• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Terrible tragedy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
(Neb.)-Hotz, Jury Members Wipe Away Tears During Murder Trial

By: Chad Franzen Posted at: 11/03/2009 05:16 PM

Former Chadron police Sgt. Sean Banzhaff was the first afternoon witness, Tuesday, in the murder trial of Joseph Hotz. Hutz is charged with killing his former roommate, 22-year-old- Kenneth Pfeiffer, in Chadron last December. Banzhaff was one of the arresting officers.

Banzhaff, who leads a ministry group on Tuesday nights at Chadron State College, said he recognized Hotz because Hotz had attended the group off-and-on between October and December.

Banzhaff said, because of their prior interaction, the two were on a first name basis with each other. He testified that when he and Sgt. Michael Loutzenhiser found Hotz he was covered in blood.

According to Banzhaff, they asked Hotz, "Where did the blood come from?"

He said Hotz told him, "From my roommate, and I believe an older gentleman."

The "older gentleman" is Rolland Sayer, who Hotz allegedly tried to rob at knifepoint shortly after stabbing Pfeiffer as many as 51 times.

Banzhaff said he then asked Hotz, "Joe, where's your roommate now?"

Hotz responded, according to Banzhaff, by saying, "My roommate is dead. I believe I killed him."

Prosecutors then played a tape from when Hotz was placed in the back of a police car. On the tape Hotz could be heard screaming for help from his parents and friends.

At one point, on the tape, he said, "Oh my God, it's all real now."

Other times, on the tape, he said: "I pray that Kenny's alright." and "What did I do? Oh my gosh!" and "I am so confused right now, I need some help!"

He also could often be heard praying for mercy and guidance. He said he is a sinner, and that Christ saved him. He thanked God for all he had done for him.

While the tape played, Hotz often looked down, or placed his face in his hands, wiped away tears, or placed his head in his arms on the table in front of him.

Also, while the tape played, some jury members were seen wiping away tears.

Chadron police Lt. Rick Hickstein also testified regarding the circumstances in the house where Pfeiffer was found dead. Among photos shown during his testimony were one of Pfeiffer lying on the floor in an area saturated with blood, one of a bloody black cell phone, one of mushroom spore syringes inside the refrigerator, and one of marijuana related items in the living room.
The trial continues at 9 am on Wednesday.
(Questions, comments? E-mail [email protected])

That Holtz Character sounds like he is schizophrenic or something! Awfull story and I feel for the families involved. I've delt with schizophrenic people and they aren't fun.....It is sad that most cases of it end tragically. Let us know what transpires Soapweed...

Seems I heard about this when it happened, but this is the first I heard about it going to trial...wow...keep the board posted please, I'm interested in how it turns out.

Sad for the families involved and then unimaginable grief they feel...maybe closure of some sort will come for them through this.

(Neb.)-Jury Hears Hotz's Interviews with State Patrol Investigator

By: Chad Franzen Posted at: 11/04/2009 05:46 PM

CHADRON, Nebraska - Joseph Hotz said, in an interview with a police investigator, shortly after the death of his former Chadron State roommate Kenneth Pfeiffer, that he was "weirded out" when Pfeiffer kept saying his name and asking him to go somewhere. He said he felt his life was in danger, during a drug induced hallucination, and said that since Pfeiffer was bigger than him, he needed a weapon. He then said he stabbed Pfeiffer, and then stabbed him again.

Sgt. Monica Bartling, with the State Patrol, testified at Hotz's murder trial this afternoon that she interviewed Hotz at about 10 p.m., on December 5, 2008, the night of the alleged murder, and then interviewed him again at 5:56 a.m. the next morning.

Prosecutors played tapes of both interviews for the jury this afternoon.

In the interviews, Hotz told Bartling that he and Pfeiffer had consumed hallucinogenic mushrooms and smoked some marijuana around 4 p.m.

Shortly after that, he said felt insignificant, depressed, and feared death. He said he was frustrated at his inability to find meaning or purpose in life. He said he began to think that the drugs and college were part of an elaborate plan to get him away from his safety.

