• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tam- Could this be True???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Guest
This is a post I absconded off Agri-ville that was posted by grassfarmer...
Tam- Could this be true?-- that Japan has said on many occassions they would reestablish trade for beef if it were tested :???: :?

You maybe could have been exporting for years if you'd have worried more about who was guarding your back door and less about how to blame everything that happened in Canada for the last century on R-CALF :wink: ...
______________________________________________

posted Jul 29, 2005 12:11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just reading the latest BIG-C newsletter which contains an interesting revelation which is perhaps very relevant to our discussion on beef industry producer groups.
I quote " As members of Canada Beef Export Federation we recently received a letter from Ted Haney, CBEF president which states: Japans's former Minister of Agriculture (Kamei)has been on record many times stating that Canada or the USA could test cattle for Bse as a way of reestablishing trade with Japan. This assumed policy position has not been widely reported in either Canadian or American press, primarily as the option has not been supported by industry or Government"

So all the speeches given by ABP/CCA and Government officials disparaging BIG-Cs plans because no-one had actually confirmed there were customers that would buy BSE tested beef were blatant lies.
This story amazes me when you think it through - CBEF, funded by Canandian cattle producers levy money through ABP and CCA is deciding what information to release, thereby misleading producers, and also deciding what policies to follow based on what "industry and Government" want. For "industry" read the "packing industry". I thought the aim of CBEF was to increase exports of beef overseas and thereby presumably improve returns for Canadian producers through increased demand for our beef?
If this is the smoking gun that proves CBEF in fact works for the US packers and against Canadian beef producers maybe it is time Haney was forced to resign and CBEF were cut free of their (our)levy funding.
Oh, but I forgot, even if this information was given to every producer in the country on a plate would 3% make a fuss or protest? maybe 5%? (up there with the ABP "majority") - I doubt it, as usual producers are just to damn apathetic to do anything about their future. I feel sorry for the guys involved with BIG-C and the NFU - so much work and time put in on a thankless task.
 

redriver

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
Location
se mb
That's no big secret in Canada. Just about every rancher in my area knows about Japan's willingness to resume imports, but we also know that it is the federal government that is standing in the way, and it is they who are in the back pockets of the US packers. Just like it is in the US.
So, no, all of our problems are not the fault of R-calf, but they sure don't help the situation with their lies and fear-mongering.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Note for the same email
A MAFF official though clearly said that there was no leeway for Japan to make a concession in the talks. He then said "We are fully aware of reports of the industry's compromise plan involving the private sector. The Government cannot accept such a plan.
It is 100% testing for Japan or nothing. And as I said before Canada does not have the capabilities to 100% test as we don't have the facilities to do it. Yes we can maybe build more but that is not going to happen over night just like the slaughter capacity increase isn't happening over night. Creekstone had a deal but that deal hinged on JAPAN saying yes too and they said they could not go along with the plan. Have you ever asked the USDA just how many animals they can test in a day.compared to the number that is slaughtered. It has been said Canada can only test in the hundreds but we slaughter thousands.
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Tam said:
Note for the same email
A MAFF official though clearly said that there was no leeway for Japan to make a concession in the talks. He then said "We are fully aware of reports of the industry's compromise plan involving the private sector. The Government cannot accept such a plan.
It is 100% testing for Japan or nothing. And as I said before Canada does not have the capabilities to 100% test as we don't have the facilities to do it. Yes we can maybe build more but that is not going to happen over night just like the slaughter capacity increase isn't happening over night. Creekstone had a deal but that deal hinged on JAPAN saying yes too and they said they could not go along with the plan. Have you ever asked the USDA just how many animals they can test in a day.compared to the number that is slaughtered. It has been said Canada can only test in the hundreds but we slaughter thousands.

You choose to believe an unnamed MAFF official over Kamei? Also, what "compromise" was he talking about? Creekstone wasn't compromising, they were going to give the Japanese what they wanted.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Sandhusker said:
Tam said:
Note for the same email
A MAFF official though clearly said that there was no leeway for Japan to make a concession in the talks. He then said "We are fully aware of reports of the industry's compromise plan involving the private sector. The Government cannot accept such a plan.
It is 100% testing for Japan or nothing. And as I said before Canada does not have the capabilities to 100% test as we don't have the facilities to do it. Yes we can maybe build more but that is not going to happen over night just like the slaughter capacity increase isn't happening over night. Creekstone had a deal but that deal hinged on JAPAN saying yes too and they said they could not go along with the plan. Have you ever asked the USDA just how many animals they can test in a day.compared to the number that is slaughtered. It has been said Canada can only test in the hundreds but we slaughter thousands.

You choose to believe an unnamed MAFF official over Kamei? Also, what "compromise" was he talking about? Creekstone wasn't compromising, they were going to give the Japanese what they wanted.


more from the quote from the email
An official of the Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Ministry's (MAFF) Consumption and Safety Bureau who investigated related facilities in the US and Canada in Mid Jan. made this bullish remark: "We cannot back down from our demand that the US should test all cattle and remove specified risky parts for the sake of food safety, as the Minister (Yoshiyuki Kamei) has persistently said. Of the 80 cows bred on the same ranch as the one that was infected with BSE, only 28 cows have so far been located." But many in the Restaurant industry are concerned that the BSE talks with the U.S. may be prolonged. The industry has already come up with its own proposal to allow private entities to test Japan-bound cattle to achieve the US government's quarantee of safety. A MAFF official though clearly said that there was no leeway for Japan to make a concession in the talks. He then said "We are fully aware of reports of the industry's compromise plan involving the private sector. The Government cannot accept such a plan. ...

