year round

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I'm not sure of "going rates", but what does 50% for cow maintaince, 25% for owning the cow, and 25% for labor sound like? Bounce it around.........

Just an observation, if you don't have any bullsh!t on your place this year your cow's won't have any calves next year.... :lol: :roll: :lol:

Up here a fellow used to put cows out with people for $150/cow/year. You had to replace 10%/ yr but the culls were yours to do what you wanted and all the calves were yours to do with what you wanted. Except the replacements.

It did give the person a chance to grow their own herd because some of the culls would still be functioning cows and you could retain ownership of the calves. The mandatory replacement ensured the herd stayed youthful.

My Dad had some cows out on a 60/40 share and he had to put in replacements and ended up with a herd of old cows. Everybody seems to think 40% is to high but remember your initial investment or principal has diminished by probably over 50%.

Bruce said:
Just an observation, if you don't have any bullsh!t on your place this year your cow's won't have any calves next year.... :lol: :roll: :lol:

good point...what if we AI everything? :wink:

Justin said:
just go buy the cows and skip all the bullsh!t.

Perhaps I'm out of my lane, but not every start-up has the coin to just go out and purchase a herd of momma cows.

One could go in debt to do so, but my Bible says not to do that.

Just a thought.

bart. †

bverellen said:
Justin said:
just go buy the cows and skip all the bullsh!t.

Perhaps I'm out of my lane, but not every start-up has the coin to just go out and purchase a herd of momma cows.

One could go in debt to do so, but my Bible says not to do that.

Just a thought.

bart. †

point taken :tiphat:

I looked into some last year from a guy in S.D. If I remember correctly it was $183 per cow per year with you paying the trucking to get them they paid to haul the cows away. 1 year lease and they were all 1st calf heifers did'nt seam like a very profitable deal to me.Also was goin to buy a hundred short term cows out of Western SD price would have been $55,000 delivered got cold feet and did'nt do it. Knowing prices turned around so quickly I'd have done it for sure.Plan was to sell all the cows and calves in september. Next time cows tank that bad I'm going thru with my plans.

I know a guy who has made good money buying older bred cows out of the NE sandhills and then running them on irrigated grass. Some of those pound cows can go a couple of more years if he doesn't like cow prices. It is one enterprise where you can sometimes add weight, price per pound, and a calf for whatever it costs to run a cow.

A little story I heard years ago was about an outfit that had a registered cow herd, a large farming operation and was loosing money hand over fist to the point the bank was quitting them. As a last ditch effort they brought in some sort of advisor who went over their books and met with them and the bank. He convinced all parties to go along with a plan that had them disperse the registered cows, sell most of the farm equipment and get rid of hired help. They had order buyers buying ST cows that ran on everything- wheat, hay meadows, etc. They sold everything in the fall and made money for the first time in years.

Good Question. As a reference point we have a couple of people around here paying $40 per pair per month for summer pasture. More around $30 tho.

We get $1.16/head/day for 150 days, then drop it to $.58/head/day for another 15 days, if we have extra grass, and if the calves went home at 6 months of age. I would think that you would have to cover your hay expenses, plus put some "yardage" on them to cover your feeding, upkeep on your facilities, and time. I would think somewhere in the area of a dollar to $1.10/day would be close. Of course you should figure your time calving in there too.

Latest posts