During this time, Hotz said Pfeiffer was persistently wanting him to go somewhere, and touching him. He said he was terrified that Pfeiffer kept touching him, and that he didn't like to be touched. Hotz said he just wanted to be alone, so he went into his room, and locked the door, but that Pfeiffer broke the door down.

Hotz said he got a dagger held it in a way to threaten Pfeiffer, but it "didn't have the desired effect," and said he ended up stabbing Pfeiffer in the arm soon after that. He then thought Pfeiffer was going to kill him as a result. He said he thought Pfeiffer may have had a gun at the time, although he likely did not.

He said Pfeiffer continued to come toward him and say his name. He said ended up straddling Pfeiffer at one point. Hotz said he stabbed Pfeiffer once in the head, and then stabbed him many more times, and said he had to make sure he was dead.

He said he "can't believe I did that," but that he's always known that, under the right circumstances, everyone is capable of doing things they can't imagine.

Hotz told Bartling he often feared, during his life, something like this would happen. He said he feared some day he would be having a normal conversation with someone and then would lash out and do something violent against them.

He said this was his third time using hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Bartling said she was unaware as to whether Hotz had ever requested or spoken to an attorney during, or in between, her two interviews with him.
Testimony continues Thursday at 9 a.m.
(Questions or comments? E-mail [email protected])

(Neb.)-Hotz Trial: Rolland Sayer Describes Intrusion, State Rests

By: Chad Franzen Posted at: 11/05/2009 03:00 PM
CHADRON, Nebraska - Chadron residents Nancy and Rolland Sayer were among the witnesses to testify, Thursday, at the Dawes County Courthouse, in the murder trial of Joseph Hotz. Hotz is accused of killing his former Chadron State College roommate, Kenneth Pfeiffer.

The Sayers, who estimated that they have lived at 833 King St. for about 43 years, said they had their Friday routine of going out for dinner interrupted by an intruder on the night of Dec. 5, 2008 (the night of the alleged murder).

Nancy Sayer said she had been sitting on her living room recliner, watching TV, waiting for her husband to shower and shave, around 6 pm that night, when she heard the door to her front porch open. She assumed that it was her grandson coming home from basketball practice.

After it seemed longer than usual for her grandson to enter the house, she said she looked out and realized it was not her grandson. She said it was a man carrying two knives, and described him as looking similar to Hotz.

She said he walked past her and into the kitchen. She said she then went outside, thinking that she would seek help, but realized the intruder was right behind her. She said he then turned around and went back inside.

She said she did not think she would be able to make it to the neighbor's house before being caught by the intruder, so she said she hid in her van parked in the driveway. She said, while in the van, she kept repeating, "God help me."

Rolland Sayer said he had showered and was just finishing his shave when he heard and unusual noise. He said he called for his wife, but got no response.

He said he put on his boxer shorts and pushed the bathroom door open, but was blocked by a man holding two knives. Sayer said he saw what he thought was blood on the man's shirt. He said he could not identify the man because he was focused solely on the knives.

Sayer said the man told him, "I want all your weapons!" He said he told the man, "I have no weapons."

Sayer said the man responded by saying, "I want all your possessions!" Sayer said he told him, "I have no possessions."

Sayer said the man told him, "I am going to kill you." Sayer also said, "I was at his mercy."

Sayer said the man was holding the knives up near his head, and they were pointed down. He said he reached out and touched the man's right hand.

He said the man grabbed the Sayers' cordless phone and dropped it in front of the bathroom door. Sayer said he grabbed the phone, shut the bathroom door and barricaded himself inside the bathroom.

He said the man started stabbing through the door with a knife, and screaming. The damaged door was shown to the jury as evidence.

Sayer said he then called 911, and told the dispatcher he needed help immediately.

The Chadron dispatcher, Patty Howard, also testified.

During Howard's testimony, prosecutors played a recording of Rolland Sayer's 911 call. On the recording, as the phone was ringing, shouting could heard in the background,. Howard testified that her interpretation of some of the words, being shouted were, "Now, give me the keys to your car! Give me the (expletive)-ing …"

Rolland Sayer said, eventually, the knife had stopped coming through the door, and he came out of the bathroom. He said, at that time, the man was gone. He said he saw his wife at the front door of the house, and called authorities to let them know everyone had been accounted for.