I guess you have to ask the Japanese what they thought the compromise was but what Creekstone was giving is what the RESTAURANT INDUSTRY wanted not the JAPANESE GOVERNMENT and by this the Restaurant industry didn't get the OK from their government to make any deals with Creekstone or anyone else as far as that goes.

And you never answer my question how many cattle can the USDA test in a day compared to what the US slaughter industry can process?
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
Tam, "And you never answer my question how many cattle can the USDA test in a day compared to what the US slaughter industry can process?"

I don't know.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Sandhusker said:
Tam, "And you never answer my question how many cattle can the USDA test in a day compared to what the US slaughter industry can process?"

I don't know.

Creekstone was going to use their own facilities and employees to do the testing for them--But USDA said they didn't have the "expertise" to handle it :???: :lol: :lol: Thats still the best bureaucrat comment I've heard in years......

Sorry Sandhusker- but I can't help breaking out laughing whenever I think about this- now that USDA's snafus are revealed... I should be crying at the waste of my tax dollars going to fund this joke outfit- but they do give me a daily laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Yeh, and I'm sure you hypocrites would have just been clammering to allow private companies to test drugs as opposed to the FDA wouldn't you?

OH BUT THAT'S DIFFERENT ISN'T IT?

GOSH, WOULDN'T WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO STAND IN THE WAY OF FREE ENTERPRISE.



~SH~
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
~SH~ said:
Yeh, and I'm sure you hypocrites would have just been clammering to allow private companies to test drugs as opposed to the FDA wouldn't you?

OH BUT THAT'S DIFFERENT ISN'T IT?

GOSH, WOULDN'T WANT THE GOVERNMENT TO STAND IN THE WAY OF FREE ENTERPRISE.
~SH~
Private companies already test drugs. Have been for some time.
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
QUOTE :MIKE,Private companies already test drugs. Have been for some time.
WHOA TAM,Private companies manufacture drugs .Higher ups in government don't want anybody messing with their TURF,an besides ,what happens when private enterprise helps find BSE animals on either side of the border???????
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Mike: "Private companies already test drugs. Have been for some time."


Private companies may test drugs but they are not sold unless the FDA approves them and runs their own tests.

Why should BSE testing be considered any different?


~SH~
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
Private companies may test drugs but they are not sold unless the FDA approves them and runs their own tests.

Why should BSE testing be considered any different?


~SH~Quote

Since when does a TEST ,any TEST ,is considered a drug??? Its sold unless the FDA approves them Drugs.Does Klenex have to have approval to check for runnie NOSES as they sell tissues that can test for runnie noses??Same with BSE urine TESTS.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Both BSE testing and drug testing involve HUMAN SAFETY, Kleenex doesn't.

I shouldn't need to explain that to you!



~SH~
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Porker,

Who said a test is a drug? That doesn't even make sense!


Both BSE testing and drug testing involve human safety.

That is a fact!

Quite different than OTHER TESTS!


~SH~
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
Your comment implied SH,Private companies may test drugs but they are not sold unless the FDA approves them and runs their own tests.

Why should BSE testing be considered any different?


~SH~Quote
Were Talking USDA, SH.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
PORKER said:
QUOTE :MIKE,Private companies already test drugs. Have been for some time.
WHOA TAM,Private companies manufacture drugs .Higher ups in government don't want anybody messing with their TURF,an besides ,what happens when private enterprise helps find BSE animals on either side of the border???????

Porker do you often swing out at someone when they are not even in the same topic of conversation All I said was Creekstone may have had an agreement with the Japanese Restaurant industry but the Restaurant industry didn't have the OK of the Japanese Government to be making such a deal. So just what does that have to do with Private companies manufacture drugs :roll:
 

PORKER

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
4,170
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan-Florida
I quote " As members of Canada Beef Export Federation we recently received a letter from Ted Haney, CBEF president which states: Japans's former Minister of Agriculture (Kamei)has been on record many times stating that Canada or the USA could test cattle for Bse as a way of reestablishing trade with Japan.

Do you knew more about this statement Tam ? The Restaurant industry didn't have the OK of the Japanese Government to be making such a deal.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
PORKER said:
I quote " As members of Canada Beef Export Federation we recently received a letter from Ted Haney, CBEF president which states: Japans's former Minister of Agriculture (Kamei)has been on record many times stating that Canada or the USA could test cattle for Bse as a way of reestablishing trade with Japan.

Do you knew more about this statement Tam ? The Restaurant industry didn't have the OK of the Japanese Government to be making such a deal.
Canada and the USA could test but where does it say private industries in those countries could, it doesn't and that is where the quote

"WE are fully aware of reports of the industry's compromise plan involving the private sector. The Government cannot accept such a plan.
comes into play. And what does this have to do with Private companies manufacture drugs?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
PORKER: "Why should BSE testing be considered any different?"

BSE testing wasn't handled any different. The USDA did not agree with deceiving Japanese consumers by suggesting that "BSE TESTED" means "BSE FREE".


~SH~
 

Latest posts

Top