• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Teachers Caught Cheating

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Steve said:
Twister Frost asked if these were merit pay states and you stated they were not. While merit pay may be a great idea, "merit pay" systems in the above examples lead to morality getting trumped by greed or more broadly, self interests.

January 20, 2011 The merit-pay plan is part of the $400 million Race to the Top federal grant awarded last summer to Georgia and applies next year to the 26 participating districts. The state's application for the grant indicates the merit-pay system will be made available statewide within five years.
Twenty-three local school districts have signed on to partner with the state in implementing Georgia's Race to the Top plan. These districts, which make up 41 percent of public school students in Georgia, include: Atlanta, Ben Hill, Bibb, Burke, Carrollton, Chatham, Cherokee, Clayton, DeKalb, Dougherty, Gainesville, Gwinnett, Hall, Henry, Jones, Meriwether, Muscogee, Rabun, Richmond, Rockdale, Spalding, Valdosta and White.

Less enthusiasm among teachers for merit pay plan

if merit pay was an incentive.. one would think, they would want to show results "after" it was implemented. :?

That's good info Steve. Sheds some valuable light on the subject.

We shouldn't put unrealistic expectations on teachers but they shouldn't hide the facts by changing standardized test scores. We certainly shouldn't allow the self interests of Franklin Raines, GM stockholders, or teachers to trump morality. I think we can all look at those cases and say what they did was morally wrong. The question is whether or not we are allowing these morally wrong things to take place in each of these incidents or do we foster an atmosphere where they are allowed to thrive at such high levels.? Should we accept any of this? I of course do not think we should.

for greed to have a factor, one must be able to see results not attainable by merit.. or be unwilling to give the effort needed to attain the reward..

in the cases you so often show.. the pay-off was beyond what they could have attained, and yet so far above the pay scale of a teacher it is beyond comparable.

Teaching like many public servant jobs are not taken for greed... if a person takes a job for a paycheck it might be construed as greed... but is it really greed or laziness.. cause if it is for greed. you got one lazy person who can't rise to any level of competence.. :roll:

District attorneys weigh indictments in APS cheating case (Atlanta Public Schools)
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution | July 9, 2011 | Bill Rankin

The Atlanta schools cheating case is now in the hands of three local district attorneys, who must decide whether the scandal is also criminal.

District attorneys in Fulton, DeKalb and Douglas counties said they are reviewing the voluminous report by state investigators and will decide whether to seek indictments.

Douglas County DA David McDade said Friday he expects it will take prosecutors a considerable amount of time to reach decisions. He noted that the GBI's investigative file in the case amasses 120 volumes.

As prosecutors consider their options, scores of current and former APS educators and administrators, some at the highest levels of the system, are left wondering whether police officers will knock on their doors.

"I'm sure there are a lot of people who have great concern right now," said Ron Carlson, a University of Georgia criminal law professor. "Some of the allegations in this report are gravely serious."

Among the potential charges: giving false statements to investigators or altering public documents, which are felonies with penalties of up to 10 years in prison. School officials who submitted test scores they knew to be false also face possible felony charges and up to five years in prison.

Anyone who destroyed documents or instructed subordinates not to cooperate could be charged with obstruction of justice, a misdemeanor.

The report says 178 educators, including 38 principals, participated in cheating on standardized tests. It also accuses top administrators of destroying or altering complaints about misconduct and trying to hinder the investigation.
[/quote]