Nancy Sayer testified that she stayed in her van until she saw the intruder leave the house, walk up the street, and turn left on 8th street. At that time, she said she saw a police car. She said, when she came back into the house, she was expecting to find "my husband, dead." She then said she heard him on the phone saying, "I don't know where my bike is."

Howard said she received Rolland Sayer's 911 call at 6:11 p.m. on Dec. 5. She said she also received a 911 call at 6:08 p.m. that same night from Chadron resident Susan Jensen, who lives at 845 King St.

Jensen testified that she called police because she thought someone was trying to break into her house. She said she heard a bang against her front door. She said the bang cracked the door, and that a "man put his hand, or something else" through a window which was part of the door.

Jensen said she looked out the window and saw "a man with a crazy look in his eye." She said when the man broke the window, it caused her to get glass in her hair. She said he soon left and, to her knowledge, never entered her house.

Sgt. Jarvis Wallage, of the Chadron police department testified regarding blood stains left on, and damage done to, the Sayers' house.

State Patrolman David Kleensang made a return appearance to the stand, saying he found blood stains on the door of the van in which Nancy Sayer had been hiding. Prosecutors say DNA tests showed the blood belonged to Joseph Hotz.

Kleensang said he later found two additional knives and two handguns in Hotz's bedroom.

The first witness to testify, Thursday, was Trooper Mark Van Horn, a drug recognition expert with the State Patrol. Jurors saw a recorded interview between Hotz and Van Horn, where Hotz told Van Horn that he and Pfeiffer had consumed 1/8 of an ounce of hallucinogenic mushrooms and smoked about two marijuana bowls.

Van Horn said, based on his tests and interview with Hotz, that Hotz he concluded that Hotz had, in fact, been using marijuana and hallucinogenic mushrooms. He also said, based on his experience, 1/8 of an ounce is considered a large dose of hallucinogenic mushrooms.

The state rested its case shortly after 1 pm on Thursday.

Defense witnesses, on Thursday, were Chadron State College student Jovan Mays and Hotz's brother, Lucas Hotz.

Mays testified that he had been at Hotz and Pfeiffer's residence earlier in the day. He said he talked with Hotz about philosophy and school, as Hotz rolled tobacco cigarettes. He described Hotz as calm and cool, during that time, and did not appear anxious or intoxicated.

Lucas Hotz testified that, on July 4, 2008, he consumed hallucinogenic mushrooms with Hotz and Pfeiffer. He said the three of them then watched fireworks and looked at the stars. He said Hotz did not behave hysterically or bizarre on that occasion.

Lucas Hotz also said the effects of the mushrooms made the stars seem to move, and the fireworks seem more explosive. He agreed with prosecuting attorney, Doug Warner, that reality was altered by the mushrooms.

The defense plans to have doctors testify at 9 am on Friday.

(Neb.)-Hotz Trial: Jury in Deliberation, Insanity Plea not Viable

By: Chad Franzen Posted at: 11/06/2009 05:33 PM

CHADRON, Nebraska - The jury is now deliberating in the murder trial of Joseph Hotz, who is accused of killing his former Chadron State College roommate, Kenneth Pfeiffer.

Defense attorney Jeff Pickens told the jury, in his closing argument, that Hotz was psychotic and delirious because of drugs. He said, as a result, he could not form intent, and make rational decisions. Pickens said, as a result, Hotz should be found not guilty on all charges.

Prosecutor Doug Warner told the jury that whether Hotz was high on drugs was irrelevant. Warner said it was voluntary intoxication, not mental illness. Warner said it was not the state's responsibility to prove whether Hotz was rational. Warner said Hotz's intent was to "protect himself from his imagination," and said the way to do that was to kill.

Pickens was unable to rely on an insanity defense for Hotz, because of a decision made by Judge Brian Silverman this morning.

The defense called Dr. Daniel Wilson, the head of psychiatry at Creighton University, to the stand, so he could testify as to Hotz's medical condition, on Dec. 5, 2008, the night of the incident.

