• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

TERRIBLE ACCIDENT

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
I hope you folks dont get tired of my complaining about moving equipment on county roads.The roads around here are narrow and winding,add the fact that this area is fast becoming a hot spot for retiree's and you see what happens.I have been almost ran over more times than I care to remember
05news.jpg
PS please be careful especially if you have youngsters working............good luck

Yikes Hay Maker....anyone you knew? I've worked many a wrecks myself being an EMT, but never one involving farming implements, for the simple fact that not much farming in Schleicher County where I am an EMT on their strictly Volunteer Ambulance Service.

TXTibbs said:
Yikes Hay Maker....anyone you knew? I've worked many a wrecks myself being an EMT, but never one involving farming implements, for the simple fact that not much farming in Schleicher County where I am an EMT on their strictly Volunteer Ambulance Service.

Yes I know the fellow that got hit on the tractor,here is the story

Accident Claims Two
Posted: Wednesday, Jul 20, 2005 - 03:22:47 pm CDT

EMERGENCY PERSONNEL work the scene of a pickup truck and tractor accident Friday morning, one half mile south of Fredericksburg on U.S. Highway 87. The 11:25 a.m. accident claimed the lives of Francis Stehling, 84, and Mrs. Dorothy Stehling, 83, of Fredericksburg. Juan Camacho, 29, also of Fredericksburg is in stable condition in University Hospital in San Antonio. Standard-Radio Post Photo

A Friday morning accident claimed the lives of a Fredericksburg couple, and injured another person, one-half mile south of Fredericksburg on U.S. Highway 87.

Pronounced dead at the scene by Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace James Koehn, was Francis Stehling, 84, of Fredericksburg, driver of a 1976 GMC Sierra pickup.

Airlifted to University Hospital in San Antonio was Stehling's wife, Dorothy, 83, a passenger in the pickup. Mrs. Stehling died Tuesday afternoon, July 19, of injuries sustained in the accident.

Also airlifted to University Hospital was Juan Camacho, 29, also of Fredericksburg. Camacho was the driver of the second vehicle, a John Deere RW4450 tractor, owned by Sidney Crenwelge of Fredericksburg.

As of Tuesday, July 19, Camacho is in stable condition, at University Hospital.

According to Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper Jay Rios, both vehicles were headed north on U.S. Highway 87 when the Stehling pickup rear-ended the tractor, throwing the driver from the cab of his tractor. The accident occurred at 11:25 a.m. and is still under investigation.

Trooper Rios was assisted by the Fredericksburg Police Department, Gillespie County Sheriff's Department, the Fredericksburg Volunteer Fire Department and Fredericksburg EMS personnel.

This is the second fatality accident and the fourth and fifth deaths on Gillespie County roadways in less than a month. There have been 10 fatalities in the county for the year, according to DPS statistics.

Funeral services for the Stehlings are pending at Schaetter Funeral Home. Complete obituaries for Mr. and Mrs. Francis Stehling will be run next week.

On-line publication, Copyright © 2005, The Fredericksburg Standard/Radio Post.
The Fredericksburg Standard/Radio Post / P.O. Box 1639 / Fredericksburg, Tx 78624-4228 / 830-997-2155

Big Muddy rancher said:
Bad accident but that road doesn't look that narrow. It has a line down the middle.

It might not look it, but I have almost been run over on that same stretch of road,and it is what we call a major thru fare,we have many more farm to market roads that you can get hurt on mighty fast...................good luck & be careful

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Bad accident but that road doesn't look that narrow. It has a line down the middle.

It might not look it, but I have almost been run over on that same stretch of road,and it is what we call a major thru fare,we have many more farm to market roads that you can get hurt on mighty fast...................good luck & be careful

Although it's not the case here; the problem isn't so much the width of the road as it is the idiots doing 'fly-bys' at speed without even so much as getting off the gas. Even on a four lane divided highway it'd be hazardous, much less a two-lane FM road.

Not sure where you are but it's that way all OVER Texas. Too many damn people hauling ass where they shouldn't be and spending more time jabbering into their damn phones than they do paying attention to the road. Pisses me off every time I see some numb nut driving around a tractor like they're a nuisance.

In THIS case... I have to wonder how acute the reflexes of an 84 year old driver can be. My grand-dad's 82 and can barely remember where he is much less run a car.

packerland said:
HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Although it's not the case here; the problem isn't so much the width of the road as it is the idiots doing 'fly-bys' at speed without even so much as getting off the gas. Even on a four lane divided highway it'd be hazardous, much less a two-lane FM road.

Not sure where you are but it's that way all OVER Texas. Too many damn people hauling ass where they shouldn't be and spending more time jabbering into their damn phones than they do paying attention to the road. p***** me off every time I see some numb nut driving around a tractor like they're a nuisance.

In THIS case... I have to wonder how acute the reflexes of an 84 year old driver can be. My grand-dad's 82 and can barely remember where he is much less run a car.