okfarmer, there was not any info in the original post about teacher unions, I think Mike and I brought that in, in our threads. Actually, the NEA has come out not in favor of merit pay, even though President Obama and Secretary of Ed Arne Duncan are in favor; thus, the Race to the Top funds. I understood what Tex was saying, and I didn't think for a second he was fighting the fight for teachers' unions or trying to change the subject. As a teacher who belongs to the union, I think some people need to consider one thing: When you go to your insurance man, do you just let him sell you all the policies he thinks will serve you, or do you listen and pick the ones that fit what you need? Same goes with union membership, some of the idealogy and bs go against every grain of my being (and for that, I state my position---as I do have a voice since I pay for it). I like my million-dollar insurance (that I could not afford on my own), I like my state membership (even though I do not always agree with their stances (just like any group of 2,000--not 100% agreement), and I like my local (not an inclusive members-only group) because we do what is best for our school, our students, and our stakeholders. I understand the bashing the evil monster thing, but at some point, does it not just come back to personal responsibility---these teachers, principals, and administrators did this---I didn't see anywhere where the union was telling them to be dishonest. I do not doubt that many of these teachers will end up being members of their local, state, and national unions and for that, they will have an attorney provided to them. Best thing to come out of it---their students and parents know they are liars and cheaters, so all respect is lost and I doubt they will ever feel esteem and honor again (doesn't keep me from hoping that criminal charges will succeed and be leveled).

Twister Frost,

Didn't say anything one way or the other about the NEA, yet. I was making a statement about how this was trying to get sidetracked into a debate about wealth redistribution and unions.

I am the only individual in my direct family that is not a Teacher (wife, siblings, parent's, ALL are and even most of my aunt's, many uncles, and my grandmother) So I'm pretty familiar with the education systems as it is often the topic of discussion at home and family gatherings.

In regards to the discussion, my wife has been pressured by administration to pass kids that should not be passed, because it places heat on the administration to have so many kids failing (often because they are lazy). Instead of setting standards for passing and sticking with them, we set standards for the number of kids to pass and then try to manipulate the system to work. If the kid is not showing up and not trying, then why should they pass?

Look at what has changed in society- personal responsibility issue with kids and with their parents. Parent's don't hold themselves or their kids responsible these days. They don't value education. They want a diploma, but don't value what it takes to achieve it.

My wife would tell the administration, they could do what they want. But on the line next to her signature, it would read "Failed".

Not saying the above in defense of the wrong doing, by any stretch of the imagination. Some teachers should not be in the class room period, and with unemployment what it is, now would be a good time to cull the herd.

Off topic, I think states and local governments should fund education well (but locally) and the funds should be spent wisely (this is rarely the case). NEA is worthless and your dues are supporting gay rights and the liberal agenda with chump change doing anything for children. Why should you be forced to pay money into unions at the state or federal level and support ideals you don't agree with? It is absolutely wrong.

You don't need a union to obtain insurance, most positions with degrees and a lot of non-degree positions have benefits that include insurance. I purchased insurance for my employees (most don't have degrees) under a group policy and we don't even have a union.

And Tex, you can't legislate morals, call me what you will. I believe people get what they deserve, whether we see it or not.

There is a theory that when you place varying sizes of marbles in a container and shake it, they always separate out by size. Kind of like people. They will shake out. People need only be given an opportunity, and those that will succeed will succeed. Those that will fail, will fail. It is not my job to press the reset button all the time and for you neither. My moral compass, does tell me that I should personally do what I can to take care of those that cannot take care of themselves (widowed, orphaned, and physically/mentally handicapped).

okfarmer said:
Off topic, I think states and local governments should fund education well (but locally) and the funds should be spent wisely (this is rarely the case). NEA is worthless and your dues are supporting gay rights and the liberal agenda with chump change doing anything for children. Why should you be forced to pay money into unions at the state or federal level and support ideals you don't agree with? It is absolutely wrong.

You don't need a union to obtain insurance, most positions with degrees and a lot of non-degree positions have benefits that include insurance. I purchased insurance for my employees (most don't have degrees) under a group policy and we don't even have a union.

