• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ted Turner buys another 26,000 acres in NE

Help Support Ranchers.net:

srd65

Reaction score
This is in todays Rapid City Journal. Turner paid 10,000,000 for a 26,300 acre ranch near Mullen NE.

link here

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2007/11/28/news/top/doc474de51b96a3e798594494.txt

He will get the other half of Nebraska at bottom dollar when his neighbors can't pay the new higher property taxes.

:( :( :(

If I bought the man a cold one do you suppose he would give me a little ranch some place? :wink: :lol: For some reason I just don't think Keystone Light would be his beverage of choice.

have a cold one

lazy ace

I might have already told this story but its worth telling again--

We have a pretty nice little steak house over here in Montana that people like going to. Ted took his former wife Jane to the steak house and was met at the door by the owner, a Vietnam veteran. The owner told Ted that he was welcome to come in and eat, "but that bi%&h you have with you is not welcome in my place."

I'm not sure how much land Turner has here in Montana but its a big chunk. He has the biggest private bison herd in the word.

Faster horses said:
There is something on aol.com home page about Ted Turner and folks worrying about him controlling the water, etc. Too bad one person can own so much property.[/quote]

Like it or not...the alternative is a communist state controlled policy with regard to the land ownership.

As long as you pay your taxes....you can own as much as you can buy.

That's what makes America great!!!

Yep. It would be a perfect world if only agriculture people could buy ag land...and it sure isn't perfect...so we have to put up with others that have made big time money in other endeavors then buying up land. Sure is hard on young folks getting started or established ranchers wanting to expand. That's what I wish could happen...but it's a long ways from that, and getting harder all the time.

Faster horses said:
...and getting harder all the time.
It is getting harder, I feel lucky to have been able to get some land before it all got so expensive. Im trying to pick up some land over in Boulder,Mt right now, the prices are outrageous and still climbing.

About 7-8 yerars ago a combine crew came through here that had some young guys on it. One guy was 25 at the time. His uncle owned the combines. He told me "even if you go broke you are lucky" I asked what he meant by that and he answered that at 18 his Dad was 40 and there was no room for him on the farm so he packed up with Uncle George and travelled from Texas to Canada 6 times before he met me. I was the first person to make his living solely from farming and ranching without an outside source of income younger than his Dad that he had met in 6 years of travelling the country. The amount of money it takes makes starting impossible. You could give a young guy that land free and clear with the only stipulation that he has to own all the cows that run on it and he would still go broke. A sad statement, but more than likely the fact.

what scares me is that someday he will die, and then what will happen to the land. My guess is that it will be donated to the government for a wild life refuge, and then it will all get taken off the taxes.

BRG said:
what scares me is that someday he will die, and then what will happen to the land. My guess is that it will be donated to the government for a wild life refuge, and then it will all get taken off the taxes.
He'll donate it to the U.N. which will be worse.

Red Robin said:
BRG said:
He'll donate it to the U.N. which will be worse.

You guys are maybe both right-- but as far as Montana- I'll bet some of the corporate interests now own much more than old Ted-- and many of them are tied back into the nature conservancies for the government money and tax breaks--and ultimately lined out to end up in the hands of these conservationist (can you say greeny weenie or bunny hugger) groups....

Anybody read about "The Big Open".... :???:

Curly said:
I might have already told this story but its worth telling again--

We have a pretty nice little steak house over here in Montana that people like going to. Ted took his former wife Jane to the steak house and was met at the door by the owner, a Vietnam veteran. The owner told Ted that he was welcome to come in and eat, "but that bi%&h you have with you is not welcome in my place."

I'm not sure how much land Turner has here in Montana but its a big chunk. He has the biggest private bison herd in the word.

Would that be the Oasis in Manhattan?

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Curley love that story. When I worked at a ski resort we had a pot going on who was going to launch one of them off of the chair lift. Girl at another lift got it. She launched Jane. we laughed for days. :lol:

OT I have been sent maps and all else about the "Big Open". Scarey stuff.

I'm all in support of private ownership of land, but Nebraskans must plan now to stop the conversion of private land to public land outside of democratic rule. Turner will try some backdoor Nature Conservancy plan.

Further disgusting is the USDA bison purchases at 3x beef prices during the Klinton regime. Seems nobody wants ground bison so they give it to interned illegals and Native Americans (nice parallel symbolism).

Since they tossed Ted out of AOLTW, he's really bought land. I can't criticize Ted for buying land, outside his lottery winnings with the MGM movies/cable deal, land holdings are the only thing that has worked for Ted. People avoided Stupid Ted's Bison Boondogle in droves.

Most people don't know that while Jane was doing her thing her brother Peter enlisted in the Marine Corp and was stationed at Camp Lejune NC through out his enlistment.

The powers in charge were afraid to send him overseas as they felt it would put the people serving with him in undue risk.

He seemed very likable and did his assigned task properly but spoke very little of his sister. I would not have wanted to have been put in that spot.

While I have NO RESPECT for Jane Fonda, I have a lot of respect for Peter Fonda. I believe he has been one of the longest celebrities to live in Montana and what have we heard about him? He minds his own business and has for years. That speaks volumes.

I've heard he takes care of his property and his neighbors like him.
'Nuff said.

George writes:[Most people don't know that while Jane was doing her thing her brother Peter enlisted in the Marine Corp and was stationed at Camp Lejune NC through out his enlistment.
The powers in charge were afraid to send him overseas as they felt it would put the people serving with him in undue risk.
He seemed very likable and did his assigned task properly but spoke very little of his sister. I would not have wanted to have been put in that spot.]

Are you sure about this George? Many years ago I went on an MDA charity run with Peter Fonda. Surprisingly he spent a lot of time chatting with the VietNam Vets M/C. He said his sisters life was her own and he couldn't or wouldn't comment on it. At no time did he ever mention being in the military. I have just checked 5 different bio's on him and it shows that he has never been in the military! Maybe a different Peter Fonda?

Better add another to the suspect list! I am not saying some of these stories are not true! Some are written in a way to appear to be first hand knowledge. Just wondering where they came from!

Summary of the eRumor
The story claims that a caller to a radio station witnessed an encounter between Jane Fonda, her then husband Ted Turner, and a restaurant owner in Montana.
The couple arrived for dinner but was told that there was a 45-minute wait.
They called for the manager and asked him, "Do you know who I am?"
They asked for the owner and tried the same with him.
He is alleged to have told them that he was a Vietnam vet and that they were not welcome in his establishment.
The eRumor closes by identifying the name of the restaurant in which this is alleged to have happened.

This story has been circulating for quite a while and we have never found any identifying details or substantiation for it.

It circulated first without any identification of the restaurant in which it was supposed to have happened, but this version does name the restaurant.
We called the folks at Sir Scott's Oasis Steakhouse in Montana.
They said nothing of this nature ever happened there.

It's constructed on a couple of known facts.
One is that Jane Fonda is viewed by many Americans, and especially many Vietnam veterans, as a traitor because of her controversial visit to North Vietnam during the war.
Another is that she has owned property in Montana.

Latest posts