• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Terrible Day!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
My little bay mare went through the ice today-Ty, Megan and I finally got her out-spent all afternoon trying to thaw her out with sleeping bags and a big fire. Fibnally got the neighbors to come and we rolled her into a trailer and got her to the vet clinic. We've been giving her electrolytes every couple hours and got her on an I'V in the vet clinic-t's not looking good though. There's not many dry eyes in our house tonight-she was the horse we measured all the rest against.

Oh, NR, that is TERRIBLE. I feel so bad.

Was that the cool horse that you posted a picture of that I liked the looks of so well?

I hate to say it, but we had a similar situation happen with a milk cow, and it did not turn out the way we wanted it to.

Oh, I will think about her all night long.

Hopefully she will come through. Mares are tough little nuts, so that should help.

she was the horse we measured all the rest against.

Ours is my husband's 25 year old, Orion. We cry just *talking* about his eventual demise. I can only imagine what you guys are going through.

I hope your girl pulls through. :(

She's a battler-she's trying to get up and my vet thinks she might of twisted something inside. I can't believe she's still alive she was soo cold when we got her out today.

Hope she pulls thru ok, what a terrible thing to happen, makes me that much more thankful I dont have ice to deal with.
She and yer family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Never had it quite this bad-it is so warm here our water holes keep thawing too big-and theres no snow to lick yet. If the darn things would just freeze at night we wouldn't of had this problem.

Lost a weanling filly the other day we've been trying for for years,palamino paint!!She just went down,did anything and everything for three days,didn't help....sure am hopin it works out right for you Northern

Northern Rancher said:
Never had it quite this bad-it is so warm here our water holes keep thawing too big-and theres no snow to lick yet. If the darn things would just freeze at night we wouldn't of had this problem.

I never thought I'd hear myself complaining about warm winter weather, but this -2 and -3 stuff sucks worse than -40. I was trying to haul some hay that didn't get hauled before the snow hit, and I spent more time stuck than I did hauling. Spin the wheels just a little bit, and the ground iced up immediately. Frustrating. More sickness in the pens than I've ever had.

Hope yer little bay mare makes it. I know a few horses that I like better than most people, and had to watch them go down.

Rod

Sorry to hear about the problems of your good bay mare. I hope and pray that she will recover. Were you on her when she went through the ice? It is always a scary feeling being on a horse in deep water or boggy conditions, especially if the rider doesn't know how to swim.

In a show on RFD the other night, Cody Lambert and his good grey horse got in trouble while trying to cross a boggy water course. The horse went clear down, and Cody had to hold its nose above water for a little bit. Finally the grey was able to flounder back to solid footing.

The frost is clear out of our ground at this time, which is highly unusual in January. It is making it difficult to get to some of the distant stackyards because normal crossings are too wet to use.

Very very sorry to hear about your mare, hope she makes it. Keep us posted.

Greg, sorry to hear about your filly. It's always something.

AS always she fought the good fight-she finally got up at 3'00 A'M but her temperature still wouldn't register. In her struggles she twisted something inside and we lost her to colic at 8'30 this A'M. I don't know how Megan and Ty are going to take this-we have a whole pasture full of horses but she was more like a member of the family-we've all spent 100's of hours and many miles on her back-no matter what she gave all she had. No matter flood,blizzard or BSE I always had my little bay mare.

Branding087.jpg

'Hopsing' (1989-2006)

Northern Rancher, and family---

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend Hopsing. I wish I could do something to make it better---I'll keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers....I can only imagine your pain, as it's gut wrenching to me

Hang in there---

TTB :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

I am so sorry in your loss. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Yes I pray over animals since they very important to us. They teach us so much.
I know one day you will be able to look back and remember with a smile.
Till then know yall are in many peoples thoughts.

I am sorry for your loss NR. Keep your head up and you and yours will be bonded stronger as you take this loss together. It will be spring before you know it.

NR I belive it works both ways, I think your mare had a privilege to be able to live with the care and love of a family that would bring out her full potential, that can only happen when she has total respect and love from you and family.

Thank you all soo much-we always said she'd live out her days here but not quite like this-it's gonna be tough on the kids not looking forward to the schoolbus pulling in.

Latest posts