Pretty sure we are talking about two different insurances, I am talking about malpractice/professional liability insurance. Having been involved with the NEA for close to twenty years, you are right about some of their agendas, but you are wrong when you state that they do "chump change" for children---75% of the programs must include children (the children very well could be gay or liberal, I do not know). I may not agree with all that the NEA does, but I am not forced to pay and since this has come up so many times in this forum, it needs to be noted that belonging to the NEA is not mandatory. As I said before, I also have a voice, and that can do a lot to make some see that not everyone agrees with what they are doing. I figure for less than two hundred dollars a year, I have a million dollar umbrella liability insurance. Since we both agree on what some kids are like today, I would not be without some sort of liability. Those kids who fail (and some of their parents) have no problem telling and fabricating lies if it will further their agenda.

okfarmer said:
Twister Frost,

Didn't say anything one way or the other about the NEA, yet. I was making a statement about how this was trying to get sidetracked into a debate about wealth redistribution and unions.

I am the only individual in my direct family that is not a Teacher (wife, siblings, parent's, ALL are and even most of my aunt's, many uncles, and my grandmother) So I'm pretty familiar with the education systems as it is often the topic of discussion at home and family gatherings.

In regards to the discussion, my wife has been pressured by administration to pass kids that should not be passed, because it places heat on the administration to have so many kids failing (often because they are lazy). This is often the pressure of a parent. Instead of setting standards for passing and sticking with them, some school systems set standards for the number of kids to pass and then try to manipulate the system to work. If the kid is not showing up and not trying, then why should they pass? Most of the brunt of integrity of the school is placed on the teachers and without a supporting administration, tends sink to the lowest level because of the pressures. In some school systems more people should fail.

Look at what has changed in society- personal responsibility issue with kids and with their parents. Parent's don't hold themselves or their kids responsible these days. They don't value education. They want a diploma, but don't value what it takes to achieve it. Either that or there is aso

My wife would tell the administration, they could do what they want. But on the line next to her signature, it would read "Failed".

Not saying the above in defense of the wrong doing, by any stretch of the imagination. Some teachers should not be in the class room period, and with unemployment what it is, now would be a good time to cull the herd.

And Tex, you can't legislate morals, call me what you will. I believe people get what they deserve, whether we see it or not.

There is a theory that when you place varying sizes of marbles in a container and shake it, they always separate out by size. Kind of like people. They will shake out. People need only be given an opportunity, and those that will succeed will succeed. Those that will fail, will fail. It is not my job to press the reset button all the time and for you neither. My moral compass, does tell me that I should personally do what I can to take care of those that cannot take care of themselves (widowed, orphaned, and physically/mentally handicapped).

Ok farmer, I would be the first to tell you that I don't like some of the things that the NEA decides to do.

I would also tell you that all my relatives in education are willing and do give failing grades to the students you describe. More than one hasn't graduated because of this.

My family members who are teachers have also had to fight administrations (not NEA union members) to enforce some of these failing grades and mostly a lot of parents. By the end of the parent teacher discussion, the real reasons for failure become evident and some parents understand it and what to do to remedy it.

The one thing I do like about my family members in teaching is that they love teaching. They don't hold it against a student when he or she fails because there are many, many instances where extraneous life factors are involved or just plain old maturity problems. They still work with them. It isn't like a job where teachers could fire students who aren't pulling their load. That doesn't happen.

Twister is right about the professional insurance.

The medical insurance is a little different and unions do play a role in setting the parameters of those insurance policies but sometimes not enough,

I was life and health insurance agent in at least 4 different states. The policies are very complex and for a bunch of teachers or even local board members to have to go over all the details of insurance contracts is a task that is overwhelming if you don't have a lot of experience. A teachers union would have the interests aligned right for the teachers and hopefully the competence because they could develop the expertise from dealing with the issues for a long time and know all or most of the tricks. Of course they wouldn't be needed if they could just carbon copy the plan that our illustrious Congress has for themselves.

Unions do play a good role many times. Sometimes they don't seem to. Sometimes they are just the whipping boy for an underfunded system or a new political leader who wants to cut costs to pay for other things than education like bribing businesses from other states to come into their state with all kind of taxpayer goodies.

