• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tetanus shots..

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Gcreekrch got me thinking about this on his last post about the choking cow.

How many of you actually have your tetanus shots up to date ?

I haven't had a tetanus shot since college and hubby's last one was when he was in the marines 25 years ago until a few months ago when he cut his head open.

I get cut up pretty bad sometimes when I have to tube the odd calf ,from their sharp teeth. As well as the countless times I have been gashed on arms, legs and hands by barb wire.

Never had a problem so far, but maybe am pushing my luck.

I considered it the other day when I stepped on a piece of rusty wire that pierced the heel of my brand new rubber boots right into my heel. So far so good without it though. :oops:

Had mine just this year...they say they are good for 10 yrs at a time. I do some climate control work and am always getting my hands cut up by the duct work and radiator fins. I decided it is a good thing to do...if caught right away, tetanus can be cured...but takes a lot of time and pain (muscle contraction) if you search it online there are some pretty graphic pics! I would say that the shot outways what could happen. They also say that if you do a lot of mechanicing or something that you have your hands dinged up and dirty, your body builds a natural immunity to tetanus. I would still say its better to stay on the safe side!!

I think I'm over by a few years or due this year. What I mean by that is that I get mine one the even decade ('80, '90, 2000, 2010, etc.) or on the 5's. But I can't remember which!

Is there a vaccine for memory loss? :?

I figured since I always bleed like a stuck pig that the wound has to be cleaned out.. :lol:

I have a few stops at the emergency room or the clinic every few years but it is usually only for fractures or broken ribs and you don't need a tetanus shot for those. :wink:

My pets are all up to date as well as my horses.. Maybe I should get Dr U to do us as well the next time he is out.. 8)

One time I figured it would be a good idea to get a Tetanus shot just as a preventative. Every time I told some one at the hospital that I was there to get a Tetanus shot they asked "What Happened", I had to keep telling them nothing it was for just in case something did. Trimming horses feet is a good way to get a bad case. :shock:

Last spring when I stepped on a piece of wire and drove it into the arch of my foot.

It had been awhile before that.

burnt said:
I think I'm over by a few years or due this year. What I mean by that is that I get mine one the even decade ('80, '90, 2000, 2010, etc.) or on the 5's. But I can't remember which!

Is there a vaccine for memory loss? :?

Nope, not a vaccine, but there is a patch!! :lol:

Latest posts