• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Thank you to veterans

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I am a veteran - I served three years at the end of the Korean Conflict period
and before the Vietnam war. In those days, all males who were healthy were subject to the draft
and most actually served.

I spent just over two years on the East German Frontier and eventually returned to civilian life no worse for the wear.
I went to college on the GI Bill and had a successful business career. I have never felt that I did anything special - just my
duty as an American.

Now, no one needs to serve unless they want to and that is OK. I have a son who is a retired Marine and a grandson who
is currently on active duty as a marine officer. They didn't have to serve, but did. I feel they deserve more thanks
than I do.

Those who served in Vietnam especially deserve our thanks because it was a hard fought war and they were treated
poorly when they returned. I feel they were truly the greatest generation.

Anyway, thanks to all who served honorable under honorable conditions.

CP

Adding my thanks to Veterans who gave years of their lives in service to our nation, I appreciate the variety, intensity, and danger of the various ways you have served!

Our immediate family has only a son-in-law as recent Veterans, and he serves again as a civilian employee on the base he retired from after 23 years' service. But among cousins I have/had several who served in various services, including in Vietnam and all that entails.
We also have several sons of that generation currently serving in various services, including Special Services or Forces (not being sure of the term). I don't know who they are, or where they are, and want to keep it that way for the safety of their families. We keep all servicemen and their families in our prayers both as families and members of a local church.

It also seems to me, with memories going back to the mid-1940's of local celebrations of both Veterans Day and Memorial Day honoring of Veterans, that the focus has probably been more on celebrating lives of those who didn't survive. As about an eight year old child suffering greatly from stage fright, I probably did not do justice to the poem I attempted to recite to honor my grandma Calhoon as a Gold Star Mother for the loss of my youngest uncle while flying his fighter plane in the area of Hawaii on a training flight. I think it was unknown whether it was an accident of enemy fire which crashed his plane. My grandpa C. was particularly devastated, as that late arriving, youngest 'bonus' son was the one most likely to stay on the ranch according to his sister.

All that generation is now gone from our family. She and another sister worked for the military as stenographers during part of the war and as peace was being established in Europe. When the war ended, sirens blew, and church bells rang out in all our small towns. I was asleep in the car and my grandpa had stopped it and literally ran into the Stroppel Hotel (still in business in Midland, SD) to ask if it were really true, when all those sirens and bells began sounding the news started. At age not quite five years, and very fearful of 'war talk', I was certain the war had come to my little world comprised of Midland and the Calhoon Ranch ten miles from 'town'. So when grandpa came back to the car so excited and thankful and jubilant that "the war is over!", there I was, bawling my eyes out.

The communities in western SD still have good celebrations of our military, both at Memorial Day and with a more social, less ceremonial community soup supper and time of visiting at the Am. Legion Hall on the evening of Veterans Day. I plan to be there tonight to celebrate with local Veterans.

mrj

Many thanks from our family to all who have served our nation! :clap: :clap: :clap:

We attended a Veterans day program and spaghetti supper last night in Eureka, Utah where our kids go to school. The elementary kids sang songs and waved flags and did a banner job of honoring all the veterans in attendance. It was simply awesome! Small town America is sure special, but I may be a tad bit prejudiced. :wink:

Latest posts