There are a bunch of outright misconceptions about many teachers unions and they all seem to get thrown into one big group, which as twister said, they are not. I have seen the same thing in church denominations. Tenure doesn't mean a whole lot like some people think it does. It is much harder to fire bad administrators than bad teachers.

I hope you have a better experience with the professionals in teaching you are working with. You should. Most are professionals but there area always situations when dealing with such a diverse student body where things do happen that are not right. In those instances, one must not come so quick to judge, but to understand the problem and fix it. If it can't be fixed or learned from, then firing is and always has been an alternative available with or without tenure. Tenure isn't the big benefit everyone thinks it is.

Tex

Twister Frost said:
okfarmer said:

Pretty sure we are talking about two different insurances, I am talking about malpractice/professional liability insurance. Having been involved with the NEA for close to twenty years, you are right about some of their agendas, but you are wrong when you state that they do "chump change" for children---75% of the programs must include children (the children very well could be gay or liberal, I do not know). I may not agree with all that the NEA does, but I am not forced to pay and since this has come up so many times in this forum, it needs to be noted that belonging to the NEA is not mandatory. As I said before, I also have a voice, and that can do a lot to make some see that not everyone agrees with what they are doing. I figure for less than two hundred dollars a year, I have a million dollar umbrella liability insurance. Since we both agree on what some kids are like today, I would not be without some sort of liability. Those kids who fail (and some of their parents) have no problem telling and fabricating lies if it will further their agenda.

Are you not offered the insurance without being a member? i.e. can you pay the group premium without any additional dollars going to the union?

If not, then it is a backwards way of forcing you to be a member. The professional liability is the reason many members belong to the NEA.

Why is this not included in your contract with your school district? It seems to me that this should be factored in to compensation and purchased by school districts as a group to obtain group membership- no?

What is the cost for a million dollar policy for you? My professional liability policy is ~ 180 dollars a year for a million dollar policy.

I'm afraid what the NEA claims to promote is far different than what they actually promote, look a little deeper. As far as being gay or lesbian- don't care. Don't want to know. I'll like you or dislike you just the same. But promoting the lifestyle should not be what tax dollars or teachers union dollars are used for. Why would the education system be used to promote a sexual choice?

okfarmer said:
Twister Frost said:
okfarmer said:

Are you not offered the insurance without being a member? i.e. can you pay the group premium without any additional dollars going to the union?

If not, then it is a backwards way of forcing you to be a member. The professional liability is the reason many members belong to the NEA.

Why is this not included in your contract with your school district? It seems to me that this should be factored in to compensation and purchased by school districts as a group to obtain group membership- no?

What is the cost for a million dollar policy for you? My professional liability policy is ~ 180 dollars a year for a million dollar policy.

I'm afraid what the NEA claims to promote is far different than what they actually promote, look a little deeper. As far as being gay or lesbian- don't care. Don't want to know. I'll like you or dislike you just the same. But promoting the lifestyle should not be what tax dollars or teachers union dollars are used for. Why would the education system be used to promote a sexual choice?

But promoting the lifestyle should not be what tax dollars or teachers union dollars are used for. Why would the education system be used to promote a sexual choice?

I will totally agree with you on this, ok farmer.

Tex

Tex said:
okfarmer said:
Twister Frost said:

But promoting the lifestyle should not be what tax dollars or teachers union dollars are used for. Why would the education system be used to promote a sexual choice?

Tex

Why should tax dollars be spent to promote any lifestyle choice, or in other words indoctrinate.

I've been following this thread, and the "merit pay" thread, but have not commented yet, but one comment invoked a thought.....

I was under the assumption that a majority of the administrations duties were assessment of their employees competency. But that would require them to be in the classroom a little and know what is going on.

Liberals seem to think that the government should be watching our every move and evaluating, so why not install cameras, in every classroom, so as to evaluate teachers?

they are on public time, and not private......I'm pretty sure that constitutional issues would not come into play.

