• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Texas is Windiest State

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Hey Haymaker- why does this not surprise me ? :wink: :p :lol:

U.S. Wind Resource Even Larger Than Previously Estimated: Government Assessment
Friday, February 19th 2010
Montana Wind Potential Three Times Larger

The American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) today issued the following statement from AWEA CEO Denise Bode on a new assessment from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory showing that U.S. wind resources are larger than previously estimated:

"This new analysis confirms that America is blessed with vast wind resources that can energize our economy, create jobs, and avoid carbon for years to come---if we give ourselves the policy tools to do so, including a strong national Renewable Electricity Standard with aggressive, binding near- and long-term targets. A national Renewable Electricity Standard would not only ensure that we tap our nation's vast wind resources, but create thousands of new American jobs today, manufacturing the 8,000 component parts that go into a modern wind turbine. The wind resource is there, vast and inexhaustible, waiting for us. Meanwhile, the economy can't wait, job creation can't wait, and America can't wait. We need Congress to act now and pass a comprehensive climate and energy bill that includes a strong national Renewable Electricity Standard."

Highlights of the new analysis include:

· Onshore U.S. wind resources could generate nearly 37,000,000 gigawatt-hours (GWh) annually, more than nine times current total U.S. electricity consumption.
· Put another way, the potential capacity of America's onshore wind resource is over 10,000 gigawatts (GW). The U.S. is barely tapping this vast resource: current wind installed capacity is 35 GW in the U.S. and 158 GW world-wide.
· Montana's generation potential is now estimated at 3,228,620 GWh, up from 1,020,000 GWh.
· These larger estimates are due to improved wind turbine technology, as today's taller turbines tap better winds at higher elevations (this study measured winds at 80 meters), and to more refined wind measurements. The previous national government survey of U.S. wind resources, carried out by the Pacific Northwest Laboratory, estimated U.S. wind potential at 10,777,000 GWh.
· Within this bigger "pie" of wind resources, the top 10 windiest states are:
§ #1 Texas
§ #2 Kansas
§ #3 Montana
§ #4 Nebraska
§ #5 South Dakota
§ #6 North Dakota
§ #7 Iowa
§ #8 Wyoming
§ #9 Oklahoma
§ #10 New Mexico

o Indiana, Ohio and Oregon move into the top 20 windiest states list for the first time.

· In a single year, the U.S. wind resource potential could produce 364.9 quadrillion btus, the energy equivalent of all proven oil and natural gas reserves in the U.S. as estimated by the Energy Information Administration (EIA). A renewable resource, wind resource will not be depleted and will continue to provide energy year after year.

The new wind resource potential numbers are available at http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/filter_detail.asp?itemid=2542

In 2009, the U.S. wind industry added nearly 10,000 megawatts (MW) of new capacity, enough to power the equivalent of 2.4 million homes or generate as much electricity as three large nuclear power plants. The wind turbine fleet in place at year's end—over 35,000 MW—is enough to power the equivalent of some 9.7 million homes, and that number is increasing at the rate of a million homes every five months.

And we are taking advantage of that wind. Should see them big things they got all over the place. Seen a deal on them in the Sweetwater area.....and they have taken a dead lil town and it's boomin again all because of the windmills.

I'll admit tho, that since moving from West Texas that's one thing I don't miss at all. Wind blowin for 6 to 7 months outta the year at 70mph clip. Brings with it lots of sand......nope don't miss it.

Having driven for years all over 7 of the 10 states, and living in #4 all my life, my vote for #1 would go to Wyoming.

I'd like to know just how they arrived at their conclusions, as Montana and Tejas have more square miles than the others, hence being able to skew the results.

Only about half the state has usable wind. Here's a map that shows the areas that have the most wind.

http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/images/windmaps/tx_80m.jpg

I'm tellin ya'll...I grew up out there. And I ain't kiddin when I say the wind blows 60 and 70 mph day in and day out for months at a time. It's not just when a storms comin thru. It just blows...cuz it can, and their aint nothin out there to stop it.

How many times have I said I am so tired of the wind, sand, no trees, wind, sand, did I say wind?
I will say that its been nice the past couple days only a stiff breeze ...hopefully enough to dry us out hmmm ok gotta melt first :?

Yeah driving through is one thing but stay here a couple days and you get a good dose of the wind. It doesnt stop just slows down a bit to where you dont notice the stiff breeze anymore.

You have to go a bit south to get to the wind farms or farther north. We have too much wind for one of the farms.

