• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Thank You Gary!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleCo

Reaction score
R-CALF Hasn't Learned The Lessons Of History :roll:
The R-CALF folks have been called stupid, arrogant, selfish and outright greedy in most of the farm press. Let me add, "slow learners from history."

Border-state Michigan now has the nation's highest unemployment rate due to major losses in automotive jobs. Here is why it happened:

The car people mistakenly thought "Made in the USA" would overcome all else, even union wage price cars and rust-bucket quality. Hello, Toyota. And, with our big old steel mills and excess capacity car plants, a car company would not want to build a car in Mexico or Canada or Japan or Yugoslavia, would they? They did.

R-CALF, you are about to learn a history lesson. In doing so, you will go down in history as having destroyed part of the future of beef production in this country. What a legacy for your grandchildren. You are selling their future for a couple of short-term bucks per cwt.
Gary Voogt
Michigan

Sandhusker said:
Japan made their money by supplying quality when Detroit was kicking out junk.

True to start with. But thats not the case anymore, and US auto sales are still falling while import sales are rising. I still maintain that the label of origin is not nearly as important to the consumer as the producer thinks it is. The lable that has the biggest influence is the price tag. And that is true in any country, with any product.

Then why do I always hear "location, location, location."

I find it amusing as you guys bad mouth RCalf all the way to low prices.
That is what you are promoting, right? Low prices. That's what your posts are saying.
"WE NEED TO BE THE LOW COST SUPPLIER OR WE WON'T BE SELLING OUR PRODUCT."

What a great motto.

chief, are they promoting low prices for cattle, or low cost operators of ranches? There is a difference! There are ranchers who are low cost operators who were making a profit before the current high prices, according to stories in ag media.

It seems especially hard, when prices are high, to remember the difference between real needs and the "would be nice" improvements on ranches.

MRJ

Show me one person on here that has promoted lower prices. Many people have pointed out the fact that the average consumer will choose on price not quality.
Most people don't really care were there food comes from as long as it is good, safe and affordable. And just because it comes from the USA doesn't mean it is safer, or better than Canada. So it comes down to price.
There are people that choose on the quality and not price and we need to get more people to do that, but the low income households only have so much to spend so they will chose on price. So the moral of the story is that there is a market for different types and quilitys of beef.

Sandhusker said:
Japan made their money by supplying quality when Detroit was kicking out junk.

Yes and the safeguards that Canada has in place surrounding the producing and processing of beef and the record we have with compliance verses those the US beef industry have, this is Apples to Apples. Canada supplys beef that is produced to a higher standard than the US beef. I.E. feed ban restrictions and processing restrictions. And if the USDA ever does come clean on the testing your beef may be considered junk in the eyes of your consumers. And it will have a big "Product of the USA" label on it just like the cars Detroit was putting out.

Tam, what makes you an expert on how your processing plants comply? Have you ever watched day to day operations in the plants? The very same Us plants that are not complying (according to your statement) also own and operate plants in Canada. Why wouldn't they try to bend the rules in Canada as they do in the US?

feeder said:
Tam, what makes you an expert on how your processing plants comply? Have you ever watched day to day operations in the plants? The very same Us plants that are not complying (according to your statement) also own and operate plants in Canada. Why wouldn't they try to bend the rules in Canada as they do in the US?

Who said I was an expert. Did I have to be on every farm and ranch in Canada when we turned over the 23,550 head of 4D cattle to be tested in 2004 so I could believe that we did the testing? Do I have to be in every feed mill in Canda to see for myself that the CFIA records of compliance are what they say they are. I believe what I read in the media as long as it is backed up by some facts. But more importantly I believe what we don't see in the media is just as important. We do not see reports of our government trying to hide the fact they don't have complance while a government investigation show you have big problems with it. We don't see reports for former governemt vets saying we are cheating on the testing and have been for years. We don't have reports of inspectors claiming non compliance to the SRM rules and the OTM export rules. Canada has been very open and we haven't see anything like what we see coming out of the US.

Why wouldn't they try to bend the rules in Canada as they do in the US?[/

Maybe you should look at what happen to the inspectors that turned in the non compliant slaughter house in the US and ask yourself will the inspectors that rely on the USDA for their paycheck be willing to report another compliance violation if they are threatened with dismissal and possible charges. Why do you think that the USDA vets that we are hearing from now are FORMER. Just how many more former USDA employees will we be hearing from in ten years when they don't have to rely on the USDA for a paycheck.

Yep Tam, I think you should be in every feed mill, packing plant, and gov't office so you can make an absolute, truthful blanket statement about your business dealings. Not always what we read and backed up with a few facts is always gospel truth overall.

"I find it amusing as you guys bad mouth RCalf all the way to low prices.
That is what you are promoting, right? Low prices. That's what your posts are saying.
"WE NEED TO BE THE LOW COST SUPPLIER OR WE WON'T BE SELLING OUR PRODUCT."

What a great motto."

I think the take home message here is...........Quality is important, cost of production is important,( haven't the University guru's been preaching "low cost producer" for God knows how long? AND PRICE IS IMPORTANT!!! Let's get real the problem in the cattle feeding industry is not feed cost......it is the price of feeder cattle!!! :roll: I am sorry but a buck fifty 5 wt calves and 1400-1600+ pairs are a BIG GAMBLE! Were a weather market away from 3 dollar++++Corn and 9 dollar++ Soybeans. Get real folks! I forgot to mention our good ole economy is about to take a dump! Keeping the Canadian BOrder closed is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of .....other than paying the cattle prices I mentioned earlier. Hell, were downsizing the auto industry, we might as well down size the agriculture deal too. Sorry kids, you better go to town and get a job at Wally World!

Latest posts