• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Terrible early October 2013 blizzard

Help Support Ranchers.net:

That's tough to read. My thoughts and prayers go out to those folks. My cattle are part of my family. I can only imagine the heartache.

:cry2: :cry2: :cry2: for the people and their livestock.

I've heard that a lot of horses, broodmare bands, etc have suffered great loss. And there's nothing anyone can do to make it any less devastating. :cry:

Thanks for the report from the Rapid City Journal, Soap.
Maybe a fund will be set up for the ranchers sustaining losses.

tough read and even tougher to imagine the inner strength needed to cleanup the dead stock and care for the survivors.

I heard of one incident where a rancher weaned 22 colts a few days ago. 20 of them perished in the storm. Sad sad deal.

A friend from Martin, SD helped us work cattle today. He had a nice two-year-old filly that had been purchased as a weanling. His son had the filly handling very well. She had access to a shed, but still died during the storm.

Soapweed said:
I heard of one incident where a rancher weaned 22 colts a few days ago. 20 of them perished in the storm. Sad sad deal.

A friend from Martin, SD helped us work cattle today. He had a nice two-year-old filly that had been purchased as a weanling. His son had the filly handling very well. She had access to a shed, but still died during the storm.

In 1973 we experienced a terrible spring storm in Wyoming. Lots of snow and 98 mph winds for 3 days. Some people had a young filly of similar age in a shed. They went to check on her and she was just about to go down. The wind had blown so much snow into the cracks on the shed, that it blocked any air from entering and she was just about
flat out of oxygen. That may be what happened to your friends filly.

So sad.

Hell hath no fury compared to a northern plains blizzard, but the Herefords survived it.

I am not even sure what to say, but I will give you an update. 2-4 inches of rain at 40 degrees and dropping until it started to snow. Anywhere from a foot to 4 feet of snow, the heavy wet kind. The whole time the wind was from 40-60. Lasted all of 2+ days. We hadn't even had a frost yet. A week ago it was 90 degrees and with the fall moisture there was some green grass. Cattle didn't have the winter hair and most were still is summer pasture. With the rain first it really didn't matter. I moved some to winter pasture and they drifted to the fence anyway. There is also a lot of crop left in the field and the trees did all have the leaves. Now most leaves don't have trees.

ses are devastating. I was on the Eastern edge. East of me the losses were minimal. Close by here they will average 10-20%. North and West,,,,,,,?????????? I know of cattle that drifted 15 miles, dead ones at every fence before they broke through. Every snowbank also. I know of more than one bunch that just walked into a dam because the water was warmer than the air. A couple dams they drifted into and walked across after it was full of deads. There are some that were unlucky and lost over 50% some were lucky and didn't. I herd of a guy that locked his in where he feeds calves all winter and lost 30 crowding in an open shed. I only know of 3 that lost nothing and I am one. Almost feel guilty. I am helping a neighbor tomorrow sort. Every bunch has several owners after the drift. It will be a long and slow process to sort owners. Calves without mothers won't want to go any direction.

I do think the Hereford blood saved me. Thicker hides and less likely to tear things down saved them. My herd bulls were out as open as anything and even though they walked over one fence they just stood it at the next one. Cows and bred heifers just stood it where they were. Not 300 yards from where my cows stood it there was a black bunch drifted to the creek where they couldn't cross and 4 dead there out of 50.

Not sure what else to say, my mind is mush. I am sure the Colorado flood was every bit as bad or worse. Seems like there was somwhee else devastated by sudden death also but we will just do what all our forefathers did, pick ourselves up an keep on. Some will be done and that is too bad. I am sure that will mean more land farmed up but progress will happen. I plan on standing in the way of farming progress as long as possible though.

National media is FINALLY picking up on this economic disaster and i'm sure it will piss the PETA freaks off.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/08/20876196-shutdown-worsens-historic-blizzard-that-killed-tens-of-thousands-of-south-dakota-cattle?lite

Doug Thorson said:
Hell hath no fury compared to a northern plains blizzard, but the Herefords survived it.

I am not even sure what to say, but I will give you an update. 2-4 inches of rain at 40 degrees and dropping until it started to snow. Anywhere from a foot to 4 feet of snow, the heavy wet kind. The whole time the wind was from 40-60. Lasted all of 2+ days. We hadn't even had a frost yet. A week ago it was 90 degrees and with the fall moisture there was some green grass. Cattle didn't have the winter hair and most were still is summer pasture. With the rain first it really didn't matter. I moved some to winter pasture and they drifted to the fence anyway. There is also a lot of crop left in the field and the trees did all have the leaves. Now most leaves don't have trees.

ses are devastating. I was on the Eastern edge. East of me the losses were minimal. Close by here they will average 10-20%. North and West,,,,,,,?????????? I know of cattle that drifted 15 miles, dead ones at every fence before they broke through. Every snowbank also. I know of more than one bunch that just walked into a dam because the water was warmer than the air. A couple dams they drifted into and walked across after it was full of deads. There are some that were unlucky and lost over 50% some were lucky and didn't. I herd of a guy that locked his in where he feeds calves all winter and lost 30 crowding in an open shed. I only know of 3 that lost nothing and I am one. Almost feel guilty. I am helping a neighbor tomorrow sort. Every bunch has several owners after the drift. It will be a long and slow process to sort owners. Calves without mothers won't want to go any direction.

I do think the Hereford blood saved me. Thicker hides and less likely to tear things down saved them. My herd bulls were out as open as anything and even though they walked over one fence they just stood it at the next one. Cows and bred heifers just stood it where they were. Not 300 yards from where my cows stood it there was a black bunch drifted to the creek where they couldn't cross and 4 dead there out of 50.

Not sure what else to say, my mind is mush. I am sure the Colorado flood was every bit as bad or worse. Seems like there was somwhee else devastated by sudden death also but we will just do what all our forefathers did, pick ourselves up an keep on. Some will be done and that is too bad. I am sure that will mean more land farmed up but progress will happen. I plan on standing in the way of farming progress as long as possible though.

If you know of anyone needing help sorting, or gathering things back up, shoot me a pm. We have some pretty good horses, and sure would like to help where its needed.

Thanks, most of the sorting is done around here but to the North it is just beginning. Losses up there are brutal. Check out the post I put under perseverance.

I have gone through this 4 years ago. All bet it my cows had there winter coat. We had 5 feet of snow on my winter range. I was riding my horse with snow drifts hitting me in my knees. I dug cattle out for 10 days. I know the heartbreak. I know this is much bigger and affected a lot more cattle. It's draining on the mind. I lost a lot of good cows. But it could have been worse. And I survived. And so will these ranchers. If anyone can survive such an ordeal it is a rancher. I've sent in my donation and I pray for the stock and the families. The Lord only gives us challenges we can deal with. This is a hell of a challenge. But the good will of good people will prevail. With or without government help.

garn said:
National media is FINALLY picking up on this economic disaster and i'm sure it will p*** the PETA freaks off.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/08/20876196-shutdown-worsens-historic-blizzard-that-killed-tens-of-thousands-of-south-dakota-cattle?lite

Did you take time to read the idiotic comments that followed?
We need to go there and give them some real facts. It's unbelievable
what people don't understand about livestock, insurance, government and
farmers and ranchers. :x

Latest posts