• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Texas is Windiest State

Help Support Ranchers.net:

lavacarancher said:
I'm wondering if the survey looked only at "favorable" winds. I could be wrong but I think that the turbines only operate over a relatively narrow range of wind speeds (like 10 to 30 mph). Does anyone really know what the survey parameters were?

True..anything slower they don't work...anything faster and it's a waste as it would be beyond the capacity of the turbine to produce additional elec.

TexasBred said:
lavacarancher said:
I'm wondering if the survey looked only at "favorable" winds. I could be wrong but I think that the turbines only operate over a relatively narrow range of wind speeds (like 10 to 30 mph). Does anyone really know what the survey parameters were?

True..anything slower they don't work...anything faster and it's a waste as it would be beyond the capacity of the turbine to produce additional elec.

Different turbines operate at different speeds, on average they work with wind from about 6mph to about 55mph.

Trinity man said:
It maybe windy out west, but here in East Texas it don't blow one bit in the summer. :( I guess all these trees stop it.

your right, theres nothing worse than a 98 degree day with 95% humidity and a heat index of 109 with no wind. Even the horses and cattle wont get out of the rice fields and ponds. im just far enough away from the guld to no catch the breezes

Latest posts