That's exactly my thinking,from the looks of the scene ,you would have to assume that the old fellow was going pretty fast[bless his heart] if I am lucky enough to live that long about 40 miles per hour will be my top speed,come to think of it I dont drive much faster than that now,just leave early and drive slow...............good luck

Terrible accident. Also any out there that cut weeds along the roads be careful. My husband rolled the cab tractor a few days ago. All is OK but I'd rather see the weeds than to hear of the many rollovers we have had in our area the last few years.

feeder said:
Terrible accident. Also any out there that cut weeds along the roads be careful. My husband rolled the cab tractor a few days ago. All is OK but I'd rather see the weeds than to hear of the many rollovers we have had in our area the last few years.

Hope he's ok Feeder... weeds and bar ditches are just a bad bad combo.

I may have said this before but I am an Asst. Chief for a little volunteer fire department here in SW Oklahoma and I don't mind all the fire calls but the meds. kick my butt. The worst one yet was a car wreck with a pick-up and a ~25' No-Till drill. :cry: :cry: Let's just say the No-Till won. When I got on seen I could see a late model Ford F-250 sideways without the top and the top was on the drill. :cry: :cry: :cry: I cannot say much more but I don't think you would like to hear it too. On a side note, people just don't respect farm equipment and we all need to look out for them.

My father in law's hired man was driving a tractor down the road. He checked all directions before turning, it looked clear with only one car a long way behind him. Took the turn and the car behind t-boned him doing over 100 mph. The tractor was split in half, each half about 50 yards from each other. Both tractor driver and car driver WALKED AWAY!! Talk about someone watching over them.

We ( my son mostly) still farm about 1,500 acres of row crop and it is spread out over about 12 miles. I get a lot of fun poked at me as I have working brake, tail, turn signals on all equipment as well as fresh SMV emblems and I buy DOT3 tape in 150 foot rolls and have it outlining everything. I know this sounds like over kill but so far it has worked.
I own and run Greensboro Sand And Gravel and in the winter we move a lot of snow for the county - - - We run a John Deere 750A road grader and two 980C Cat Loaders ( 66,000# and 425 HP ) with 5 yard buckets. I have all the same on them but still have had several close calls as people try to pass and find out that there is nothing but snow in front of us. Another friend has a 966A Cat loader (about 50,000 # ) and he was going from his business to his home to do some work on it on a bright sunny afternoon on a 4 lane divided highway with little traffic when he felt a large bump. His loader sustained only paint scratches but the 18 year old boy and girl in the pickup who rearended him were killed outright - - - no skid marks or anything. You can only assume they just never realised what 4 way flashers and SMV emblems mean.

I had the same accident as the one in the picture. I was going down the highway in a 4320 (with a cab) the next thing I was rolling over upside down twice. Came to a stop rightside up,woundering what the h!!!! happened. Looked over in the the other ditch there was a wrecked Blazer, ours!!! My son came over a hill sun in his eyes and rearended me. Both of us walked away.

George said:
We ( my son mostly) still farm about 1,500 acres of row crop and it is spread out over about 12 miles. I get a lot of fun poked at me as I have working brake, tail, turn signals on all equipment as well as fresh SMV emblems and I buy DOT3 tape in 150 foot rolls and have it outlining everything. I know this sounds like over kill but so far it has worked.
I own and run Greensboro Sand And Gravel and in the winter we move a lot of snow for the county - - - We run a John Deere 750A road grader and two 980C Cat Loaders ( 66,000# and 425 HP ) with 5 yard buckets. I have all the same on them but still have had several close calls as people try to pass and find out that there is nothing but snow in front of us. Another friend has a 966A Cat loader (about 50,000 # ) and he was going from his business to his home to do some work on it on a bright sunny afternoon on a 4 lane divided highway with little traffic when he felt a large bump. His loader sustained only paint scratches but the 18 year old boy and girl in the pickup who rearended him were killed outright - - - no skid marks or anything. You can only assume they just never realised what 4 way flashers and SMV emblems mean.

George- I've did the same with the DOT3 tape on the trailers and trucks--sometimes under certain lighting conditions it shows up better than tail or clearance lights do, and half the time around here by the time you get back to the road you never know if the tailights on the trailer are still working- but that reflector tape will really show up a long ways in headlights......I also like to throw a yellow flashing strobe on top of the tractors or loader when moving on the road.....

mn said:
I had the same accident as the one in the picture. I was going down the highway in a 4320 (with a cab) the next thing I was rolling over upside down twice. Came to a stop rightside up,woundering what the h!!!! happened. Looked over in the the other ditch there was a wrecked Blazer, ours!!! My son came over a hill sun in his eyes and rearended me. Both of us walked away.

mn---sounds as though you and your boy had guardian angels with you on this horrible day!!! if only others could be more lucky!!! :?

Latest posts