• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Technologies that will go...or not

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RSL

Reaction score
A post on another forum got me thinking and I am interested in what technologies folks see sticking around, disappearing and coming onstream over the next several years, and why.
My thoughts on a few are
Implants - going to disappear due to public pressure
Ionophores (eg: rumensin) - not sure, they are not an antibiotic, but do reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
DNA testing - going to explode and grow
Antibiotics - only for treatment and will become heavily regulated
Preventatives (eg: Draxxin on arrival) - gone

Seems like Ionophores get lumped in with antibiotics in programs like Spring Creek.
They don't want us using antibiotics but will be using more drugs for pain.
What about remote tracking on cows?

More ultra sound, less manual preg checking......not such a pain in the ass. :lol:

Thinking implants will probably be here a while.

Its sure a fine line when it comes to antibiotics. Some of you, like me, are a longs way from a vet. When does animal welfare trump waiting for a vet for a few days? This ban on fed antibiotics is just the start. California is banning injectable antibiotics in '18 without a vets order. While there are probably a few who over use them or use them wrong, I feel the majority use them responsibly. But, in this modern age of over-reaction, where folks who have never seen a cow make the rules, it isn't surprising. Even medicated calf milk replacer will go away with out an VFD.

DNA testing will really find its way to lots of ranches, I believe.
I wonder how long hot branding will be able to withstand the publics uneducated perception and propaganda from extremists?
I really think that public land grazing will disappear in 50 years unless something major changes in America. I hope I am gone before its gone.

leanin' H said:
Its sure a fine line when it comes to antibiotics. Some of you, like me, are a longs way from a vet. When does animal welfare trump waiting for a vet for a few days? This ban on fed antibiotics is just the start. California is banning injectable antibiotics in '18 without a vets order. While there are probably a few who over use them or use them wrong, I feel the majority use them responsibly. But, in this modern age of over-reaction, where folks who have never seen a cow make the rules, it isn't surprising. Even medicated calf milk replacer will go away with out an VFD.

DNA testing will really find its way to lots of ranches, I believe.
I wonder how long hot branding will be able to withstand the publics uneducated perception and propaganda from extremists?
I really think that public land grazing will disappear in 50 years unless something major changes in America. I hope I am gone before its gone.

What about guided, round baler, deer hunts? :D

It is a damn sorry world we're headed to.

Re. "pain" of preg testing: I've always heard that the pain is in the shoulder of the person doing the testing. Amazing what one can learn on this site! Seriously, I've heard about quite a few people who either have had, or need shoulder surgery after years of preg testing. The ultra-sound seems to tell us more, and saves wear and tear on both the tester and the tested.

I do wonder how much of the 'anti' technology, animal care procedures, and such is based highly on activists who agitate against any use of animals that on any knowledge of fact.

For instance, many of us have experienced ourselves, or even our child getting an injury requiring a stitch or two, and the doc saying a pain injection would just mean an extra 'stick', and we gone with it. Or the practice of circumcision with no anesthetic (danger of pain killers were cited to us as the reason).

With animals, it seems to me the extra time for anesthetic and the brief amount of time needed by even a 'rancher expert' castrating a very young animal, or branding might add to the pain/fear experienced by the calf. Different animal 'personalities' seem to me to experience vastly different levels of 'stress' during normal 'procedures' on a ranch. Recently I noticed two different photo's of the same situation: calves were roped and dragged a few feet the Nord-fork, caught in it, and held for maybe two or three minutes while being castrated, vaccinated, and injected. One calf was bellering, fighting, and looking very frightened from the time the rope touched him until he was released and rejoined his dam at the edge of the branding area and trotted off. The other, really most of them, flinched at each touch, but didn't beller, or look overly scared or hurt except for when branded, and that was very momentary. It really seems that the fact they are being 'held or controlled against their will' was the most frightening part of it. And that they are returned to the cow immediately after being processed really helps with the stress to the calves. Most are nursing within a few minutes, or else moving away from the area immediately, to nurse further from the active area. The day after branding, there are very few calves that show any after effects, and those are mostly some stiffness for the steers, and they may all sleep a little more than normal.