Call it transparency......

The problem with the whole evaluation of teachers is the liberalization of the whole education system already in place. That is why the voucher system can be the answer to many of the problems in the education system.

As long as we have free public education it will be a socialist system by definition. Without an educated public, democracy has no chance.

Whatever the answer to our school situation is, it can't create cesspool schools to dump the unwanted kids. And whoever is getting the kids with challenges, has to have the resources to deal with them. It can't be an even money division if the kids have truly different requirements.

The ghetto kid is going to grow up and have the same power to vote as a Harvard graduate. I want the kid to be able to read and think for himself, we don't need another Obama.

I was life and health insurance agent in at least 4 different states. The policies are very complex and for a bunch of teachers or even local board members to have to go over all the details of insurance contracts is a task that is overwhelming if you don't have a lot of experience. A teachers union would have the interests aligned right for the teachers and hopefully the competence because they could develop the expertise from dealing with the issues for a long time and know all or most of the tricks.

I'm sure you were not intending to say that teachers are not intelligent enough to make decisions regarding their own financial well being, as other professionals are required to do. But deep down, isn't that what is implied if they need a union every time to make that choice?[/quote]

hypocritexposer said:
Tex said:
okfarmer said:

Tex

Why should tax dollars be spent to promote any lifestyle choice, or in other words indoctrinate.

I've been following this thread, and the "merit pay" thread, but have not commented yet, but one comment invoked a thought.....

I was under the assumption that a majority of the administrations duties were assessment of their employees competency. But that would require them to be in the classroom a little and know what is going on.

Liberals seem to think that the government should be watching our every move and evaluating, so why not install cameras, in every classroom, so as to evaluate teachers?

they are on public time, and not private......I'm pretty sure that constitutional issues would not come into play.

Call it transparency......

My small school now has something like forty cameras, with cameras in all the hallways and outer entrances, along with fifteen new cameras this summer that swivel for inside classroom pictures. I actually hope to have my classes recorded this year,so hope there will be a camera in my room. To be honest, the majority of teachers in my school have no problem with having cameras in the classrooms---it's the parents and students who are complaining about infringing on their rights; i.e., they do not want their child's actions to be able to be used against them. I want it for the ability to post the day'snotes, discussions, work for those who are gone. It is acountability, also, something that is deemed necessary because of all the wrongdoing happening in the profession. The video rarely lies, but there is also an immense expense that goes with the cameras and backup bandwidth to keep for any length of time.

As for the issue of insurance, okfarmer, yes, I can participate in the group health insurance that my school offers---but it is health only. I have no practice with schools that buy health insurance from the NEA---can't think that any school in SD would even allow it, since most towns have local insurance agents who we like to use to keep our money in the community, if at all possible, along with corresponding to the haelth clinics/hospitals that are in town/nearby. The school itself carries a $25,000 liability policy on each employee, but that would be the equivalent of a retainer fee nowadays. I do not know of any teachers who are able to buy liability insurance through their school---but I only know of a few districts in ND and the South Dakota school system. It is not a reversed forced decision for me---it, along with legal representation from my state and national, is included. It works for me, not saying that it does for anyone else.

As far as tax dollars to promote a lifestyle choice, I guess it makes me wonder what kind of education is taught in some of the other states. I've never taught in a school where lifestyle choices was part of the curriculum. No doubt the topic comes up in physical health and FACS classes, but I think the morals and values of the community dictate what is usually discussed. If a school is adding curriculum for this, I have to question where it fits in to the President's "Race to the Top" and how are the feds going to determine who is profcient and advanced??!!

I have been in education long enough for the system to have lost some of its shine, but I also know that it is no different than many other careers and jobs---they all have their own intrinsic problems. I still believe I have the best job in the world because I work with the future and these kids possess the hopes and dreams for the future---doesn't mean they are always in line with yours or mine, but they are at least trying.

Latest posts