Sand in your eyes, sand in your teeth (crunch crunch), legs sandblasted if you are dumb enough to think you should wear shorts. When it rains it rains mud for the first 30 minutes, if it rains that long. Usually it just spits mud and then everything is nasty with it. Blows the sand into your house..thru any crack and crevice there is. Don't know how many times a year we vaccuumed out the window sills, even tho the windows were NEVER opened, there was sand inside.
Wind blowin so hard you can't get out your front door...and if you do manage to get it open...it's yanked outta your hands, then slaps you in the face if you don't get outta the way in time. Can't get into or out of your car because the wind is so strong. Straight skirts were invented for women in west texas.....so that they didn't hafta wear their skirts up around their ears.
There's always a chance you may wake up to find your front door blocked by tumble weeds. Haha unlike snow..you can't shovel them outta the way, and they got stickers on em.

THANK GOD I LIVE IN EAST TEXAS NOW~!!!!!!!!!

Is it me or does anyone else see that Lilly doens't miss West Texas...lol

I was surprised too that Nebraska was #4...course the winds probably got measured on a calm breezy day of only 20mph..lol instead of the 50mph we usually get..lol

Thanks this was intersting.

Kinda surprised to see NM on the list at #10........of course, never lived on the other side of the state since I was knee-high to a short grasshopper, either. We get some wind here in the spring, summer it's nice to find a little breeze.

When we lived in central NM back at the turn of the century (or just after, I should say) there was some serious wind there. Got outta the pickup to chop ice one day in January, and the wind about took the door off the hinges. Never did shut right after that. :lol:

I'm with Lilly, though, and don't care for wind at all.

Have a saying here in NM, though............our wind blows from west to east, cause AZ blows and TX sucks. Didn't come up with that one, so don't shoot the messenger. :oops: :oops: :shock: :lol: :twisted:

Ranchy come up to the eastern corner and it blows LOL hmmm I guess you can say in more than one way ;)

Ya know I need to just suck it up and accept it.......God has been telling me to Bloom where planted...and I keep crying for rain...well I got it, frozen BUT I got it so I need to bloom

MsSage said:
How many times have I said I am so tired of the wind, sand, no trees, wind, sand, did I say wind?
I will say that its been nice the past couple days only a stiff breeze ...hopefully enough to dry us out hmmm ok gotta melt first :?

Yeah driving through is one thing but stay here a couple days and you get a good dose of the wind. It doesnt stop just slows down a bit to where you dont notice the stiff breeze anymore.

You have to go a bit south to get to the wind farms or farther north. We have too much wind for one of the farms.

Back in the early 1980's I was up in NE Montana collecting oil and gas samples for a project for a company called Aminoil. I recall the wind the most. It wore me out after a couple of day. I'd put one thing down to pick up another and the first thing would blow away. :?

I guess its all those damned yankee transplants coming down here,witha canuckle head thrown in the mix,most of em are windy on both ends :D :D :D

PS sorry Miss Tam :D

MsSage said:

That can be as much of a problem as not enough wind. Too much wear and tear on the turbines and less efficiency when you have hard winds.

HAY MAKER said:
I guess its all those damned yankee transplants coming down here,witha canuckle head thrown in the mix,most of em are windy on both ends :D :D :D

It doesn't surprise me at all that You live in the windiest state and Oldtimer lives in one of the others. Do you know how to stop the wind Haymaker? :? Either you stop blowing while Oldtimer stops sucking or the other way around. Either way will work for me but the Secret is you both have to work together on it or it will not work. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Tam said:
HAY MAKER said:

It doesn't surprise me at all that You live in the windiest state and Oldtimer lives in one of the others. Do you know how to stop the wind Haymaker? :? Either you stop blowing while Oldtimer stops sucking or the other way around. Either way will work for me but the Secret is you both have to work together on it or it will not work. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm sounds to me like you are speakin from experience,I always knew you were a naughty Lady :D
good luck

Yes the wind does blow on the eastern side of New Mexico, and blows and blows. I swear its tornado season all year long. Great for my b/f who is in wind energy though. :) Oh he also says that the blades aren't made out of carbon fiber, they are made out of balsa wood and fiber glass. Just a little useless knowledge for those who aren't in wind energy.

I'm wondering if the survey looked only at "favorable" winds. I could be wrong but I think that the turbines only operate over a relatively narrow range of wind speeds (like 10 to 30 mph). Does anyone really know what the survey parameters were?

Latest posts