Wilson said he is Board Certified in forensic psychiatry. He said he has previously been the chief medical officer at the State Hospital in Ohio, where he estimated that 99% of the patients had been forensic patients. He has been involved in forensic evaluations for an estimated 20-25 years.

Dr. Wilson said he evaluated Hotz in May, 2009. He said Hotz, based on his evaluation, met the criteria for hallucinogen induced psychotic disorder and hallucinogen induced delirium, on Dec. 5, 2008.

When Pickens, asked Wilson if, in Wilson's professional opinion, Hotz's ability to determine right from wrong may have been impaired due to the hallucinogen induced psychosis and delirium, Warner objected to the question.

Judge Silverman sustained the objection, saying it wasn't relevant under state law.

After a brief meeting between the judge and the two attorneys, Pickens then asked Wilson a similar question. Warner again objected, and Judge Silverman again sustained the objection.

As a result, insanity was not a viable plea.

After a brief cross-examination, between Warner and Wilson, the prosecution decided it was not necessary to call any further witnesses to the stand, in order to refute Wilson's testimony.

Hotz faces charges of first degree murder, use of a deadly weapon, making terrorist threats and attempted robbery.

If the jury has not concluded deliberation by 9 p.m. tonight, it will reconvene either Saturday or Monday morning. Judge Silverman said it was their choice.

(Neb.)-Jury Finds Hotz Guilty of Second Degree Murder

By: Chad Franzen Posted at: 11/09/2009 03:19 PM

A Dawes County jury found Joseph Hotz guilty of second degree murder, and five other charges, in a verdict announced at about 2 p.m. this afternoon.

Hotz, who stabbed his former Chadron State roommate, Kenneth Pfeiffer, to death on Dec. 5, 2008, had been charged with first degree murder, but the jury decided on second degree murder, meaning the jury decided Hotz killed Pfeiffer intentionally, but without premeditation. First degree murder is intentional and premeditated.

The jury also found Hotz guilty on one count of attempted second degree murder, three counts of use of a deadly weapon to commit a felony and one count of making terroristic threats. Hotz was found not guilty on one count of attempted robbery and on one count of use of a deadly weapon to commit a felony.

Hotz faces 35 years to life in prison. Second degree murder carries a penalty of 20 years to life in prison. Attempted second degree murder carries a maximum of 50 years in prison. The counts of use of a weapon carry maximums of 20 years. Making terroristic threats carries a maximum of 5 years in prison. The three weapons counts also have five year mandatory minimums that must be served consecutive to any other sentence.

Judge Brian Silverman will sentence Hotz on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 1:30 p.m.

Following the announcement of the verdict, State prosecutor Vance Haug said, "The state respects the jury's verdict in this case. This has been a lengthy trial, a difficult trial. We believe the jury gave due consideration to this case. Nothing will bring Kenneth Pfeiffer back but, legally, we believe justice has been served."

As for Hotz's failed insanity plea, Haug said the state was, "not surprised. It has been the State's theory that this has been a voluntary intoxication case. Mr. Hotz voluntarily ingested mushrooms. He is not now, nor has he ever been, insane."
Hotz did not visibly react to announcement of the verdict. As he exited the courtroom, an woman seated among his friends and family shouted, "I love you, Joey!"
(Questions or comments? E-mail [email protected]

This is such a terribly sad story. We are friends of the Hotz (pronounced: Huts) family but have never met this son, Joseph. I want all to know that this is a good family, as good as any in our community. The two sons that we know are as good of kids as you'll ever find. One has coached two of my boys. The other one, a senior in HS, is a very good student, athlete and friend of my sons. He one of the best kids in our school, in my opinion.

From what I've been told, the victim was his room mate and best friend. Those who know Joey have told me that what happened is totally out of character for him. But... that is what drugs do to you. I've told my kids that this is an example of how important CHOICES are in our lives. Choices have concequences and now he is paying for this terrible mistake.

My heart goes out to the Hotz family and their friends. They are living through unimaginable pain for their son.

Prayers to the Pfeiffer family..... and to the Hotz family, as well!! I cannot imagine how either family feels right now.....one family lost a loved one they will never see again (at least not in THIS lifetime) and another lost one to prison!! so very tragic....... :cry: :cry:

Latest posts