Re. the other technologies, I wonder if we will find alternatives to some of the more effective ones. Like the implants which were developed to create more marbling and less external fat in the beef. That one was directly in response to what consumers said they wanted! Since there are no residues or other reasons to not use it, it seems irresponsible not to do so for 'feel good' reasons.

Is anyone pointing out to consumers that we cannot produce beef for them if they won't pay us for what we do? We all too often hear ourselves criticized as wanting to make a profit, stated as if 'profit' were a truly nasty swear word! Why is that, any way?

mrj

4Diamond said:
I think the use of Drones in checking cattle especially on the range will increase.

I agree... Heck, I have irrigated pastures within 15 miles of home. I could see using a drone to "Run over" and check the cows.

mrj said:
Re. "pain" of preg testing: I've always heard that the pain is in the shoulder of the person doing the testing. Amazing what one can learn on this site! Seriously, I've heard about quite a few people who either have had, or need shoulder surgery after years of preg testing. The ultra-sound seems to tell us more, and saves wear and tear on both the tester and the tested.

I do wonder how much of the 'anti' technology, animal care procedures, and such is based highly on activists who agitate against any use of animals that on any knowledge of fact.

For instance, many of us have experienced ourselves, or even our child getting an injury requiring a stitch or two, and the doc saying a pain injection would just mean an extra 'stick', and we gone with it. Or the practice of circumcision with no anesthetic (danger of pain killers were cited to us as the reason).

With animals, it seems to me the extra time for anesthetic and the brief amount of time needed by even a 'rancher expert' castrating a very young animal, or branding might add to the pain/fear experienced by the calf. Different animal 'personalities' seem to me to experience vastly different levels of 'stress' during normal 'procedures' on a ranch. Recently I noticed two different photo's of the same situation: calves were roped and dragged a few feet the Nord-fork, caught in it, and held for maybe two or three minutes while being castrated, vaccinated, and injected. One calf was bellering, fighting, and looking very frightened from the time the rope touched him until he was released and rejoined his dam at the edge of the branding area and trotted off. The other, really most of them, flinched at each touch, but didn't beller, or look overly scared or hurt except for when branded, and that was very momentary. It really seems that the fact they are being 'held or controlled against their will' was the most frightening part of it. And that they are returned to the cow immediately after being processed really helps with the stress to the calves. Most are nursing within a few minutes, or else moving away from the area immediately, to nurse further from the active area. The day after branding, there are very few calves that show any after effects, and those are mostly some stiffness for the steers, and they may all sleep a little more than normal.

Re. the other technologies, I wonder if we will find alternatives to some of the more effective ones. Like the implants which were developed to create more marbling and less external fat in the beef. That one was directly in response to what consumers said they wanted! Since there are no residues or other reasons to not use it, it seems irresponsible not to do so for 'feel good' reasons.

Is anyone pointing out to consumers that we cannot produce beef for them if they won't pay us for what we do? We all too often hear ourselves criticized as wanting to make a profit, stated as if 'profit' were a truly nasty swear word! Why is that, any way?

mrj

There are many ways of "Pregging without a sleeve". For less than $3.00 per head, we can draw blood samples and find out. Also, watching the cows or turning a cleanup kind of bull in and watching.....

mrj, your observations on calf reactions to branding kind of interest me. And, it seems to me one wave is more focus on lower stress cattle handling. That it isn't seen as a technology in this thread yet is a bit interesting. Part of technology IMO may be more recognition of talent handling cattle.

I was at Trinity Farms Bull Sale this week. I had designed a load out for a Bud Box fan a year or so ago. I called it a "parallel box. I kind of just took their facility and made a couple of gate adjustments to use what they had and the way they wanted to handle cattle at pretty minimal cost. Anyways, separately, two members of the family came up to tell me how well it worked and thankful they were. While I find that feedback rewarding, truth of the matter is the right people were using that design.

Another thing is dogs. And, using them right. It drives me nuts to watch youtube videos of trailer load outs using dogs and the handler is nowhere near the trailer. Set the cattle up to be used to the dog bringing cattle to/past you as the reward to less pressure. This makes load out/working cattle from the front a lot easier.

