• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Team Roping

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
Team roping officially joins the list
By JOE KUSEK
Of The Gazette Staff

After all these years, it's finally official. Team roping is considered a standard event at all PRCA rodeos, gaining equal footing with all the others.

During a board of directors meeting in August, the PRCA voted on a variety of subjects, including some minor modifications for tie-down ropers, team ropers and steer wrestlers at the National Finals Rodeo and the selling of the Xtreme Bulls Tour.

The biggest change was making team roping the sixth standard event for all PRCA-sanctioned rodeos. Prior to the decision, team roping was optional at 39 PRCA rodeos in the 39 eastern-most states.
Team roping will become a mandatory event for 2006.

The Southwestern Exposition Rodeo in Fort Worth, Texas - one of the largest during the winter season - has never had team roping during its storied history. But Fort Worth officials recently announced that it would have team roping for 2006, just at a different arena. They asked the PRCA for a one-year postponement on the rule because there was not enough time to reconfigure Will Rogers Coliseum to PRCA team roping standards.

Team roping is one of the fastest-growing rodeo events in the U.S. and traditionally has the largest number of entries, particularly at PRCA rodeos around Montana.

The PRCA board of directors also adopted a couple of ground rule changes for the NFR.

Team ropers will be limited to two loops (one each for the header and heeler) and tie-down ropers to one loop.

This means if the header misses on his first attempt, the team will receive no time. In the past, team ropers were allowed three loops during a run.

Tie-down ropers will also have just one shot and if they miss, will receive a no time.

It was also decided that steer wrestlers would be limited to one attempt.

This will sure change the average winners.

I guess they thought they had to speed the show up for the folks watching. Most times, if they don't get one caught right away, they ain't going to win, but it will sure make a difference at the finals, won't it? Shoot, Speed Williams and his partner seem to always miss the first one of the finals and then rope hard to come back and win it! :lol:

I heard thru the grapevine that team roping was part of the falling out between PRCA and the CPRCA. figured it was too much prize money to pay Header and healer the same as other event winners.

I used to announce some team ropings, including USTRC team ropings, and heard some good jokes. I may have posted this one a few years back.

Jake Barnes and Clay O'Brien Cooper were in Arizona at a team roping. It was very hot that day. One young guy leaned up against the arena fence and said to them, "Boy, it's hot, ain't it?"

Jake Barnes looked down at him and said, "Listen son. We are the heat."

Latest posts