• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Thanks Genex

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
I just found out today that they aren't renewing my contract-guess my cancereous old a.. didn't sell enough semen last little while-it might be my habit of calling them as I see them on some of the bulls I was supposed to merchandize-I've been an A'I rep for twenty years so not sure just what I'm going to do. I might just sell some private owner bulls for people-there are a few I know of are probably more practical for my customer base. I never did really hook into their philosophy after they bought out Alta so I guess not the end of the world-still a bit of a shock. I've got a couple really p'o'ed customers when they heard the news-still some people like an honest opinion of genetics not the company line lol. Still going to be arming cows once I get this pic line out-baby still needs shoes lol.

i worked for Genex while i was in college on the one right off of LSUs campus. That place rubbed me the wrong way from the day i started my job. They were always dropping contracts and starting new ones with whatever "cow fad" was going on down here. Never did sit too well with me.

There fools Nr......It's there loss..... I guarentee ya they will realize they made a big mistake....

When one door closes another opens.........Seen it a hundred times...

Bye the way I'm checking my mailbox and I ain't seen nothing yet from you.... Didn't you say you were sending me something????

Prolly moose poop... :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

It's game on now lol. Katrina pm me your addy-Ty has ben working on it-I was doing the envelopes and I didn't write down who we'd mailed too-my bad. I'll get it together and send it out. I'm getting oldtimers disease-jkin' Dick. I'd never send moose poop to a lady unless she sent it first.

Hell of a deal NR-sucks when they don't recognize the years you've put in- and stick behind you...Makes it hard to ride for the brand- when the brand has big flaws in it...
Kind of reminds me of the folks down here that have been brand inspectors for 20-30-40+ years- when on New Years Eve all the local brand inspectors (out of the blue with no warning) got a letter in the mail from the Compliance Officer of the State Dept of Labor-- that said they had ruled that all Deputy Livestock Inspectors now qualify as state contract laborers- and were going to have to purchase Workmans comp insurance within 10 days or face a $1,000 a day fine...
From what I've found so far- a basic policy could run $500 a year just to write up-plus more for each time you work... Even filing for an exemption costs $125- plus reams of paperwork (and you might not get it)... Several local inspectors I've talked to said that after gas and expenses- they don't earn enough in a year anyway to afford the added expense/paperwork-- so are talking of just turning in their books and quitting ... Which means during the rush times of shipping when its hard to find an inspector already- it might be impossible...

Apparently the Dept. of Livestock is trying to get the Guv and state boys to work something out- but if they don't- it will mean less service- or they will have to hire more paid state employees- or raise inspection fees to where it pays for the additional local inspectors cost..

If they didn't have a deal by Jan 10th- they would have had my inspection books and ID- which I've had since 1975-- but the District man called me yesterday- and said there was so much screaming in Helena that they've held off on their ruling- and might let the Legislature decide what to do...

OK - so I was chatting with my wife on Skype a few minutes ago about this.

What happens to the semen?

The bull is dead and we want more - if only on speculation.

Are you holding any?

Will you hold some for me if you are?

I will be back in Canada in July and will want it then - as for shipping no probs - we can bear the additional costs - just want to know where it is going from here my friend

Cheers

BC

Hey NR,

Sorry to hear about losing your contract, I used a few straws of Lad last year and am thinking about buying some more. How can I get some?

Northern Rancher said:
Are you talking Lad semen-let me know how much you want and I'll get it gathered up for you.

Yes - Lad

You grab me another 15 - 20 straws and when I am back in Canada I will collect them from you

And thanks

BC

katrina said:
There fools Nr......It's there loss..... I guarentee ya they will realize they made a big mistake....

When one door closes another opens.........Seen it a hundred times...

Prolly moose poop... :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Well its not just happening to you, myself included, one of the top sales reps in the west and they are doing it to others to.

Just think you'll never have to apologize for a bad footed SAV bull again-not sure what they're thinking but then I never did hiotch real well with the outfit.

Northern Rancher said:
Just think you'll never have to apologize for a bad footed SAV bull again-not sure what they're thinking but then I never did hiotch real well with the outfit.
Sure glad I never got on the SAV bandwagon. Damn sure won't now! :roll:
I know those people and the BIL that works for Genex. I seen a connection this spring I didn't like, and confirmed it this fall! Not likin' what I saw! :???:
Best of luck NR, maybe another company will pick ya up! 8)

I went to college a few miles from their facility, surprising that when a bull "runs out" and they don't kill him, they use him for a mount. What a crappy way to live retirement.

Anyway, we live in one of those parts of the country where farms that use their service are getting further apart, our breeder/saleswomen was essentially laid off from CRI/Genex. Although, they allowed her to still sell their semen. At least I think so. So she started breeding privately, also became certified to implant embryos. Now they've actually taken her back as an area manager or something and there is another girl breeding.

Amy was downsized about 8 years ago 4 years later rehired after she built her unit back up beyond required numbers. She is now area/regional coordinator and still breeds cows as a relief person. Her unit is now being run by Mitchell White a nice kid that works hard. I know genex is trying to survive the speed bump in the economy and crash of the dairy industry. I cannot fathom why they are laying off sales staff when they need to sale their product.

Sales staff that is'nt profitable is'nt exactly smart business. Sometimes your money ahead to do nothing vs. digging a deeper hole. When steel prices went thru the roof I could'nt compete with the big trailer outfits so I had a couple year vacation now that things have leveled off it's fun building trailers again. Funny how making a profit will do that.I'm sure when things turn around they may need someone back in these areas. The people at the top will try to keep their own jobs before the bottom guys.

Around here the big dairy farms keep these guys busy. Beef cow guys only make up for a small part of their business and thats why they don't spend much time on catering to them.I don't blame them if I only spend $400 a year why would you spend $500 catering to me.

I know myself am only planning on spending $400 with them this year. That's what it takes to get my tank serviced free.

I was top beef salesman in Canada twice for the company that they bought out Alta Genetics-my problem was is Genex pretty much chases EPD's-they weren't getting bulls that I was comfortable selling for them. Other than about thirty catalogues a year I'm a pretty low maintenance rep-I never carried any field inventory-I brought semen in as it was sold. I think I'm just goinmg to market semen on some older proven bulls that I've found in my travels-just trying to figure out how to ransom my Lad semen back from them. You must be pretty high maintenance if it costs $500 a year to cater to you lol-most of my beef guys are pretty easy to deal with. I think Genex figures that people will just order through the office and they can save on commissions. The original company I worked for was Western Breeders-I love to take a walk down memory lane.

Someone had a recommendation once for seasonal breeders to let the person maintaining your tank to hold on to it during the off season. Can't remember where I heard it, sounded like a good idea.

Ben H said:
Someone had a recommendation once for seasonal breeders to let the person maintaining your tank to hold on to it during the off season. Can't remember where I heard it, sounded like a good idea.

I have some old expensive semen that I like to keep an eye on.

Latest posts