I kind of got side tracked here.

Preventative. I find it interesting that mass antibiotics is seen as preventative. I really feel good nutrition, vaccination, minerals and handling are far better preventative. I say this recognizing cases where mass antibiotics get you out of a potential wreck. We have used some pretty expensive Altech feed supplements at weaning this year with great results. So, I guess I am saying probiotic, mineral and feed technologies will grow and are here to stay.

Certainly, genetic testing and looking at correlations have gotten much cheaper and are here to stay.

I kind of take for granted cattle handling facilities and a lot of changes in the pipeline for granted because I work with them all of the time. It is amazing how much change is taking place. The commonness of Hydraulic chutes is an example. LOL, related, i was talking to a producer about his new Center Pivots in Western Washington. He said he wanted to ask his dad why he hadn't done it 25 years ago. I told him 60 cent calves and 60 dollar a ton hay is why. Same thing with these chutes. But the technologies coming into many of these products is pretty amazing. It will ultimately combine with other technologies on the farm to make the things safer, less stressful and maybe even result in fewer late life ailments.

I'll probably re read this thread and come up with a lot more. I think this is really interesting. LOL, as evidenced by my book long reply.

Animal ID with more "range" to read from... How handy would that be for tracking lost cattle?

As far as antibiotics, I think you'll see a lot of cases where the vet scripts things for ranches and producers rather than total elimination of access.

PPRM said "Preventative. I find it interesting that mass antibiotics is seen as preventative. I really feel good nutrition, vaccination, minerals and handling are far better preventative. I say this recognizing cases where mass antibiotics get you out of a potential wreck. We have used some pretty expensive Altech feed supplements at weaning this year with great results. So, I guess I am saying probiotic, mineral and feed technologies will grow and are here to stay."

:agree:
The best antibiotics won't work if the immune system has been compromised because of poor nutrition. I know from our own situation, getting the nutrition correct results in less or virtually no sickness issues. We, and many of our customers, buy antibiotic in the smallest bottle possible and wind up throwing some of it away because it has expired. We went through 8 years of 95% of our calves getting sick. We even moved away to try and stop it. That didn't work. What we learned was that our cattle had a very compromised immune system due to low levels of copper. Once we fixed that, and learned about nutrition, our troubles were over. Seriously. All we fed was grass hay and mineral, nothing else and there were years we didn't doctor a calf, or lose one....I know, sounds like hype but it is true.

Prevention is key and proper nutrition doesn't have to be expensive. There just needs to be enough of it.

Another technology that will expand is cell phone apps. Gallagher has a system to where you get a text message if your fencing system is comprised. Irrigators in my area have a bunch of cell phone notification apps. It will largely have to do with imagination regarding how the cell gets used the best.

PPRM said:
mrj said:

mrj

There are many ways of "Pregging without a sleeve". For less than $3.00 per head, we can draw blood samples and find out. Also, watching the cows or turning a cleanup kind of bull in and watching.....

mrj, your observations on calf reactions to branding kind of interest me. And, it seems to me one wave is more focus on lower stress cattle handling. That it isn't seen as a technology in this thread yet is a bit interesting. Part of technology IMO may be more recognition of talent handling cattle.

I was at Trinity Farms Bull Sale this week. I had designed a load out for a Bud Box fan a year or so ago. I called it a "parallel box. I kind of just took their facility and made a couple of gate adjustments to use what they had and the way they wanted to handle cattle at pretty minimal cost. Anyways, separately, two members of the family came up to tell me how well it worked and thankful they were. While I find that feedback rewarding, truth of the matter is the right people were using that design.

Another thing is dogs. And, using them right. It drives me nuts to watch youtube videos of trailer load outs using dogs and the handler is nowhere near the trailer. Set the cattle up to be used to the dog bringing cattle to/past you as the reward to less pressure. This makes load out/working cattle from the front a lot easier.

I kind of got side tracked here.

Preventative. I find it interesting that mass antibiotics is seen as preventative. I really feel good nutrition, vaccination, minerals and handling are far better preventative. I say this recognizing cases where mass antibiotics get you out of a potential wreck. We have used some pretty expensive Altech feed supplements at weaning this year with great results. So, I guess I am saying probiotic, mineral and feed technologies will grow and are here to stay.

Certainly, genetic testing and looking at correlations have gotten much cheaper and are here to stay.

I kind of take for granted cattle handling facilities and a lot of changes in the pipeline for granted because I work with them all of the time. It is amazing how much change is taking place. The commonness of Hydraulic chutes is an example. LOL, related, i was talking to a producer about his new Center Pivots in Western Washington. He said he wanted to ask his dad why he hadn't done it 25 years ago. I told him 60 cent calves and 60 dollar a ton hay is why. Same thing with these chutes. But the technologies coming into many of these products is pretty amazing. It will ultimately combine with other technologies on the farm to make the things safer, less stressful and maybe even result in fewer late life ailments.

I'll probably re read this thread and come up with a lot more. I think this is really interesting. LOL, as evidenced by my book long reply.

PPRM, thanks for your comments. Always more to learn. I have read of the blood test to determine pregnancy in cows. I think we haven't yet used it here. We aren't really slow to learn and accept new technologies, but are not often 'in the front row' for doing so, either.

So far as older (and newer!) 'technologies' such as cattle handling methods, a lot of that was taught us by some of the best of cattlemen in the country in generation two on this and other family members' ranches. The learning continues into our fifth generation, and is even beginning in our very young (ages 3 and a half years for the first one, and sixteen months for her little sister) Generation 6. There are photo's of the three year old intently watching her great grandpa filling vaccine guns, and similar little chores around working pens, which is how he began learning how to 'be a cowboy' at a slightly older age of 5 years about 75 years ago! The 'kinder, gentler' cattle handling methods aren't totally new, so much as they have new names and the thought and reasoning for them have been detailed in writing, when, on this ranch, it was "just the way to do it" and somewhat instinctive after being chastised for doing something wrong by those tough old cowboys!!!

We do have a pretty large group of mostly young ranch families in the area we trade work with, so can assemble some awfully good crews when working cattle. We believe branding is best done on 'clean' native grass pasture, but routine 'putting them through the chute' stuff like preg testing, vaccinations, preparing for weaning, A-I-ing and such, well, we are soon going to have a nice mostly indoor facility......after more than a year of 'fits and starts' at getting it done. And NEXT YEAR, it will also serve as a calving barn! It's looking like we may get the hiefers finished calving out before it is ready, but in a storm situation, I think we could use it now.

Wish I had found an alternative word for 'personality' of the calves when commenting on the very different reactions they had to being roped and dragged (by their hind legs) to the branding area. I really believe much of the problems with anti-animals-as-food people stems from people giving animals human attributes. People tend to forget, or deliberately so for their activist purposes, that animals have instincts, not human feelings. They feel pain if injured, fear, etc., but not really "feelings" such as love for one another, or their human keepers. Otherwise, why would a cow deliberately try to kill her calf? And it isn't 'love' which makes calves and cows 'cry' when separated for weaning: it is painfully over filled udders for the cows, and not so much hunger as just liking that milk for the calves, but certainly not 'love'. Or horned critters fight to the death if not stopped by humans, as some will. Or a young bull calf breed his own dam or sister??? Ooops! Maybe I'm straying into a strata of our society I really don't want to know any more about than I've already heard!

mrj

Interesting. Another that crossed my mind and is mentioned in a response earlier on is pain control. Metacam is a miracle to behold and will increase in use.
Another we have used is sexed semen and AI. I am not sure how much I see AI growing, but I can see it shifting towards sexed semen product more and more.

Looking over this thread, I'm wondering if we may be mixing varied situations: one, and probably what we are addressing for the most part, the rancher who weans and keeps his own calves until selling after they truly are weaned; and two: those who buy calves, some of which are 'weaned on the truck' to the sale barn, then co-mingles many such groups and hopes for the best, giving himself a bit of an edge by using antibiotics, especially if some already are showing signs of illness. Such vastly different situations require different actions. And hopefully, people in either situation have competent veterinarians backing them up!!!!

mrj

Latest posts